Pda Potential

ashdjones said:
The Epoc emulator has all the functions and applications present in the operating system, plus the ability to run in full colour and at any resolution. As far as I know you can install EPOC apps just like on a real machine, you just drop your files into the right folders.
OK. Consider me corrected then.

Don't forget also, that DosBox creates normal files wherever it is installed - for example, if I open EDIT and write a document and then save it, the file will just exist as a file and not as part of some virtual drive.

As peca mentioned, functioning alarm is a major part of a useful PIM. I know for a fact that SIBO's didn't work. Can the EPOC emulator wake the Pandora up?

Still not ideal though. You might as well buy a real Psion (60 hrs battery life!)

I've had one. In fact, I have three right now (a 5mx, a 5mx Pro and a NetBook). The goal of portable devices however, is to carry as few of them as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karel Jansens said:
The goal of portable devices however, is to carry as few of them as possible.
Oh. :blink: <puts away geek-bandoleer>

Karel Jansens said:
As peca mentioned, functioning alarm is a major part of a useful PIM. I know for a fact that SIBO's didn't work. Can the EPOC emulator wake the Pandora up?
Almost certainly not. Even if the original Win32 app did this, I doubt very much it would through Wine+Qemu (assuming that would even work)... and even if it did, wouldn't you have to rewrite parts of Wine to function with the Pandora hardware?

Karel Jansens said:
I've had one. In fact, I have three right now (a 5mx, a 5mx Pro and a NetBook). The goal of portable devices however, is to carry as few of them as possible.
Agreed!

whatever the PDA it must be compatibilie somehow (through some exports/imports or whatever) with korganizer. I plan to setup :pandora1: to automatically synchronize my TODOs with my desktop korganizer whenever in wireless range. (synchronize both ways of course, depending which one is more recent).

Personally, I don't really care about synching. I tend to keep one schedule in my pocket (on my Sony Ericsson P910i these days) and that's it. I have no underlings nor PHBs that need to know my schedule, so my pc has no idea of my goings on.

This is why Psion's Agenda was so great: It has everything a pc-based PIM has, without the need to synch for "full functionality".

Karel Jansens said:
my pc has no idea of my goings on.
Neither does mine -despite me sitting using it for 8-10 hours a day.

Seriously, the biggest problem with syncing is exactly what do you sync to? Cosurgi says korganizer, which I have to admit I haven't tried. I'm currently using outlook because that is the standard at work. There are mnay others as well. This will probably be a case of:
  • if its a port, it may sync to whatever the original does
  • it will sync to whatever keen developers want it to.
The one recurring theme, that I must admit I hope is available in the near future, is reminders/alarms being able to wake the Pandora, or a alarm interrupt whatever is running, so you don't miss an important appointment because a game has 'taken over' the system.

In terms of a wishlist, I would love to be able to group tasks or next actions into projects and several levels of sub-projects in a hierarchical way. Being able to create repetitive tasks in a number of ways would be sweet. eg. create task only when complete, daily/weekly/monthly or after x days/weeks/months, on the first Monday of a month etc.

Karel Jansens said:
Personally, I don't really care about synching.

I'd connect my Linux PDA to a power source, turn on WiFi, and use X11 over SSH. I could run my PIM app on my Linux PC (well, it would technically be "running" on the PDA, just the app would show up on my desktop) without ever copying over data or futzing with anything.

Back