Pcsx4All Caanoo Beta Testing Results

i want to test multiple disks games but it'll take a lot of time. can someone confirm if this is supported?

madthrillz said:
Device: Caanoo
Game: Suikoden II(US)NTSC
File Type: .ISO
Clock: 750mhz
Bias: 5
Frameskip: 0
Frame limit: on
SD Card: Kingston 16gb class 4
Able to save game to memory card: NO
Playable: Very Playable
Sound: Slow/Bad- sometimes ok

Game works well with no graphical glitches. Movies play well but sound is labored. Framerate and sound is good in small rooms but drops when entering larger areas. Frameskip doesn't seem to do much for performance but overclocking does increase the performance some. Battles can be slow, a little slower than what was seen from Suikoden I. Overall compatible but not playable due to not being able to save to the memory card (this IS an RPG afterall)

you actually can save in some games. resident evil 2 saves in game but can take up to 2 minutes to save. if it seems like the emulator froze when trying to save just wait a couple of minutes and see if it works.

there is also the save state (start+r) and save load function (start+l).

overall saving takes a long time sometimes don't work. whenever i save i have to pray that it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruffnutts said:
So for the lack of testing me better half just had a baby - will get on it soon ;)

Congratulations :)

CKeichel said:
Short question has anybody else the impression, that the frameskip doesn't work the way you would expect it? One example, if I run Wipeout3 with FS 0, I get about 30 frames, out of 60 possible frames. If I run it with FS 1, I get 15 frames out of 30 and with FS 2 I get 10 out of 20. I always get 50% of the possible frames, shouldn't it be, that I get 30/60 with FS 0 and 30/30 with FS 1?

Frameskip doesn't give you a perfect speedup - you won't ever go from half speed to full speed by skipping every other frame. You only save the time spent rendering the screen, which depends on how much is being rendered and how often. For most PS1 games the frame rate will usually be 30Hz or less to begin with, so with fs1 you'd actually be changing nothing because you'd just be skipping frames where the game isn't doing anything. This of course depends on what frameskip means to the emulator.

Even if you skip frames where work is being done you won't speed up linearly because the emulator is still spending the same amount of time emulating everything else like CPU, audio, etc. CPU in particular will take some time, hence why the bias settings have such a huge impact.

However I would expect you to get some improvement at some point past the game's natural framerate. Are you sure that it scales exactly like you say it does? In that case either the video rendering would consist of little or nothing (definitely not the case for a 3D game) or the frameskipping really is broken.

ruffnutts said:
So for the lack of testing me better half just had a baby - will get on it soon ;)

Congratulations mate :)

blues2 said:
madthrillz said:
Game: Suikoden II(US)NTSC
Frameskip: 0
Able to save game to memory card: NO
Playable: Very Playable
Sound: Slow/Bad- sometimes ok

Game works well with no graphical glitches. Movies play well but sound is labored. Framerate and sound is good in small rooms but drops when entering larger areas. Frameskip doesn't seem to do much for performance but overclocking does increase the performance some. Battles can be slow, a little slower than what was seen from Suikoden I. Overall compatible but not playable due to not being able to save to the memory card (this IS an RPG afterall)

you actually can save in some games. resident evil 2 saves in game but can take up to 2 minutes to save. if it seems like the emulator froze when trying to save just wait a couple of minutes and see if it works.

there is also the save state (start+r) and save load function (start+l).

overall saving takes a long time sometimes don't work. whenever i save i have to pray that it works.

I didn't realize that there was a save state option! thanks for pointing that out. I meant that you cannot save to the memory card.. well it saves, but when loading it gives an error. However, with save states the game becomes playable.. still not enjoyable, I am picky when it comes to emulation being near perfect.

Game: Legend of Legaia (US)NTSC
Frameskip: 0 (tried higher skip values, the game becomes too choppy.)
Able to save game to memory card: YES
Playable: NO, the game freezes going into battles.
Sound: ok - a little slow at times
Graphics: in small rooms the framerate is near full speed, it drops quite a bit in big environments, no graphical glitches

This RPG works well, but when going into battles the game freezes making it unplayable. It's a shame because the out of battle graphics and music are acceptable.

madthrillz said:
I didn't realize that there was a save state option! thanks for pointing that out. I meant that you cannot save to the memory card.. well it saves, but when loading it gives an error. However, with save states the game becomes playable.. still not enjoyable, I am picky when it comes to emulation being near perfect.

you can save on the memory card for some games, that was what i meant when i said you can save IN GAME. try it, if the emulator seems to freeze whan your saving to memory card leave it alone for a couple of minutes and it'll finish. i have to warn you it will take a long time and make disturbing sounds if it does save.

ruffnutts said:

WHAT!? Outrageous!...Fatherhood? What a laaaame excuse for slacking off...GO BACK TO YOUR TESTING LAIR!!

