Permission To Write A Pre-order Faq?

TrevorBradley

I'd like permission to write up a FAQ, targeted at users concerned about the pre-order process. There are many questions asked over and over again, for which there really isn't a proper FAQ. They're asked so many times that the harsh response of "We don't know, stop asking questions!" becomes more frequent. It's my belief that this is because the questions are asked over and over again, rather than the questions being inappropriate.

Ideally this would be a guide that people would be able to point to to answer repeated questions. Veteran users are very welcome to ignore it.

However, there are two big problems with this. First, the FAQ would need to be factually accurate. I believe I can faithfully reproduce the data here but I'd like for people to give it a look over to ensure there's no misrepresentation of the actual pre-order process. Secondly, I don't want to step on any toes. Many people here have mentioned that they've stopped asking questions because they get shut down for even asking them. I need to verify that I'm really not going to piss people off by implying certain questions need an answer (even if that answer is "we don't know yet".)

Whether this should be integrated into existing FAQs or be its own document, I'm not sure yet. I have no intention of modifying the wiki with my answers until people feel comfortable with them.

Should I bother with this? Is it worth the effort?

Sounds like a good idea, it just needs to be kept up to date. Another problems is making people read the damn thing, I'm sure plenty won't.

Agreed on keeping it up to date.

Yes, people won't read it, but we can point them to it while copy-pasting the FAQ's answer, which is about half as good. (And then they'll read it, and then eventually learn to read FAQs to answer their questions. In theory it should be a good thing)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your purpose is pure and to be commended.

I fear that there are a number flaws:

People reading the forum cannot be bothered to read Chips summary;
People reading the forum cannot be bothered to read the post three up from theirs answering their question;
(Some) People do not seem to accept that what craigix or Chip have said, never mind somebody who is not a dev, mod or other board celebrity;
How are you going to get definitive answers to everyone's questions and satisfy their fears?

If a FAQ is written, people will probably start threads discussing the FAQ and querying it - there are already a couple threads where many people are getting their concerns off of their chests: why not let them carry on? From what I can see people are asking questions and then getting answers - which are mostly civil.

Other than that, go for it. :)

Probably be a good idea. I myself will no longer ask questions here anymore. I would of loved to join in and get to know the community but it seems that if your not in the know on here you don't get to join in and learn. This is how I feel anyway, I'm not saying this goes for everybody :)

puppydee said:
Probably be a good idea. I myself will no longer ask questions here anymore. I would of loved to join in and get to know the community but it seems that if your not in the know on here you don't get to join in and learn. This is how I feel anyway, I'm not saying this goes for everybody :(
So join in and get involved. Really.

People that ask good questions normally get good answers. Generally it is only people that ask something that has been asked many times or that is quoted in the FAQs etc that get impolite responses. Also, some people seem easily offended because of a poorly worded answer saying that the information you require is in the FAQ.

So to anyone out there: read some of the pages I have linked to in my sig, then if you can't find the answers feel free to ask.
edit:puppydee edited the post by the time I replied. I'll leave it though as I think it's valid. And edited it back. puppydee you are making me dizzy. ;)

puppydee said:
Probably be a good idea. I myself will no longer ask questions here anymore. I would of loved to join in and get to know the community but it seems that if your not in the know on here you don't get to join in and learn. This is how I feel anyway, I'm not saying this goes for everybody :)
This is indeed somewhat frightening. If puppydee feels like this, how many more people (potential devs) would turn away from the Pandora based on an unwelcoming reaction to an innocent question?

If someone is annoyed or offended by a question, step back and wait - someone else will answer. If you scare away people, the project will eventually fizzle out after a batch or two. Developers are the key to keeping a purpose to the Pandora. They're the lifeblood without which the Pandora is nothing more than... you get the idea.

Back