Password Protection Upon Boot

Cervante said:
I personally hate it when people turn on my stuff & use it at will, can there be a password protection upon boot?
Keylock on each of SD slots is could be cool too

Last edited by a moderator:
Cervante said:
I personally hate it when people turn on my stuff & use it at will
Re-education is the answer. ;)

bat.gif

Squidge said:
If they don't eject the SD card, you could create an autorun.gpe that asks for a button combination to load the menu (It might even work on the nand, I don't know. Anyone?)
I wonder if this also applies for turning the thing on when the lid is closed? It would be really sweet for it to be able to boot up in an MP3 player mode, so you don't have to mess with loading up the player programs or playlists... Just turn it on and jam out :)

Woops, I thought the section was gp2x, not Pandora :blush:

Gilrad: If you want that, just put the device into standby mode.

this is linux, remember?
it may not be enabled by default (i sure hope not, it would annoy the heck out of me), and even if there isnt an option, there will be some way of hacking this feature in.
in fact, its freakin hard to get linux to operate WITHOUT passwords...

Lurkio said:
Cervante said:
I personally hate it when people turn on my stuff & use it at will
Re-education is the answer. ;)

bat.gif

haha, I've seen that before- it's a pepper grinder :D

Are you saying to re-educate them by grinding pepper in their eyes?

Snu said:
this is linux, remember?
it may not be enabled by default (i sure hope not, it would annoy the heck out of me), and even if there isnt an option, there will be some way of hacking this feature in.
Fine for your network but that's no security at all if they're holding your console in their hands.

CongoZombie said:
Are you saying to re-educate them by grinding pepper in their eyes?
Yes, then crack their head open that should teach them not to touch peoples stuff anymore. :lol:

Option of password lock in firmware would be very nice and handy. I plan to use this as a PDA as well, i'm sure there are many otheres who would too, and I wouldn't wan't people getting at info should they manage to get hold of it.

liquidphantom said:
Option of password lock in firmware would be very nice and handy. I plan to use this as a PDA as well, i'm sure there are many otheres who would too, and I wouldn't wan't people getting at info should they manage to get hold of it.
If you don't want people to get hold of data you consider sensitive, then a firmware lock isn't going to help much as the data will most likely be on your sd card anyway. What you want is an encrypting file system.

Snu said:
Damn, I'd better go and check why it only took me 5 seconds to do in Open2x...

Squidge said:
liquidphantom said:
If you don't want people to get hold of data you consider sensitive, then a firmware lock isn't going to help much as the data will most likely be on your sd card anyway. What you want is an encrypting file system.

Good point.... then can we have an encrypted FS please :D

Sure, but you'll have to install it yourself. It would be a bit pointless installing an encrypted file system onto every Pandora and using the same password for every one, or doing a Sky and setting the password to a hash of the mac key.

javaJake said:
This is where Gentoo becomes handy: you decide everything about your system. :)
You meant Linux From Scratch, didn't you? Real men only do LFS :D

Back