:p

Congratulations ;)

LOL Khan... cheers all :D

I`ve tested 2x different images of Pandemonium and no go ggrrrr - gutted

BTW Khan how long for the next beta still need that .cbn support badly ;)

ruffnutts...

Exophase said:
CKeichel said:
Short question has anybody else the impression, that the frameskip doesn't work the way you would expect it? One example, if I run Wipeout3 with FS 0, I get about 30 frames, out of 60 possible frames. If I run it with FS 1, I get 15 frames out of 30 and with FS 2 I get 10 out of 20. I always get 50% of the possible frames, shouldn't it be, that I get 30/60 with FS 0 and 30/30 with FS 1?

Frameskip doesn't give you a perfect speedup - you won't ever go from half speed to full speed by skipping every other frame. You only save the time spent rendering the screen, which depends on how much is being rendered and how often. For most PS1 games the frame rate will usually be 30Hz or less to begin with, so with fs1 you'd actually be changing nothing because you'd just be skipping frames where the game isn't doing anything. This of course depends on what frameskip means to the emulator.

Even if you skip frames where work is being done you won't speed up linearly because the emulator is still spending the same amount of time emulating everything else like CPU, audio, etc. CPU in particular will take some time, hence why the bias settings have such a huge impact.

However I would expect you to get some improvement at some point past the game's natural framerate. Are you sure that it scales exactly like you say it does? In that case either the video rendering would consist of little or nothing (definitely not the case for a 3D game) or the frameskipping really is broken.

Ok, found the problem, it seems, I wasn't able to read the documentation properly. PCSX4All gives you the choice to use the frameskip on the refresh rate (frameskip video) or the games fps (frameskip game). I thought, just as you, that the game runs with 30 fps, the default fs value is 2, so fs0 and fs2 should make a difference. But when I choose fs0 for the games internal fps, I saw, that Wipeout3 only runs with 20 fps, so the difference between fs0 and fs2 is much smaller then I thought.

For CAANOO :

Alundra :
- Format : .bin
- Video : PAL
- WIZ CLOCK : 800
- Ram Tweaks : ON
- Limit : OFF
- Frameskip : 2(video)
- Sound : XA+CD
- CPU Clock : 100 %
- CPU BIAS : 4
- CPU CORE : HLE

Remarques : Perfect

Battle Arena Toshinden :
- Video : NTSC
- WIZ CLOCK : 850
- Frameskip : 0(video)
- CPU Clock : 200 %

Remarques : Playable but 70% of original speed

Bloody Roar :

Bushido Blade :
- CPU BIAS : 7

Chocobo Racing :

Chocobos Dungeon 2 :

Crash Bash :

Capscom Vs Snk Pro :
- Sound : XA

Carmageddon :

Castlevania : Symphony of The Night :

Remarques : Great, but crashes for me when I play

Fighting Force :
Remarques : Playable, but slow sometimes.

Moto Racer :

Oddworld : L'odyssée d'Abe :
- WIZ CLOCK : 533
- Ram Tweaks : OFF
Remarques : Perfect

Silent Hill :
Remarques : Playable but 50% or so of original speed

Don't work :

- Aladdin : La revanche de Nasira PAL
- Alien Resurrection PAL
- Alundra 2 Une légende est née PAS
- Castlevania Chronicles
- Crash Bandicoot 1 PAL
- Crash Bandicoot 2 PAL
- Crash Bandicoot 3 PAL
- Crash Team Racing PAL
- Croc 2
- Doom
- Driver 2 PAL
- Front Mission 3
- R-Type Delta PAL
- Raiden Project

AJack said:
Managed to get the Winter Releases '98 demo disc running (to my great surprise), so here's reviews for a bunch of game demos:

Winter Releases '98 (demo disc) PAL
Caanoo Clock: 800mhz
Format: ISO
Default Settings, video frameskip OFF.

Kula World - Compatible, Medium/Fast - Counter reads 25-30/50 fps, though the game feels more smooth and responsive than that; definitely playable. A few little visual glitches, texture-wise. Sounds seems fine, limited by framerate.

