Pandora As A Pda

WizardStan posted on May 27 2009 at 09:49 AM said:
but a benchmark chart showed that the fastest SD cards on the market were still slower than the average hard drive at random access I/O. That's where the belief that SD swap would be slow. And in theory, it is. In practice, it's hard to say. Maybe it really does take twice as long to swap something out of memory, but two times 1/16 of a second is still imperceptibly small. Maybe once you get up to swap sizes in the dozens of megs you start to notice a difference. Experimentation required, but I honestly don't think it will really add any benefit. Unless you're a tab whore like me that likes to keep 100 or so Firefox tabs open at the same time...
I have no doubt that what you say is true, my point would also be that even with times (on average) as minute as they are, a small swapfile has more pros then cons for most users. Keep in mind this is also done on a SD card for me. I can't comment on NAND.

Last edited by a moderator:
as minute as they are, a small swapfile has more pros then cons for most users. Keep in mind this is also done on a SD card for me. I can't comment on NAND.
Personally, I plan on setting up a swap partition on my 1.8" portable HD. Activating it, only when using the multitasking environment, when I plan on having lots of stuff open. For day to day use. I don't see where a swap file will be necessary for the average joe. You'd be a fool to burn up your NAND by assigning swap space to it.

mindlord posted on May 27 2009 at 10:21 AM) [quote="viridior posted on May 27 2009 at 10:11 AM said:
I have no doubt that what you say is true, my point would also be that even with times (on average"] as minute as they are, a small swapfile has more pros then cons for most users. Keep in mind this is also done on a SD card for me. I can't comment on NAND.
Personally, I plan on setting up a swap partition on my 1.8" portable HD. Activating it, only when using the multitasking environment, when I plan on having lots of stuff open. For day to day use. I don't see where a swap file will be necessary for the average joe. You'd be a fool to burn up your NAND by assigning swap space to it.[/quote]I would say your response, by itself, probably excludes you from the average joe category based on your plan on having more then one environment (not really sure what you mean by multitasking env., you are going to use one that isn't?) and your perceived knowledge on how to turn on swap on and off (and the forethought to do it).

I reiterate, I am not using swap on NAND, and don't have the experience to show any results. From observation I would agree with you that it probably isn't a great idea.

On the 128MB Nokia tablet the good thing about enabling 128MB swap is that when you have some programs running and then you just happen to open yet another browser window and visit a site which turns out to have lots of images, your browser won't suddenly die in flames from sudden out-of-memory syndrome. Because that's what happens without swap: Something's got to go, and the OS may kill another app which uses memory, or let your current app fail in malloc() and die (provided it even _handles_ malloc failure..)
The swap setup is simply there as a safeguard. Most of the time there's hardly anything in swap, so it does no harm to the card and nothing is slowed down. But when you need it it's there, because to me nothing in the computerized world is worse and more annoying than an application crashing.

Does anyone have any experience with Opie?

It seems pretty full featured, and should work with Pandora, right?

VRAndy posted on May 27 2009 at 02:15 PM said:
Does anyone have any experience with Opie?

It seems pretty full featured, and should work with Pandora, right?
Angstrom has it available, and I've seen it floating around in the Gentoo world so I think this is a viable alternative.

Can the Pandora automatically power on and run an alarm? Can this function be enabled by a software upgrade(if it can't do it already)? The inability to automatically power on and set an alarm would take away greatly from using it as a pda.

Chris

christo930 posted on May 27 2009 at 03:32 PM) Can the Pandora automatically power on and run an alarm? Can this function be enabled by a software upgrade(if it can't do it already said:
? The inability to automatically power on and set an alarm would take away greatly from using it as a pda.

Chris
I believe so. Here are threads:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46531
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=41626
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry568882

I can't give you an official confirmation, but it was stated that the RTC could wake it from Suspend to Ram, which the pandora is able to sustain for several weeks, so...

Kimundi posted on May 28 2009 at 04:21 PM said:
I can't give you an official confirmation, but it was stated that the RTC could wake it from Suspend to Ram, which the pandora is able to sustain for several weeks, so...
If that is true then it's good news indeed. :D

Kimundi posted on May 28 2009 at 04:21 PM said:
Interesting... I foresee me setting an alarm on the Pandora just to give me an excuse to take it out and show it off. I literally have no other reason to set alarms, if it doesn't vibrate I'm probably not going to hear it anyway and if it does vibrate for some reason I don't feel it.

