Pcsx4All Compatibility List

is there any guide how to get max performance? (i.e. what CPU bias or frameskip to use)
it's extremely time-consuming to try all the combinations, a few hints would be useful (for example what do the CPU bias settings mean, what's the difference between video and game frameskips, how is the frameskip working (less FPS but faster gameplay), what is 'CPU clock', etc)

glezmen said:
is there any guide how to get max performance? (i.e. what CPU bias or frameskip to use)
it's extremely time-consuming to try all the combinations, a few hints would be useful (for example what do the CPU bias settings mean, what's the difference between video and game frameskips, how is the frameskip working (less FPS but faster gameplay), what is 'CPU clock', etc)

It's depends of the game you try!

Last edited by a moderator:
glezmen said:
It's all in the README file. The HLE cpu setting is the fastest, but might be less compatible. The bios cpu setting uses the actual psx bios for better compatibility, but it is slower. I don't have the readme open so I don't know off the top of my head what the other HLE (interpreter) and Bios (interpreter) have that's different. I do know that those two are slower than using HLE as well.

matt101 said:
Guys I just found a flaw in the pcsx controls on oddworld abe's oddysee. Quite early on in the game it asks you to chant by pressing and holding L1 and L2. Then you try and do it and find you can't because on the wiz L=L1 and L+Select=L2 so it is impossible. Correct me if I am wrong and if there is an easy workaround for this, but from what I can see it is not possible. Is this something I should put on the spreadsheet?

You chant with L1 and R1, but with mine Abe keeps getting stuck on the lifts and I have to jump to progress. I am using a verified dump (v1.1) from redump.org (and yes I do own the original).

I was looking forward to this emulator but now i've tried it and haven't had much luck with anything (same with most people) I gave up. I'll wait until they improve it (if and whenever that may be).

geise69 said:
glezmen said:
It's all in the README file. The HLE cpu setting is the fastest, but might be less compatible. The bios cpu setting uses the actual psx bios for better compatibility, but it is slower. I don't have the readme open so I don't know off the top of my head what the other HLE (interpreter) and Bios (interpreter) have that's different. I do know that those two are slower than using HLE as well.

thanks, the BIOS/HLE was clear for me
i didn't notice the readme file (shame on me), it gives all the answers i needed, thanks!

hmm I guess you can use either L1+L2 or L2 + R2 because I tried it and you were right but it says in the controls that it is L1+L2, that's what confused me...

Thanks anyways...

I started the list to both work as a compatibility list to show what does and does not work, and also as an optimization guide of sorts so that if someone finds better settings they can replace the settings there with their own, better optimized settings. The only issue with letting it be community maintained is that everyone has their own concept of what's a "green" status game or a "blue" status game, and overnight I've had some entries that I myself have personally tested that have just disappeared entirely and I've had to replace them from a backup.

The other thing that's problematic is the issue of sorting, etc. But I think it's going well, all things considered. Yeah, the emulator is a little slow, but if you think about it, considering what hardware it's running on, it's not bad. The ability to change the PSX clock speeds is really the only thing that's making a lot of games work, games that don't use the full power of the hardware, but those are few and far between and the option does cause issues with some games. All things said and done, Breath of fire III seems to work at damn near real speed, so I'm happy.

notaz said:
Reo said:
The compatibility is a bit sad. I was hoping to at least see Tomb Raider and Crash go in-game no matter how slow it actually ran, but both of them crash before even getting in-game. But what could I do about it?
Try messing with settings, especially with that bias one, it causes various effects ranging from emulator crash, game crash, game logic breakage to a working game.
I've tried biases 2, 3, and 4 because the readme said 4 usually works, but 2 and 3 are needed for some games because it's closer to an actual PS1. I've tried almost all bias settings with cpu settings and I threw some game-fixes in just for the hell of it.

Azerty16 said:
Who have deleted my Spyro configuration? :angry:

I put it back, but I don't think it's running at full speed, I'll have to look into it.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Azerty16 said:
Who have deleted my Spyro configuration? :angry:

I put it back, but I don't think it's running at full speed, I'll have to look into it.
Ok thanx for the anwser!

I'd love to start testing, but I can't even get it to recognise any bin+cues I place in the ISO directory.

*edit: turns out I'm an idiot.... forgot to change extension from .BIN to .bin

craigix said:
I don't think the amount of time/effort should make any difference. It's all about the results. Ginge just works better, feels more complete and brings a lot more to the plate. It's kind of fantastic that you can play the winning entry on the runner up on the Pandora.

PCSX is a great achievement but I don't think it had the edge over Ginge at the time they were judged. It almost felt like the result of the emulator competition was decided before we even knew the entries, the magic PSX emu was coming and it would win!

I think Ginge is a much more interesting bit of software as it opens up so many more possibilities than PCSX right now.

That was enough for me. I don't imagine a more disrespectful and hypocritical message about the hard work of two people spending their spare time for several months. Bye bye :D

Franxis said:
craigix said:
I don't think the amount of time/effort should make any difference. It's all about the results. Ginge just works better, feels more complete and brings a lot more to the plate. It's kind of fantastic that you can play the winning entry on the runner up on the Pandora.

PCSX is a great achievement but I don't think it had the edge over Ginge at the time they were judged. It almost felt like the result of the emulator competition was decided before we even knew the entries, the magic PSX emu was coming and it would win!

I think Ginge is a much more interesting bit of software as it opens up so many more possibilities than PCSX right now.

That was enough for me. I don't imagine a more disrespectful and hypocritical message about the hard work of two people spending their spare time for several months. Bye bye :D
You are saying this because Craig likes Ginge more? Read his post again, he called PCSX "a great achievement". Doesn't sound disrespectfull at all :/

ndbsolar said:
Franxis said:
craigix said:

You are saying this because Craig likes Ginge more? Read his post again, he called PCSX "a great achievement". Doesn't sound disrespectfull at all :/

I agree. The first two sentences weren't really that, um, good. But he didn't seem that offensive.

ndbsolar said:
Franxis said:
craigix said:

What!? o_O

Rivroner said:
ndbsolar said:
Franxis said:
craigix said:

What!? o_O
This is a criticism of the judges of the competition. Not a criticism of the emulator, or the hard work put into it. I don't think you understand the meaning of his post.

Franxis said:
craigix said:

Nooooo! Franxis stay on!

PCSX4ALL is an amazing achievement, never thought I'd see the day wiz could achieve so much, and haven't been so excited and impressed since megadrive emulation hit the GP32.

So a huge thank you from me anyways :)

Cheers, Simon

Huh ... I came here to learn about PCSX compatibility and instead learned the developer has left.
Shouldn't ya'll be sending him beer and women?

traylorpark said:
Huh ... I came here to learn about PCSX compatibility and instead learned the developer has left.
Shouldn't ya'll be sending him beer and women?
Franxis seem to have a personal grudge agaisnt Craig for whatever reason (as most of the spanish people on these boards seem to).
It's a shame that he uses that grudge against the largest community on the boards, and a community who would love to have him onside.

Back