Joypad Setup For All Emulators Question?

coevin

Hi everyone.

This is just a question to see if its possible and would anyone be skilled enough to do it.

Basically i was wondering whether a program could be used and attached to every emulator so they are able to run a joypad. Now i dont know about programming stuff i was just wondering as im sure there is something similiar on the pc emulation scene (maybe im wrong). Basically there are some emulators out there which alot of people would give anything to be able to use pads for such as amiga and c64.

Also if this was acheivable it could also be used on the pandora.

Now forgive me if im just stupid as like i said i have no programming knowledge i was just wondering if its possible and would anyone give it a go.

Hi

Do you mean a joypad hooked up via USB, or through a cradle, or what? It's a little unclear there, but I am sure that it would be very easy to have a routine built into gmenu or whatever to load drivers for a compatible USB joypad whenever any application classed as an emulator is loaded from within gmenu. I don't see why not.

Yeah joypads through the cradle.

But obviously not all emulators except this so i was wondering was there a program which could be added so all emulators would be able to use them.

yeah thats the one i was thinking off. Now i dont have any experiance but how easy would a programmer find this? It needs to be done would be awesome.

This would be handy. Not all emulators currently support USB pads and many of those that do won't allow you to map the buttons the way you want (Picodrive does and it remains my fave emulator as a result).

A 'catch all' program that allowed you to map buttons for all emulators would be great, but the emulators themselves would have to feature some kind of USB support, I'm guessing? Or could the program in question just replicate the buttons of the GP2X?

Any flash programmers out there? :D

I've managed to compile joy2key for the gp2x, it was pretty painless, but I have neither a USB cable or a Cradle/BOB. It does seem to run fine from telnet, but it gives the error

CODE
Version: 1.6.1 Binary built on Mar 10 2008 at 18:57:50

Error opening /dev/input/js0!
Are you sure you have joystick support in your kernel?

Maybe that's because I don't have a controller hooked up? If anyone wants the binary I made to test, i'll post a link, but you should be comfy with creating scripts and config files.

Wait, how would that work? Most GP2X applications read neither the Linux joystick devices nor the keyboard. Pretty much everything is done directly through the GPIO device or by reading the registers manually. Joy2Key simply emulates keyboard events upon particular joystick button presses, but if the application doesn't use the keyboard in the first place, it is useless.

Basically, you'll have to ask authors to add support for standard joystick devices or get the code and do it yourself.

Yeah, I had a feeling this wouldn't work (after looking at the source code). It was just an idea. And its not all been a waste of time, I finally have a working GP2X build environment set-up again. :)

Back