Pay For Games On Pandora?

Are you willing to pay for games on the pandora?

• Total voters

WizardStan said:
paddy said:
what am i actuly saying that is making you soo angry please tell me ?
You are saying that there is something fundamental about the work that goes into making an emulator that somehow makes it worth less than any other piece of software. Not only would you not pay for an emulator, you've said you'd go so far as to pirate one where you would not do for any other piece of software. That, to me, sounds like a huge insult to the developers that spend a great deal of time and effort writing these emulators. You still haven't explained what it is that makes emulators so different from any other piece of software.

How do you pirate something that is free to begin with?

Last edited by a moderator:
pder said:
How do you pirate something that is free to begin with?
It's not free. We're talking about if a developer wrote an emulator and charged money for it. Paddy says that he would not pay for such an emulator and in fact would pirate it, but would pay for any other type of software or at the very least not use it at all.

WizardStan look m8 what the hell you on about ? i HAVE explained my self fully and it IS only opinion so i really do not see what your problem is ,quite frankly i am unwilling to pay for emulation and that's about it right there like it or lump it but it IS my choice.

Quote -
You are saying that there is something fundamental about the work that goes into making an emulator that somehow makes it worth less than any other piece of software.

I never did say anything like this not least say it was worthless in any way but i simply do not beleve in paying for an emulator,i am not going to continue with this rabble WizardStan as i have much better things to do ,you my friend can continue to stip away at words all you like.

It's not free. We're talking about if a developer wrote an emulator and charged money for it. Paddy says that he would not pay for such an emulator and in fact would pirate it, but would pay for any other type of software or at the very least not use it at all.

I did not say i would pirate it lol omg ,and if i were to use such software then what the hell does it have to do with you anyway? i am sure there would be others like all software out there ,now go have a bash at them becase i have already stated this is all in theory and currently i have no idea what will be payfor and what wont if any.

paddy said:
what am i actuly saying that is making you soo angry please tell me ?

Hmm pretty much everything (in this thread) so far..

paddy said:
WizardStan look m8 what the hell you on about ? i HAVE explained my self fully and it IS only opinion so i really do not see what your problem is ,quite frankly i am unwilling to pay for emulation and that's about it right there like it or lump it but it IS my choice.
It is your opinion that emulators are not worth paying for, I see this. I'm trying to get to the root of that opinion. Opinions are not random, you form an opinion based on some experience. Something like this should be pretty easy to figure out: what, in your mind, makes emulators different from any other app that you would pirate them before paying money where you would definitely pay for any other application. And yes, you did say that, explicitly, so don't tell me you didn't.
paddy said:
I will never pay for an emulator so if a cracked version is out somewhere then i would download and use it ,i most definitely would not do the same for other types of software like games and apps

You know what ,i will leave this forum ,you are all well most of you total jerks full of hatred and anger and for what ? someones opinon i have not said anything out of order have i ? yet i get nothing but hate and mincing of words from more than two people.

I wish you all the best and i will stay tuned to the pandora as i love it and can't wait to get mine ,i may well write some apps or games in the future and i will i am sure enjoy the many emulators and software projects from others on this here forum but apart from that i am staying out of all this horrible hatred ,please think for a second ,would you speak to me the same if you knew me personaly ? would i be treated the same ? it's like a childrens playground instead of a happy community.

:)

If I have to pay 4 games, I think I will hack pandora's firmware and having fun with pirate versions

like with PSP or DS I used to have

paddy said:
When it comes to emulation i would rather donate than be obligated to pay for the software ,if the said software has taken the author alot of time effort,sweat and tears then i would be delighted in offering something in terms of a donation but i do not in anyway agree with anybody financially benefiting from the creation of a mass market games console computer emulator.

Ohh boy people get soo bitchy about anything i say ,what are you defending ? what am i actuly saying that is making you soo angry please tell me ?

