Pcsx4All Caanoo Beta Testing Results

CKeichel said:
@ Qbertaddict

How did you manage this, the emulator doesn't recognize the cue file, how can the CD music played correct, without the information of the cue file?
I am uploading a video showing my bin and cue including the cuesheet contents me changing cd tracks as well in game cd music

I will post the link later. Not sure why yours does not play it. All my games have cd music it seems. WIPEOUT XL does as well. I select firestarter from the prodigy :) Are you selecting XA=CD-AUDIO in your settings?

EDIT:
Here is a youtube video of me using wipeout xl with cd sound and tempestx3 with sound as well.

Tempest X3 and Wipeout XL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MTm-4ksJw

Wipeout
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWN07cJsoRY

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to get the Winter Releases '98 demo disc running (to my great surprise), so here's reviews for a bunch of game demos:

Winter Releases '98 (demo disc) PAL
Caanoo Clock: 800mhz
Format: ISO
Default Settings, video frameskip OFF.

Kula World - Compatible, Medium/Fast - Counter reads 25-30/50 fps, though the game feels more smooth and responsive than that; definitely playable. A few little visual glitches, texture-wise. Sounds seems fine, limited by framerate.

Medievil - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 20-30/50 fps, too slow to be playable. Movies run ok, a little slow. Sound seems fine, limited by framerate. One visual glitch involving a flare of light appearing on screen, otherwise no obvious issues.

Tombi - Partially Compatible - Game runs beautifully until you actually get started on a level, whereupon it locks the Caanoo up after about 3 seconds. Menus, sound and movies all run a-ok til then.

Tekken 3 - Compatible, Slow - Counter reads 30-35/50 fps, though the game feels pretty slow, maybe half speed. No obvious visual or audio glitches and the movies ran at close to full-speed.

Might do a few more later.

qbertaddict said:
CKeichel said:
@ Qbertaddict

How did you manage this, the emulator doesn't recognize the cue file, how can the CD music played correct, without the information of the cue file?
I am uploading a video showing my bin and cue including the cuesheet contents me changing cd tracks as well in game cd music

I will post the link later. Not sure why yours does not play it. All my games have cd music it seems. WIPEOUT XL does as well. I select firestarter from the prodigy :) Are you selecting XA=CD-AUDIO in your settings?

EDIT:
Here is a youtube video of me using wipeout xl with cd sound and tempestx3 with sound as well.

Wipeout

It wasn't that I didn't believe you, don't worry, I just didn't knew, how it can work and I see it now, you have 1 cue and 1 bin file per game right?
What I have here are images with seperated audio tracks, that are connected via a cue file. With these images (that are not so uncommon as it may sound) each audio track is in a seperate bin file.

CKeichel said:
qbertaddict said:
CKeichel said:
@ Qbertaddict

EDIT:

Wipeout

It wasn't that I didn't believe you, don't worry, I just didn't knew, how it can work and I see it now, you have 1 cue and 1 bin file per game right?
What I have here are images with seperated audio tracks, that are connected via a cue file. With these images (that are not so uncommon as it may sound) each audio track is in a seperate bin file.

I didn't take it that way I just wanted people to see the video :) Yeah my cue sheet has all the cd tracks listed in it and just the one bin. Im sure you can find some other images ;)

Sure, I can find other images, no problem, but support of the cue sheet in the emulator would also be great, but that's no big deal.

Short question has anybody else the impression, that the frameskip doesn't work the way you would expect it? One example, if I run Wipeout3 with FS 0, I get about 30 frames, out of 60 possible frames. If I run it with FS 1, I get 15 frames out of 30 and with FS 2 I get 10 out of 20. I always get 50% of the possible frames, shouldn't it be, that I get 30/60 with FS 0 and 30/30 with FS 1?

CKeichel said:
Short question has anybody else the impression, that the frameskip doesn't work the way you would expect it? One example, if I run Wipeout3 with FS 0, I get about 30 frames, out of 60 possible frames. If I run it with FS 1, I get 15 frames out of 30 and with FS 2 I get 10 out of 20. I always get 50% of the possible frames, shouldn't it be, that I get 30/60 with FS 0 and 30/30 with FS 1?

yeah i thought that too. it's as if it doesn't do anything but simplify the fps indicator. can someone explain what it does?

Device: Caanoo
Game: Suikoden I (US)
File Type: .Bin
Clock: 700mhz
Bias: 4
Frameskip: 0
Frame limit: on

Game and Video runs at nearly full speed. Battle Sequences are a little slow but very playable. However, the sound loops the first two seconds of each track over and over again making the music audio unplayable. Sound effects are fine with little crackling. Overall this one is definitely compatable/playable but broken sound really kills the experience. Different Bias and overclock values were tested with very little difference in performance.

CKeichel said:

Well, it could have something to do with the BIAS setting...increasing that value (usually >3) is like playing in an underclocked PSX, so the less taxing games may benefit from it.

I may be wrong as I don´t own a Wiz nor a Caanoo :p but you could fiddle with that BIAS setting and see if it has some impact on your FPS ;)

Game: Alundra(US)NTSC
File Type: .ISO
Clock: 700mhz
Bias: 4
SD Card: Kingston 16gb class 4
Able to save game to memory card: YES
Playable: Very Playable
Sound: Ok/Good

Game works very well, no graphical glitches, the framerate drops a little when a lot of things are going on but still very playable. Increasing clock helps a little with the slowdown which isn't very much. Sound is acceptable most of the time, I can actually stand to keep the sound on with this one. Doesn't skip and doesn't crackle much.

Game: Suikoden II(US)NTSC
File Type: .ISO
Clock: 750mhz
Bias: 5
SD Card: Kingston 16gb class 4
Able to save game to memory card: NO
Playable: Very Playable
Sound: Slow/Bad- sometimes ok

Game works well with no graphical glitches. Movies play well but sound is labored. Framerate and sound is good in small rooms but drops when entering larger areas. Frameskip doesn't seem to do much for performance but overclocking does increase the performance some. Battles can be slow, a little slower than what was seen from Suikoden I. Overall compatible but not playable due to not being able to save to the memory card (this IS an RPG afterall)

Khan said:
CKeichel said:

Well, it could have something to do with the BIAS setting...increasing that value (usually >3) is like playing in an underclocked PSX, so the less taxing games may benefit from it.

I may be wrong as I don´t own a Wiz nor a Caanoo :p but you could fiddle with that BIAS setting and see if it has some impact on your FPS ;)

The effect I described appears, when I only change the frameskip, playing with the BIAS leads to higher framerates, but only with slower gameplay. With identical BIAS settings, the FS should have impact on both, the maximal possible framerate (works) and the achieved framerate (works on partially, achieved framerate is always the same percentage of the maximum framerate, regardless of FS setting).

Back