PC Gaming. What kind of games?

Ok. ARM processor runs on Linux. I know steam games that run on Linux. Are they using ARM? I don't need Wine if games are already ported over. Goes back to the first post where I asked if games could run on this device like typical Linux bought from Best Buy.
Not without slow emulation. plus didn't think best buy sold Linux games.. And the Pandora hardware wise is kind of limited for todays standards.. However we can get away with a lot since we're not running a bloated OS like iOS and Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. ARM processor runs on Linux. I know steam games that run on Linux. Are they using ARM? I don't need Wine if games are already ported over. Goes back to the first post where I asked if games could run on this device like typical Linux bought from Best Buy.
Not without slow emulation.
Hm thats to bad. I was hopping for a light PC gaming on the go. I could get it for other things though. Maybe replace my tablet and use its apps plus more

Edit: How do you use an andriod app from Google Play on a linux?

well it depends on your definition of light.. We do have a native port of Starcraft, Quake III era games. such as Jedi Knight II and III, Return of Castle Wolfenstien.. Alien Vs Predator and some of the other older titles that been open sourced.. With ScummVM we have most of the Lucas Arts adventure games, with Residual we can play Grimm Fandango. Descent Series, including Freespace 1 and 2.

There is a metric ton of things to play on the Pandora.. But this device isn't for everyone...

http://repo.openpandora.org

i'm still waiting for PC games on the Pandora!! it's lacking. i hoped that the pandora can play those 1990s PC games. i got descent 1 and 2 and xcom but there are a lot more. like Fallout 1 and 2!!

Stellanatus, are you considering the Pandora also, or just the Pyra?  Thanks to the wonderful people in the community the Pandora has a lot of great software.  There is no reason to think the same won't be true of the Pyra.  You may not be able to get all of the specific games you want, but you have seen what has been offered for the Pandora, so there is no reason to think the Pyra won't get the same kind of love.  Things may be even better since there probably won't be so many hurt feeling and bad memories this time around, and we will have a bit more in the hardware department to utilize.

I am pretty sure Android and Google Play will be usable with a Pyra with little effort.  I think I remember ED or someone linking to Android for this SoC (processor and stuff), or a devboard with the SoC.  I don't know if anything special needs to be done (for performance, or to get Android running).  I think at least one person has expressed an interest in Android VMs so that they can use their Android and Pyra stuff at the same time.  I would probably mess with an Android VM on it from time to time, although I would more likely use something else. 

As for general purpose use, that is how some of us primarily use our Pandoras.  The Pyra will be capable of much more.  As TrashyMG said, these aren't for everybody.  To get the most out of them it helps to have some technical knowledge.  When the Pyra is released it probably won't be ready for the average consumer right away.  Linux as the OS, the physical keyboard, etc., were selected for specific reasons.  If those are things you wish you had when using your tablet, and you like messing around for fun, or are willing to work to get things functioning, these might be for you.  

In my family we all play computer/video games, and work with computers, in some form, a lot.  I am not sure how that compares to others around the world.  Here I am alone in my interest in the Pandora and Pyra.  Minecraft was not enough to win one over, who plays it frequently on a Windows laptop.  They also use an Android fone they are tied to at all times, a 3DS, our Wii U, and maybe an iPod Touch.  Another is mostly content with Android devices, and occasionally using one of our other computers running Linux.  No interest in the Pandora or Pyra, even though there have been occasional complaints about not having a keyboard when using a tablet. 

like Fallout 1 and 2!!
May be more playable with Exagear Desktop.. I need to still test those games.
Please do, and let us know how things are looking.  I never played these, and I think I might like them.  The only one I have is 3, and I never completed it.  I haven't messed with it in years.

Stellanatus, are you considering the Pandora also, or just the Pyra?  Thanks to the wonderful people in the community the Pandora has a lot of great software.  There is no reason to think the same won't be true of the Pyra.  You may not be able to get all of the specific games you want, but you have seen what has been offered for the Pandora, so there is no reason to think the Pyra won't get the same kind of love.  Things may be even better since there probably won't be so many hurt feeling and bad memories this time around, and we will have a bit more in the hardware department to utilize.

I am pretty sure Android and Google Play will be usable with a Pyra with little effort.  I think I remember ED or someone linking to Android for this SoC (processor and stuff), or a devboard with the SoC.  I don't know if anything special needs to be done (for performance, or to get Android running).  I think at least one person has expressed an interest in Android VMs so that they can use their Android and Pyra stuff at the same time.  I would probably mess with an Android VM on it from time to time, although I would more likely use something else. 

