PANG alpha version 0.000001

bfg

Still Fresh
Version 0.6 is out !

WHAT'S NEW :

- New sprite engine with pixel perfect collision detection
- New boucing ball engine (with the help of STICKOFJOY from gp32x forum) THANKS !
- New platform collision detection (with the theory of ALF, a friend of mine) THANKS !
- Double weapon Bonus
- Freeze Bonus
- Dynamite Bonus
- Extra life Bonus
- Extra life at 600,1500,5000 points
- 2 new background
- Total of 12 levels

GPPang 0.6

wip3.jpg

stickofjoy posted on May 16 2003 said:
I LOVE THIS GAME :)

i currently have a save state on the ST version on level 19. my bus journey just isn;t long enough any more!

what alogrithm are you using for circle-rect collisions? i have found that this is the simplest and best:
http://www.acm.org/tog/GraphicsGems/gems/BoxSphere.c

by Jim Arvo

my old Pang tech demo (Blitz Basic)
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase...433&comments=no
Hum ...

My code is not as powerfull as yours ..

int isCollide(int XRectangle1,int YRectangle1,int HRectangle1,int LRectangle1,int XRectangle2,int YRectangle2,int HRectangle2,int LRectangle2)
{
if (XRectangle1+LRectangle1 < XRectangle2) return(0);
if (XRectangle1 > XRectangle2+LRectangle2 ) return(0);
if (YRectangle1+HRectangle1 < YRectangle2 ) return(0);
if (YRectangle1 > YRectangle2+HRectangle2 ) return(0);

return(1);
}

But for the moment ... it seems to work not so bad ...

Last edited by a moderator:
this will work fine for circle to inside of a larger box, but when you need to collide with the small platforms then I would use the Arvo code ;) i looked into this in depth as Pang! is one of my favourite games http://www.ewtoo.org/~matt/pang/

also, you know that the balls should bounce at different heights?

this will work fine for circle to inside of a larger box, but when you need to collide with the small platforms then I would use the Arvo code ;) i looked into this in depth as Pang! is one of my favourite games http://www.ewtoo.org/~matt/pang/

also, you know that the balls should bounce at different heights?
Yes, in the release demo, there is no platform but, it's implemented, and i've seen the problem :lol: But one problem at time ! ;) For the moment i want to have the alpha version good working, with the good animation, and the ball boucing at different level (it's juste some variable to adjust and try) and some level without platform, then i'll code platform and bonuses ... (and score, ennemy etc ... :blink: ).

But i've take good care of your source code ! Thank you !!

no problem! i just get excited about all things Pang. ;)

if you need it, i would be willing to help with coding, graphics, etc.

:D

no problem! i just get excited about all things Pang. ;)

if you need it, i would be willing to help with coding, graphics, etc.

:D
I appreciate your proposition ! Thanks you !

This demo was coded in 8 Hours from scratch without replaying the original game ! :) I'm must play it more to see all the interaction between ball, platform weapon etc etc ...

Is there collision between ball and ball, i can't remember ?

Pang is indeed great, but I don't understand why you would want to remake the game, when you could just port the mame source for it, or alternatively stick tight as one of the guys porting mame has this working?

The same question might be asked of Tetris, World of Picross, or pretty much every freeware game we've got available :p

There's a few reasons I know of - firstly, that you can use the full screen without and nasty stretching glitches. Secondly, it saves batteries, since most of the time emulators use 132MHz as opposed to the normal speed of 66. And, of course, you can add your own little twists to it, innovations, slight changes, etc.
Arguably, its more work, but I'm guessing Pang ain't **too** complicated a game to make from scratch. Its not like its a remake of something like Final Fantasy. And of course, if its your own code, you know exactly what everything does as opposed to being confronted with something that seems to do nothing but you can't be sure...

bullet posted on May 17 2003 said:
Pang is indeed great, but I don't understand why you would want to remake the game, when you could just port the mame source for it, or alternatively stick tight as one of the guys porting mame has this working?
Wow ...

My answer will be simple ...

I understand NOTHING in coding emulators !! : :D It's too hard for my little brain.

Then, this adaptation of this game is for me a challenge, a hobby. It's for my pleasure, and if someone like the adaptation, it would be great ! I'm a jsp,servlet,portlet developper for my job, and coding a videogame is so much more fun !! :) :) (Looking for girl at Saturday night is much much more fun than coding ... :) :)).

Alpha version 0.3 is out.

Need help ! Is someone can explain me of to use interactive "gamma" ... You know like in frodo, because i think the game is to dark ...

Tobriand posted on May 17 2003 said:
Arguably, its more work, but I'm guessing Pang ain't **too** complicated a game to make from scratch.
anybody would think so, but until you start to try you miss all the little things that make even a simple looking game as this very difficult to pull of a good port of.

bouncing balls is pretty easy. colliding circles with rectangles is not so trivial, and they are just two aspects of the game!

matt

hi there.

this is coming along well!

now, if you don't mind some constructive criticism i would suggest that you play the original a bit more to get the ball bounce/split behaviour correct. for me, a pang purist, it feels very wrong and there is some strangeness in the way things happen.

when a ball is split into two, the two smaller balls should start on their downwards journey regardless of whether the parent ball was travelling up. without this behaviour (ie. how you have it now) subsequent splitting of balls means each child ball starts on a higher and higher trajectory up the screen. this is bad!

anyway, if you want more feedback please say. oh, and play Mighty Pang - possibly the best game ever! :)

matt

stickofjoy posted on May 19 2003 said:
hi there.

this is coming along well!

now, if you don't mind some constructive criticism i would suggest that you play the original a bit more to get the ball bounce/split behaviour correct. for me, a pang purist, it feels very wrong and there is some strangeness in the way things happen.

when a ball is split into two, the two smaller balls should start on their downwards journey regardless of whether the parent ball was travelling up. without this behaviour (ie. how you have it now) subsequent splitting of balls means each child ball starts on a higher and higher trajectory up the screen. this is bad!

anyway, if you want more feedback please say. oh, and play Mighty Pang - possibly the best game ever! :)

matt
Ok, i take care of that !

So if i understand ... When a ball explode, it create two ball who goes down ... ok.

I feel that the ball goes to high to. The smallest one are to high, the game is too easy.

yes, that is correct.

please download my Blitz Basic tech demo (ball bouncing, splitting, platform collision). my code may not be the most beaiutiful but i spent weeks perfecting the behaviour!

http://www.ewtoo.org/~matt/pang/pangdemo.zip

Code:
KEYS

MOUSE       move platform
LEFT BTN    split ball
RIGHT BTN   new ball
SPACE       split ball
SHIFT       new ball
CONTROL     slow motion

click for full size image

you'll need the demo version of Blitz Basic, at least, to get it to run. :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com

matt

Back