It's the fact that your posts come across as from an amoral arsehole who has a pathological dislike of emulators. I'm sure that this isn't your intention, but it sure seems like it.

I would agree with you if an emulator author charged for an emulator with copyrighted code (in ROM or media image format) - that's not only unlawful but also immoral. The ROMs and such that an emulator may run are the hard work of the guys who wrote the software that the emulator is running.

However, writing an emulator is a very, very hard task, and is (in the case of later hardware like the N64, Dreamcast et al) significantly more work, and harder work than writing a game. Probably by an order of magnitude, if such a thing can be measured. Where the only opportunity is to port from x86 assembly to ARM, it gets so hard that very few developers would be willing to take it on. Witness the enormous amounts of devs that are working to bring N64 to ARM platforms. God, there must be hundreds, yes? Thought not. There's a few. And how many before Ari64 revealed his efforts? Hmm? If you think there's going to be an explosion of people porting complex emulators to the Pandora, then you might be as deluded as I suspect you are.

What you're saying is that even though the emulator is a port, and involved a lot more effort than writing a game ever would, you would still not be inclined to offer any reward for the porting author, and would in fact be more than happy to take his work, use it and stick up two fingers to him by pirating the emulator, as evidenced by this post:

paddy said:
I will never pay for an emulator so if a cracked version is out somewhere then i would download and use it ,i most definitely would not do the same for other types of software like games and apps

This, again, makes you look like the biggest dick on the forum, excusing my good self.

D.

Edit: Damn you WizardStan and your veritable fleet of ninjas.
Edit Addendum:

paddy said:
would you speak to me the same if you knew me personaly ? would i be treated the same ?

Damn right I would. Take care now.

paddy said:
You know what ,i will leave this forum ,you are all well most of you total jerks full of hatred and anger and for what ? someones opinon i have not said anything out of order have i ? yet i get nothing but hate and mincing of words from more than two people.
No one has done anything but try to understand what you're talking about. We take what you said, tell you how we are interpreting it, and ask for clarification. That is not being a jerk. No one has flat out said you are wrong, just that the way you are wording your opinion doesn't make the sort of sense you seem to think it does, leading us to think you are. If you can't bother to clarify when someone tries to understand what you're talking about, then why should we even CARE what you're talking about?

one question paddy,

is your native language English?

most of the times, i found it the base of big missunderstandings on several forums. (even if you're fluent in a language, people still claim to not understand).

Are we arguing about a hypothetical emulator that costs money but hasn't been written yet? This whole thread seems rather silly considering there will be free oss emulators available for just about every platform that the pandora hardware can realistically handle.

pder said:
Are we arguing about a hypothetical emulator that costs money but hasn't been written yet?
Yes and no. The thread started off with a hypothetical "would you pay money for any sort of application on the Pandora?", which is ultimately going to happen sooner or later; eventually someone will charge something for a game or application they have developed. Paddy's response that he would never pay for an emulator and would in fact download a cracked version lead to the offshoot discussion about what is so different about an emulator that he would pirate it where he would actually pay for some other game or app.

in that sense, well

looking for the market the pandora landed, OPT should use the dev fund in order to release the most of the Emulators Free.
so end of discussion.

if someone charged for an emulator, if it is good enough, i believe the comunity would try to do the arrangements to make it free or at least
not expensive.

(OPT should even raise the price in order to pay for emulators to keep the device going up).

Voted Yes. I'm more likely to be using free software, I hope the feature on Craig's Pandora Webshop website place is not going to encourage devs to start charging because it's easy. I like the whole community spirit, but I have and will put my hand in my wallet if there is something of sufficient interest to warrant it.

DroneB Dev said:
in that sense, well

looking for the market the pandora landed, OPT should use the dev fund in order to release the most of the Emulators Free.
so end of discussion.

if someone charged for an emulator, if it is good enough, i believe the comunity would try to do the arrangements to make it free or at least
not expensive.