Playing a low, bass tone through the Pandora's speakers could, theoretically, cause some vibration, perhaps? Some old mobile phones couldn't ring and vibrate at the same time because they used their speakers to do the vibrateyness. Probably specially designed, though.

If the Pandora could be set up in a LAMP configuration, we could just use MySQL/PHP driven PIM software, with a daemon (or even just a Cron jobbed script) to ensure alarms are actually capable of being sounded at the right time or waking up the Pandora. In fact, thinking about it, just a php shell exec with the right command when an alarm is set would handle it.

Any smuck could write some half decent PHP PIM software, or download it.

Why are peaple ask if pandora will be able to run some pim software ?

There is a pletora of solution allready available (ported, and compiled :) :

GPE: [Angstrom Package] [Website] [Screenshot]
OPIE: [Angstrom Package] [Website] [Screenshot]
pimlico: [Website]

There is qtextended but QT ( aka nokia) unsupported it a few weeks ago and it's futur is uncertain.

And some more...

Don't worry, be happy...

I was always under the impression that even if there wasn't any PDA-like software, I could just open a text editor and type everything there.

Or spend a week or so making a Qt-based GUI suite.

Maybe my Z22 is just a piece of crap, but it seems like writing that kind of software should be very easy.

sebt3 posted on May 29 2009 at 02:15 AM said:
There is a pletora of solution allready available (ported, and compiled :) :

pimlico: [Website][...]

Ported and compiled, but doesn't reach up to the ankle of PIM software on a Palm PDA. I've used all of the above, and I've stopped using 'em too.

Tor posted on May 29 2009 at 11:09 AM) [quote="sebt3 posted on May 29 2009 at 02:15 AM said:
There is a pletora of solution allready available (ported, and compiled :"] :

pimlico: [Website][...]

Ported and compiled, but doesn't reach up to the ankle of PIM software on a Palm PDA. I've used all of the above, and I've stopped using 'em too.[/quote]
What has been the problem with them exactly?

Sorry, but running LAMP on the Pandora just to get a PIM suite is ridiculous. It definitely makes programming it a whole lot easier, but it's not like we have 512M of RAM to run all this stuff and whatever other software we're using, like the RAM-hungry Firefox.

I've never quite settled into the Palm suite myself, because I'd have to update my Palm whenever I got a new e-mail, or event, or whatever. GPE, OPIE, and pimlico all look a little too independent for me. I'd much rather have a PIM suite that can sync with other software or services, like Google's.

javaJake posted on May 29 2009 at 01:15 PM said:
Sorry, but running LAMP on the Pandora just to get a PIM suite is ridiculous.
You say that now... but when I'm accessing my PIM suite via WIFI using my desktop browser you will bow to my use-web-programming-as-a-solution-to-everything awesomeness!

I once wrote a game in VBScript/HTML...

javaJake posted on May 29 2009 at 08:15 AM said:
I've never quite settled into the Palm suite myself, because I'd have to update my Palm whenever I got a new e-mail, or event, or whatever. GPE, OPIE, and pimlico all look a little too independent for me. I'd much rather have a PIM suite that can sync with other software or services, like Google's.
GPE, OPIE and pimlico (at least svn trunk) can sync using opensync (even undocumented, those in the list _should_ work). and opensync is able to sync to google, so you should be happy...

Thanks all for your replies. I hadn't really thought about the PIM software as such. So thanks to Tor, Sebt3 and others for their input. At least I know there are options out there to try at some stage. I figure Pandora will have better applications and using Google sounds interesting.

Synchronisation (aka back-up) will need special thought as we're likely to have other data than needs securing. As we would be network attached (WIFI) then possibly something like rsync. Another topic for another thread no doubt.

Other than looking for a keyring replacement (keepass?), I guess the killer app needed for me to ditch the clie will be the alarm feature. This was the main focus of the thread.

I know the Pandora will have different ways of going dormant and wondered if any of these could be exploited.
Pleng Posted May 28 2009, 07:28 PM

Kimundi @ May 28 2009, 04:21 PM

If that is true then it's good news indeed. :D
This gives me some hope. Ok, beyond my coding skills, but this could be the basis for an alarm app (if confirmed).

Back