As for general purpose use, that is how some of us primarily use our Pandoras.  The Pyra will be capable of much more.  As TrashyMG said, these aren't for everybody.  To get the most out of them it helps to have some technical knowledge.  When the Pyra is released it probably won't be ready for the average consumer right away.  Linux as the OS, the physical keyboard, etc., were selected for specific reasons.  If those are things you wish you had when using your tablet, and you like messing around for fun, or are willing to work to get things functioning, these might be for you.  

In my family we all play computer/video games, and work with computers, in some form, a lot.  I am not sure how that compares to others around the world.  Here I am alone in my interest in the Pandora and Pyra.  Minecraft was not enough to win one over, who plays it frequently on a Windows laptop.  They also use an Android fone they are tied to at all times, a 3DS, our Wii U, and maybe an iPod Touch.  Another is mostly content with Android devices, and occasionally using one of our other computers running Linux.  No interest in the Pandora or Pyra, even though there have been occasional complaints about not having a keyboard when using a tablet. 

like Fallout 1 and 2!!
May be more playable with Exagear Desktop.. I need to still test those games.
Please do, and let us know how things are looking.  I never played these, and I think I might like them.  The only one I have is 3, and I never completed it.  I haven't messed with it in years.
It is the Pyra I have been watching closely. Came across the Open Pandora on the web early fall while comparing retro game playing handhelds after watching Game Center CX (A japanese show where a guy trys to beat old retro games 100% in one sitting). I went to the this site to learn more and found out about the Pyra. Seeing that the Pyra is everything the Pandora is plus much more I decided to wait for the Pyra to come out before purchasing anything.

Even if the Pyra isn't everything I expect it to be it is still a must have. I don't know if I will be able to skype while at work or get on IMVU with Wine (a virtual 3d chat client). I would like to use it with my bluetooth spy ear piece so I can listen to music without the boss seeing! An internet/computer addict like myself would love to have a pocket computer for when away from home.

If all else fails my original goal of finding a retro gaming device to become a retro master like the great Kacho is atleast saticfied! :3

The answers here are right but somewhat confusing for someone not into all this.

As a n00b (compared to about everyone here), maybe I can put this in proper order:

Hardware layer:

- Processor type: x86/ARM

OS layer (some available for different architectures):

Linux Debian (ARM/x86), Linux Android (ARM), Linux Mint (x86), Linux Ubuntu (x86/ARM), Linux Angström (x86/ARM) etc...

Windows 3.1/95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7/whatever (x86), Windows 8 (x86/ARM)

Then there is the usual (native) software layer and while most stuff is written for x86 Processor/OS-type, quite a lot is available for ARM by now, thanks to the Android hype, the open source movement, game engine recreations and to some very productive members here (ptitSeb for example).

Then we got compatibility layers like Wine and Ginge that make software for other OSes executable.

At last we have emulation layers like DosBox, all those game console emulators like pandora's specially optimized pcsx rearmed (wich is the best PSX emu there is on any system) and QEMU which can emulate x86 architecture on an ARM system.

The emulation layer comes with a loss of a bloody lot of performance which is not noticeable in very old games, but renders new ones unplayable.

I hope that I did get most of it right, please correct me.

For looking into what is available on Pandora regarding programs, games and ports, I recommend the repository which in combination with an app named "PND-manager" can install anything automatically (like the Google store or Fdroid for Android) but with 99.9% of the apps completely free and all of them without spying:

http://www.repo.openpandora.org/

The answers here are right but somewhat confusing for someone not into all this.
I noticed that too.  When I started trying to give answers I didn't have time to be detailed, and try to figure out the level of comprehension.  I attempted to provide answers that would buy some time until I could type something a little longer while still trying to alleviate some confusion.  Thank you for listing and explaining some of the stuff we were trying to say.

I am not really a software person, but it all looks correct to me.  I do think it is important to point out that while there may be a version of Windows 8 for ARM that does not mean something that works on "Windows 8" will be usable on the ARM version.  I believe there is a discussion around here about Windows 8 on the Pyra.  If I remember I will link to it later.

If all else fails my original goal of finding a retro gaming device to become a retro master like the great Kacho is atleast saticfied! :3

if you are a fan of retro games i highly recomend you hunt down the originals. that is what i'm doing. they still sell those old game consoles and they still work! all you need is some knowledge on how to take apart those old consoles and cartridges to clean them. i got the original NES, SEGA Genesis, SNES, N64 consoles and they still work!! nothing can compare to playing Super Mario Bros 3 on the original NES console on an old CRT. just like how it was meant to be played. i use emulators but they come second, like a sidearm.

Back