Medievil - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 20-30/50 fps, too slow to be playable. Movies run ok, a little slow. Sound seems fine, limited by framerate. One visual glitch involving a flare of light appearing on screen, otherwise no obvious issues.

Tombi - Partially Compatible - Game runs beautifully until you actually get started on a level, whereupon it locks the Caanoo up after about 3 seconds. Menus, sound and movies all run a-ok til then.

Tekken 3 - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 30-35/50 fps, though the game feels pretty slow, maybe half speed. No obvious visual or audio glitches and the movies ran at close to full-speed.

Might do a few more later.

By the way, Ajack...Have those tests been made with the same settings? (Caanoo Clock: 800mhz; Format: ISO; Default Settings, video frameskip OFF)

It may look it only applies to the Winter Releases demo.

blues2 said:
...there is also the save state (start+r) and save load function (start+l).

OK, is there a Button Config or some kind of list of what buttons do what in the emulator? I didn't know the FPS Display command until awhile back, and now I hear that there is Save States? I'll have to try them out!

Khan said:
AJack said:
Managed to get the Winter Releases '98 demo disc running (to my great surprise), so here's reviews for a bunch of game demos:

Winter Releases '98 (demo disc) PAL
Caanoo Clock: 800mhz
Format: ISO
Default Settings, video frameskip OFF.

Kula World - Compatible, Medium/Fast - Counter reads 25-30/50 fps, though the game feels more smooth and responsive than that; definitely playable. A few little visual glitches, texture-wise. Sounds seems fine, limited by framerate.

Medievil - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 20-30/50 fps, too slow to be playable. Movies run ok, a little slow. Sound seems fine, limited by framerate. One visual glitch involving a flare of light appearing on screen, otherwise no obvious issues.

Tombi - Partially Compatible - Game runs beautifully until you actually get started on a level, whereupon it locks the Caanoo up after about 3 seconds. Menus, sound and movies all run a-ok til then.

Tekken 3 - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 30-35/50 fps, though the game feels pretty slow, maybe half speed. No obvious visual or audio glitches and the movies ran at close to full-speed.

Might do a few more later.

By the way, Ajack...Have those tests been made with the same settings? (Caanoo Clock: 800mhz; Format: ISO; Default Settings, video frameskip OFF)

It may look it only applies to the Winter Releases demo.

Hi Khan,

Yep, all used the same settings. I figured that in theory, if these games run off the demo disc then presumably the full-versions would run too (seeing as how the demos are essentially the full versions with bits removed). However, that's just guesswork on my part.

Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of the super heroes -NTSC
Format .img/sub
Caanoo Clock, 750Mhz
Default Settings
FPS = 18-26 fps
Runs fine, a little slow at times but definitely playable, crashed once

Silent Hill PAL
Format .bin
Clock 750Mhz
Default settings
FPS = 10-11
Compatible, very slow, graphical glitches, cutscenes work

Castlevania : Symphony of The Night PAL
Format .bin
Clock 750Mhz
Default settings
FPS (when working) 20-28
Crashed within a few seconds of gameplay twice, the third time it froze after a few seconds

Resident Evil Director's cut :
- WIZ CLOCK : 750
- Sound : ON(basic)
Wouldn't start at all

tony hawk pro skater 2 :
- Format : .bin/cue
- Video : auto
- WIZ CLOCK : 760
- Limit : ON
noticible lag,missing textures, and choppy sound...playable...yes

spider man 2: enter electro :
- Format : .bin/cue
- Video : auto
- WIZ CLOCK : 770
- Limit : ON
dies after first logo (red marvel logo)...playable...no

Tekken 3 :
- FPS 12-15
compatible, slow, sound distorted, semi-playable

Carmageddon :
- FPS 9-11
Very slow, unplayable, sound distorted

ruffnutts said:
LOL Khan... cheers all :D

I`ve tested 2x different images of Pandemonium and no go ggrrrr - gutted

BTW Khan how long for the next beta still need that .cbn support badly ;)

ruffnutts...

Chui said:
I´ll ask Franxis about that. But I suppose it shares the same support as PCSX Reloaded (The emu Pcsx4all is based on) so checking compatibility with CBN image files in their website should be enough

The reason why I wanted .cbn support is because I have to keep ripping games that I already have in that format lol,
So time consuming...

Back