Release Panplayer Beta 1

JDGBOLT

Picklelauncher has been updated, so there is a new pnd out that makes it smoother, also fixed some bugs here and there. And in order to play back 720P content, you NEED RC2 of hotfix 5, or later.

I am proud to present the PND version of PanPlayer, an optimized mplayer build for the pandora that is wrapped up in PickleLauncher with an awesome skin by EvilDragon. :)

From the Readme:

Code:
This is an optimized build of mplayer for the pandora, wrapped within the picklelauncher frontend.

If you have Hotfix 5, RC2 or later, you can play back up to 720P files without quality loss using the omapfb video driver. 

Only problem is some files will freeze the player when attempting this, so if it does freeze:

If you are in xfce, hold down the pandora button to bring up a dialog box that you can use to kill the player. 

If in minimenu, most likely pressing pandora button will fix it. 

The next time you attempt to launch the file, mplayer will attempt to launch the file using the lowres option, which doesn't work for h264,

but should work for at least divx encoded files. 

If this does occur, you have to play back another file using omapfb in order for display using xv to work, couldn't find a way to prevent this.

So keep this in mind.

The files created in the appdata directory are the following:

mpconfig.conf - The configuration that mplayer uses, you can say 

change the default audio and subtitle track that it looks for, 

or any number of other settings.

mpinput.conf - The input configuration file, which contains all the pandora specific keybindings,

you can find a list of the default bindings within the mpdefaults.conf file,

don't bother editing this, as it's just for reference.

mpdefaults.conf - The default mplayer keybindings can be found in this file,

it's only for reference, it's not referenced in any way by mplayer.

profile.txt - This is where picklelauncher stores it's commands and the like, 

you can add more file extensions to it so that you can then use picklelauncher to launch those files with mplayer.

config.txt - This is where picklelauncher stores it's configuration, 

it's not recommended to edit this file unless you know what you are doing,

as it can break the skin, or even worse.

omapfb-blacklist - This file lists files that failed for whatever reason when trying to attempt playback using omapfb. 

If the video freezes, press and hold down the pandora button to try to kill mplayer, but a hard reboot may be sometimes necessary in some cases. 

After you kill the player, be aware playing a video that uses omapfb is necessary in order to fix the output. 

Omapfb is invoked any time you try to play back a file that is larger than the screen size.

The default keybindings for picklelauncher are:

B - Select a file or directory

X - Go up a directory

Esc - Quit the application

It is also possible to type on the keyboard to filter the file list for files containing that string. So just type some characters to filter the list. Backspace to delete.

Default keybindings within the player are as follows:

B - Play/Pause

X - Quit

Y - Change audio track

A - Change subtitle track

Dpad:

Left/Right - Seek -/+ 10 seconds

Up/Down - Seek -/+ 60 seconds.

For most files, the default settings should just work, a safe default for a large number of files is 600mhz, but for playing back h264 files and the like, I would recomend putting it to 750, or even 800. Unfortunately 720P h264 files is just too much for it, so keep that in mind.

Download Links

PND Version

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,329

http://apps.openpandora.org/cgi-bin/viewapp.pl?/Application/PanPlayer.inf

Binary Version

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sdkeu5nzb7gh7el/panplayer-b4.zip

The binary version you invoke by cd'ing to the directory with mplayer, /media/card/panplayer, for example, and doing a ./mplayer.sh filename. The script should handle the rest. Also this version isn't stripped, so if there is a problem, use this version and perhaps do a gdb dump by taking the options passed to mplayer,the first thing the script prints, and then passing that to mplayer, as well as the file, and running that with a gdb --args ./mplayer options filename , then typing r in the prompt. It should tell you at least what function failed, which I can try to look up.

Thanks,

JDGBOLT

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt try the pickle launcher part since, well ... i dont really care about it.

but i did try and adopt you mplayer and mplayer script. i had a somewhat similar script that i used to call mplayer with all the paramsfrom command line, but yours give much better results.

i have some mp4 xvid encoded at 860ishx480 they were working ok with my old script (visible frameskip). but with panplayer they are reading as smoothly as they should so thank you for your work =D

Great news :)

I can't test as don't have my unit...but i like when someone work on things like this.

Is using the DSP ?

Anyway many thanks for this, and, can't wait to try it.

I think this build of mplayer definately improves things a fair bit -- a number of videos I've got didn't play quite right in stock build (I think missing sub-codecs, like certain pixel fill patterns an such) so were blurry or jerky, but play splendid with this build. It does seem to run better overall as well, though hard to say as I'm not using Serious Testing per se.

Still, looks pretty swank :)

jeff

Very nice! the performance is much better.

Does anyone know an easy way to set the "open with" properties of AVI files to auto launch using this script?

(I already tried just setting to mplayer.sh but no go..)

Thanks!

Uploaded a new beta, url reflects the change. Change is mainly an updated mplayer binary as well 720p output capability for users of RC2 of hotfix 5 that was just released. Let me know what you think. :)

Okay, just had to do a quick update, I love the skin that Ed cooked up for this, looks quite sharp, after we sort out a few rough edges, it should be ready for release, at the very least a beta release. Look forward to bringing it to you all. :)

Okay, I found the source of the issue for flv, currently working on fixing it, should be fixed shortly. :)

Really exciting, I find the current solutions for playing videos on the Pandora a bit sluggish sometimes. I tried the non-pnd version, the results were much smoother and tearing-less. I can't wait for the PND version!

Okay, new beta is up that should hopefully fix the issue with flv files, and perhaps other mpeg related files. Might introduce some other problems in files that used to work, so let me know if any other files crash that didn't used to. :)

JDGBOLT

Yeah, it will support them, you just need to create an entry for them in profile.txt, though we are currently working to include a less buggy version of picklelauncher. :)

Thanks, I figured that out now I guess I need to figure out settings for it to play properly. When sound enabled it doesn't show video (will show current frame when paused). With sound disabled video shows too fast. Will try to increase CPU enven though It plays fine in VLC.

the lastest version work great for me. using the pnd one and i have yet to find a video (in acceptable resolution. i didnt try any 1080p divx) that crashed or was unwatchable. (could see a few hitch in some of my 720p vids but still at least 30 times better than i could get a week ago >_>).

Okay, we finally worked out some of the issues with the pnd, especially a typo on my part that made flv files unplayable. Also the profile.txt should be much easier to understand. It's just a list of the extensions it supports, quite simple really. Also hopefully fixed an issue where I guess using mplayer could screw up the sdl framebuffer stuff. Also picklelauncher is updated which should hopefully be more stable, and also the filtering is now case insensitive, so if you have a ton of files, just type a few characters to narrow it down. Also m4v's are now in the list, I tried to put in all the extensions I could think of, but I'm sure I missed some, so let me know if there are any others. :)

JDGBOLT

OK, I added w and e key from default config to panscan in and out. Should this work now or is it just allowing to play video thats larger than screen?

I any case when I use them (with audio switched - thats only way to play) the video goes like horizontal is out of whack until I put it back whole video on screen.

It should automatically be able to play back files greater than the screen size, up to about 1000 resolution width, or 1280 if you are using RC2 of hotfix 5.

Fantastic performance ^_^ I like the skin as well.

Thanks again for all your hard work on this!

Back