Pc To Tv S Video

clarky2o2o

What is the best way to get videos to play back on a TV screen using S-video cable.

also what resolution is a TV screen (both standard and hi def's) (so i can encode if necessary).

I know most nVidia cards have TV-out through s-video, and I'm going to assume ATI does too

never used mine because I don't have a TV near me, and I don't have my x-server configured for that either.

and the resolution information probably can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

I know HD displays it depends on whether it's 480i or 1080i etc

Im guessing you have a Graphics Card with Twin monitor outputs (most do now)?? if so, why not just connect to your TV using VGA? Nearly all HD tvs have VGA / PC input...

erm not sure about this one, but if you want an HD resolution i think youll need a DVI or HDMI input/output, as other cables wont carry a HD signal. DVI is probably your best bet as it seems to be fairly standard now.

loz_the_guru posted on Mar 4 2007 at 01:59 PM said:
erm not sure about this one, but if you want an HD resolution i think youll need a DVI or HDMI input/output, as other cables wont carry a HD signal. DVI is probably your best bet as it seems to be fairly standard now.

Xbox 360 VGA cable outputs HD doesnt it??....

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to output video from my pc to tv via the s-video and using a Nvidia graphics card. I soon found a much better way of watching video files on my tv, and thats a XBOX with XBMC (Xbox Media Centre). Its now a fully fledged media centre and wouldnt go back to streaming them directly off my pc to tv.

Just a thought :D

The best way to play video on a tv is by using a svhs cable (exept if you have vga in on an new tv)
Most classic tv's have a resoluion of ~640x480 (or 720 for wide-screen.)
But i found that using 800x600 output gives better results on normal tv's (you get sort of an antialias effect.)
Hi-def is 1024x768 or ? x 1080.

I would also avise you to use "TVtool" with your tv out. This program adds many options to adjust the quality of your tv-out signal. Out of the box it "magics" your screen centered and brightness calibrated.

I use my tv-out for playing divx, Emulators, and pc action games.

i had a cable with my tv that had a normal monitor connection thingy on one end (the blue one) and the other end was white (i think dvi or somethin ?). i had no idea that my pc could play on both my tv and monitor i just plugged things in that fitted the wholes and it worked :).

yup, you can also set one monitor up to display one thing and one to disply another.. Eg I was going to get a 15 inch LCD and have my 19" LCD for Main stuff and the Desktop and the 15" to display something like windows Media Player..

Have you saw the Surround setups on Widescreengamingforum?? -

Surroundequation.png

Guildwarssurround.jpg

Nearly all PC monitors display HD... HD is just a high resoultion isnt it?.. The thing with TV's advertising HD so much now is because TV's can now disply the "HD" resolutions that PC monitors can... I think thats right anyway :)

Forget s-video if you've got an ATI card (and you're in Europe or if you're among the few who have RGB compatible TVs in the US) - you want a VGA to SCART cable. Instructions for building one are over here: http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/. And yes, for *nix nuts, it's possible to use it in conjunction with the Xorg radeon-driver by supplying the ForceMinDotClock-option and an appropriate ModeLine.

steve-o that looks quite good :) I actually have my 19" monitor on my desk then my 32" on some drawers to the left. Since i have moved room i have lots more space so i might get my old 17" big fat normal monitor thing and see if i can have all 3 workin on my pc :p

Back