Pidgin plugin for SMS/MMS?

Yeah, I'm referring to a plugin that uses the cell module.
If you develop a plugin I would be one of the first in line to test it, and try and port it to my N900...which has sms but no MMS.
I used fMMS successfully when N900 was my primary phone
I have issues with fmms, it can recieve but sending only works if I am sending to tmobile users. ATT, Verizon, etc never get the message.  Thats why I am so interested in this, as I love my N900 dearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikolaus has a few open phone projects under his belt, what do these devices use?

^ Well I meant software wise... although that is the n900, not one of his projects like the GTA04 or openmoko etc...

I know it isnt a lot, but I have $100 for anyone that develops an easy to use method of sending MMS over IP. It will help me with my N900 and will help all of you (and me) with the pyra

It runs Maemo linux (similar to debian)

I think this is worth looking into more.  It seems to speak AT commands over serial, so it should be capable of talking to an internal serial tty device.  And source seems to be available, though I've not even looked at it yet.

There is a note on its FAQ about MMS, and it sounds like it's feasible, but a bit complicated.  It seems than an MMS message is actually a SMS message which points at a SMIL document which contains the animation.  The SMIL file presumably would need to be uploaded to some webspace, to give it a URI, and I'm not sure how mobile operators normally let phones do that.

I have issues with fmms, it can recieve but sending only works if I am sending to tmobile users. ATT, Verizon, etc never get the message.  Thats why I am so interested in this, as I love my N900 dearly.

Ah yes, I love my N900 too, but it destroyed my social life by missing all those mms...

There is a note on its FAQ about MMS, and it sounds like it's feasible, but a bit complicated.  It seems than an MMS message is actually a SMS message which points at a SMIL document which contains the animation.  The SMIL file presumably would need to be uploaded to some webspace, to give it a URI, and I'm not sure how mobile operators normally let phones do that.

It's a bit more complex than that in theory, and much more of a mess in practice.

The basic idea is that the phone receives a special SMS (Wap-push) that points at some URL. The phone then connects to a special APN (though for some operators this is the same as the regular data network) from which it will be able to connect to the URL (in nearly every case this URL can only be reached from that APN). Then it downloads a PDU that it will decode into a multipart message with a SMIL document and various contents. Many operator's MMS APN and servers are quite ureliable and/or slow, so you need to have plenty of checks and fallbacks.

And then, if you want to be compliant to the OMA MMS specifications you need to handle the acks (that you received the notification, that you received the message and that the message was read).

Back