Protecting The Pandora Against Theft At Boot Time

raytaller

Still Fresh
It was a very useful feature on PSION devices. You could set a password and a customizable message such as : "Hi there, this device is locked and unusable. Please contact me at ####. Reward : XX $".
But this would have to be a BIOS protection, working without any SD card.
Any plans ? Any thoughts ?

If it is not possible, I think I'm going to inscribe it on the case ;)

This is possible. If there's any fancy splash screen, you could replace the splash with your own with the message plastered on it. Otherwise you could override the splash screen so that all you see is a blinking cursor, and write the message there.

Edit: If it's anything like Linux ;) it'll be using the init runlevel system in Linux. If you're excited about this idea, try hacking your idea out on Linux so you're ready when the Pandora comes.

javaJake said:
If it's anything like Linux ;) it'll be using the init runlevel system in Linux. If you're excited about this idea, try hacking your idea out on Linux so you're ready when the Pandora comes.

And to get around that, the person simply removes/reformats your SD card.

This is why the original poster asked specifically about a mechanism in the BIOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's too much hassle. People forget passwords and will be asking how to reset them and if that's too easy theres no point in it being there. If its difficult enough to require manufacturer support then you need to prove ownership, but if ownership is transferred to another person... Much easier to not have any password protection and less someone devise such a solution to install at a later date.

3vi1 said:
And to get around that, you simply insert this splash or console text into the NAND, where booting happens. That's what I intended. The SD card is primarily for data, anyway, unless the user decides to put his/her own OS on there.

Squidge said:
Much easier to not have any password protection and less someone devise such a solution to install at a later date.
I don't think the OP meant for the manufacturer to support this either. I think the intention is for the customer/user to install this script when it is received.

I don't think that the "theft protection" need be foolproof. Even if something as simple as removing the card would defeat it, the point is to convince a person picking it up that it won't work for them at the outset. Once they show determination by taking it and looking into how to break the protection, it's already gone. Even if they were unable to break it without manufacturer support, you don't have it anymore. I see no reason to make yourself "feel better" by knowing that they can't possibly use it. I've had a laptop stolen at one point in my life, and I never felt worse merely because I thought of them getting use out of it. I was just irritated that I didn't have it.

javaJake said:
3vi1 said:
And to get around that, you simply insert this splash or console text into the NAND, where booting happens. That's what I intended. The SD card is primarily for data, anyway, unless the user decides to put his/her own OS on there.

And to get around that, the user formats the NAND and re-flashes the firmware :p

Like Squidge said, even if they were to install some sort of advanced security system (like FailSafe from Phoenix but only password protected), it would be bad if YOU forgot it. Anyways, when it's gone, it's gone.. if you have sensitive data stored, encrypt it..

You could aways put your name and address on the splash screen, So if an honest citizen
should find it, They at least have a chance to return it.

Something like:

Mr Ivor packet

Florida Mansions
1467 Golden Crest Drive
Beverly Hills
Florida

PS: It`s the one with three BMW`s in the driveway.

Trooper

The idea of a customized init screen for returning the Pandora is a good idea in my opinion. Maybe a "soft" lock so that one can't easily get to whatever data you may have on the device, but by its very design I hope it's not "hard" lockable. (I remember reading somewhere that it was supposed to be very difficult to brick - either having a ROM area for the original flash, or a second flash area to do restores from. VERY NICE for trying out different images of things.) If you can get to that backup flash, then there's no way to hard lock it, but I'm okay with that.

Ok, the topic is a bit old, but I'll try to sum it up.

1) The point is not to feel better because the thief or (the lucky person, finding something strange in the train) can't use your device. The point is to claim that the device is unuseable and that you are ready to give a reward for it.

2) The boot locking mechanism was actually working on PSION devices, like I said. Indeed, setting a password is risky, but you set it at your own risk.

3) Personally, I'd be okay with a relatively easy to remove password, because most of people won't even try to do something with your device then. Too bad if your pandora is found by a super-geek, but at least, you are safe with 90% of the population

4) IMHO, it CAN'T be on the SD card, because it is the first thing a thief will remove.

Some more questions to revive the thread :
- I'd say that even a customized splash screen is better than nothing, but it should be the bios splash, not the OS one. Is it hard ?
- If I am a paranoid nerd, how hard do you think I'd be to add a password prompt at boot time (ie : compiling the NAND stuff, flashing the device and keeping the code compatible with the main branch) ? Say, with good C/C++ skills and average linux knowledge

Thanks guys :)

Basically anything that outputs "If found, please contact xx@yy.com or phone zzz" is enough for me.

raytaller said:
- I'd say that even a customized splash screen is better than nothing, but it should be the bios splash, not the OS one. Is it hard ?

I was under the impression a BIOS was an x86 thing.

The boot menu that lets you select from NAND or SD could probably be modified in that way.

(unless someone else presents a reason why it couldn't)

Kramy said:
raytaller said:

I was under the impression a BIOS was an x86 thing.

The boot menu that lets you select from NAND or SD could probably be modified in that way.

(unless someone else presents a reason why it couldn't)
I think that menu is only activated when holding down certain button(s) on startup?

NLS said:
I think that menu is only activated when holding down certain button(s) on startup?

Boot loader always has to run. Even Windows always runs the boot menu - it just displays nothing if you only have one OS.

Apparently I'm the only one who thought of some poor sap, with a baseball bat, fending off a mass of thieves, screaming "Noooooo! You'll never get my Pandora while it is booting!!!"

Anyway a simple BIOS password deal with a custom message would be all that's needed for the purpose. Or the above scenario...

Well, I wish I could get some type of jet wire and tie it around my wrist and then put the pandora in my coatpocket, through my sleeve. I intend to use it everywhere simply as a music player. Somehow, if I could attach the wire securely on or around the pandora... Cause I walk the train tracks in my neighborhood at all times of night and sometimes there be groups of shady people and 1 of me. I ain't givin this up.. lol I go on missions

LUMINOUS said:
Well, I wish I could get some type of jet wire and tie it around my wrist and then put the pandora in my coatpocket, through my sleeve. I intend to use it everywhere simply as a music player. Somehow, if I could attach the wire securely on or around the pandora... Cause I walk the train tracks in my neighborhood at all times of night and sometimes there be groups of shady people and 1 of me. I ain't givin this up.. lol I go on missions

Just carry a shank.

Mod in some thermite and have a script that ignites it if you enter the wrong password five times. They ain't getting your data.

Back