(OPT should even raise the price in order to pay for emulators to keep the device going up).
My response is still the same

Na-Noo said:
---snip----
Anyway, the only way the charged or donate will have any affect for the person putting the software out there, is if it has something over and above something equivalent, or it's unique, or just that useful that made it worth paying for.

With so much free software, this will be hard to achieve, therefore the cost will be low and the quality high in comparison.
----snip----

At my local car boot sale there used to be dozens of guys selling pirated games, and this really pissed me off. Why? Because they were making obscene amounts of money from something they didn't even make themselves. To me, it smacked of greed and opportunism. These sellers were getting away with it for years, and I waited for the day that ELSPA or the police came down on them with some serious weight. Suprisingly, this did actually happen! It had the negative effect in that the people who ran the site became paranoid, and banned the selling of any games. Now, when I go there, one of the regular blokes who sells genuine retro stuff has to check his back... like he's selling me drugs or guns. Maybe that makes it more exciting?!

Now obviously an emulator is a legitimate thing - it can be used for development, debugging, playing homebrew or even roms or CD images from games the user actually owns. But... I don't know anybody who does this.

I don't know a single person who owns an the original copy of all their roms. There seems to be some myth that these people are evil?! Well, I ask you, do you know any people in real life who regularly play on emulators? In my experience, they are the nice people of this world. I even see a correlation: the heavier the rom pirate, the nicer the person. The nicest, and sweetest people I know have terrabytes of pirated stuff. You can call them evil, or immoral, or thieving scum from the safety of the internet, but you haven't even met them in person.

The same goes for pirating DS and PSP games, films, music.

So if you take one of these nice people, and assume they're a rom pirate, what does that mean for a paid emulator? Well, perhaps one point of view is that the emulator author is no different to the pirate game seller? They're charging an access fee for pirating activity. How dare they?!

But in reality this isn't true, because the emulator can be used for debugging, development and playing homebrew and games you own. There was even a disclaimer about pirating from the author perhaps? Who on earth would make the author out to be a bad guy? But.... some people do, I think. They get indignant, like the emulator author who charges money is some kind of scum, greedy, disrespectful and opportunist.

I don't think that by the way.

Am I a rom pirate? Well, I used to own many of the games I play. Is that illegal? Technically yes, but I still gave the developers money for that game back when it came out. It's only natural that I'd want to replay my fondly remembered games. But sometimes, emulation is about discovering someting new: if i'm playing a PC engine or Neo Geo emulator then i'm pirating - I never owned those systems.

SomeGuy99 said:
That's a nice speech and all, and I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but what tangent were you following that lead to it? We weren't discussing the legality of emulators or roms. I feel like I missed a step :(

WizardStan said:
SomeGuy99 said:
That's a nice speech and all, and I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but what tangent were you following that lead to it? We weren't discussing the legality of emulators or roms. I feel like I missed a step :(

Why paddy said he'd pirate any emulators. How he might have formed his opinion.

WizardStan said:
Perhaps that's what paddy was alluding to, the idea that paying for emulators is in some way like paying for bootleg DVDs?
(DISCLAIMER: I in no way claim to represent the opinions or interests of the user "paddy")

For someone that thought that pirating old games was wrong, I could certainly see them considering paying for an emulator to be supporting piracy.
But then paddy apparently used emulators, so maybe not.

Aninhumer said:
WizardStan said:
Perhaps that's what paddy was alluding to, the idea that paying for emulators is in some way like paying for bootleg DVDs?
(DISCLAIMER: I in no way claim to represent the opinions or interests of the user "paddy")

For someone that thought that pirating old games was wrong, I could certainly see them considering paying for an emulator to be supporting piracy.
But then paddy apparently used emulators, so maybe not.

I was arguing that people who do pirate roms may see a paid emulator as wrong.

For example, the same guys who were pirating DVDs were also selling discs full of emulators and roms. That's pretty greedy, but not the same as the author of an emulator selling their work in my opinion.

Back