Pay For Games On Pandora?

Are you willing to pay for games on the pandora?

• Total voters

Ooooh, I get it now. Yeah, I can see why someone might think that now. Too bad Paddy couldn't just explain what he meant like that (assuming that is what he meant).

The other thing to bear in mind, is that for someone who pirates roms, pirating an emulator isn't that far removed - it just becomes one step in the chain.

I would like to see commercial development too but the fact of the matter is that we will never see any commercial games because of the one it won't be vary popular beyond a niche market and the fact that it is open you must keep in mind that big video game companies are drm loving monsters which makes me sad that a open video game platform can never be commercially viable. :(

linuxftw said:
I would like to see commercial development too but the fact of the matter is that we will never see any commercial games because of the one it won't be vary popular beyond a niche market and the fact that it is open you must keep in mind that big video game companies are drm loving monsters which makes me sad that a open video game platform can never be commercially viable. :(
You have a different definition of "commercial" from myself. A commercial game is anything that is available for purchase, and of that we will most certainly get something.
Commercial in the sense of big name companies like EA or Ubisoft, yeah, never get those guys. Friction Games or 2D Boy may make Pandora versions of their games for retail though.

Last edited by a moderator:
linuxftw said:

Yeah. The prospect of this makes me sad.

I play stuff on the iphone by big name companies and I just think:

This would be better with real buttons (not some onscreen Dpad etc).

This would be better with real analogue nubs.

This would be better with a real keyboard.

This would be better with a high resolution screen.

In short... This Would Be Better on the Pandora.

:(

SomeGuy99 said:
I was arguing that people who do pirate roms may see a paid emulator as wrong.

Even that logic is flawed though. Following that logic if he pirates DVD's then he couldn't condone buying a DVD player to watch them, so he'd have to go out and steal one.

Pleng said:
Even that logic is flawed though. Following that logic if he pirates DVD's then he couldn't condone buying a DVD player to watch them, so he'd have to go out and steal one.
It's only flawed to an extremist. Most people have different rules for different contexts. Maybe an emulator being software makes it more ok in their mind than stealing a DVD player.

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
It's only flawed to an extremist. Most people have different rules for different contexts. Maybe an emulator being software makes it more ok in their mind than stealing a DVD player.
I guess I can see what people think paddy may have been trying to saying.

But for me it's about the community, it would feel like I'm stealing from a family member.
Maybe after all this time/delays and what we've all been through, I just have a stronger feeling towards Pandora and the people involved.

If the app/emu/game was what I consider to be expensive, I just wouldn't buy it. There's going to be so much free/donation ware available it doesn't bother me.
And if someone chooses to charge, I just can't see them being able to charge that much. Although what everyone else considers cheap I may not :lol:

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:

I really don't think the vast majority of people value data the same way as a physical object.

Also, you're not really stealing something in the conventional sense. If you burgle a house and take that persons DVD player, the principle issue is that you've deprived them of a physical object. I've been burgled myself, and the two sources of pain were 'I no longer have my stuff' and 'I've been violated'.

Had some fancy man from the future come and scanned my house while I was out, returned to the future and mass produced all my stuff with a replicator - that would be the same.

We're talking about intellectual property theft really, aren't we? Unauthorized copying. Ideas are even more fuzzy and abstract than bits and bytes. You can't steal an idea, in the sense that the original person still has the idea - maybe you can call it lossy, analogue copying onto a soft mushy brain-matter medium.

NeoTheFox said:
If I have to pay 4 games, I think I will hack pandora's firmware and having fun with pirate versions

like with PSP or DS I used to have

The consumerist socity stink. But good luck finding pirated version of a game for the pandora.
I'm not sure this community will ever help you for that. ( in fact, I'm pretty sure, we'll hunt these pirated version down, at least *I* will)

There is no better way to harm this community than pirating the *few* non-free titles we'll have...

I, for one, praise to ban pirates from this forum. (talking about full romset wasn't enough...)

sebt3 said:
I, for one, praise to ban pirates from this forum. (talking about full romset wasn't enough...)

You want to ban people who are in most likelyhood very nice and friendly people?

Unless I was reading complete lies, Craigix originally had a business selling discs of pirated Amiga games. Maybe that's why he's having trouble accessing the forum now? ;)

But seriously, back when the Amiga was popular I never met a single person who didn't have copied stuff. It was almost part of the culture - even my friends mums and dads had copied office software.

But the Pandora is different; it's our precious baby. We want to see it grow, feed it the right things so the little clamshell can be big and strong. Most of us (I bet), including me, will proudly support commercial software.

Pleng said:
SomeGuy99 said:
I was arguing that people who do pirate roms may see a paid emulator as wrong.

???

How does that compute?

That would be like saying you couldn't condone buying a DS to play pirated DS games.

SomeGuy99 said:
sebt3 said:

You want to ban people who are in most likelyhood very nice and friendly people?

Unless I was reading complete lies, Craigix originally had a business selling discs of pirated Amiga games. Maybe that's why he's having trouble accessing the forum now? ;)

But seriously, back when the Amiga was popular I never met a single person who didn't have copied stuff. It was almost part of the culture - even my friends mums and dads had copied office software.

But the Pandora is different; it's our precious baby. We want to see it grow, feed it the right things so the little clamshell can be big and strong. Most of us (I bet), including me, will proudly support commercial software.

You only get part of my reasoning.
I see the lastest Madona album (or anything mainstream) on pirateBay as free advertisement. (this apply to the amiga culture by its time. pirated versions of windows are free advertisement, even MS see this that way)
My local install of StarCraft is a pirated version (nocd Crack for wine).... But I own the original game because I wanted blizzard to be able to do a sequel to this great game.
Playing a rom of a game that not available as retail anymore is fair enough in my book.
But willing to pirate a game (or emulator) that the author known from start that he will have at most 8k customers is utter shit. Saying that out loud is even worst.
With this size in mind, pirating is no longer free ads but money lost to retribute hard work. Want to advert their work ? push a demo or a youtube vids.

Heck, if you want to play a game enough to look for pirated version, you should just pay. It's not as they will be charged 100$ as mainstream games..

Do you tip the waitress in restaurant ?
If the service was good enough, I do. So if the game is good enough it'll have my pennys, else I'll just not play it....

So : I'll report to IP owner every pandora related cracks I found.

Back