Pandora's on its way. What are some must have programs?

omega-weapon

So, my Pandora is on it's way, what are some must have programs or games?

I already have downloaded:

Super Geometry Dust

Cave Story

PSX Emulator

GBA Emulator

PNDStore

Jumaji Web Browser

What are some others I am missing?

Forget Me Not, PND MAnager (more advanced than PND Store), Picodrive, UAE4ALL....

GParted

Mupen (N64) (if you are getting the Giga/1GHZ its great!)

Android/Gingerbread

MyPaint

smplayer2, for best video playback

audacious, for best audio playback

Pandora System Info, for lots of nicely presented info about your new unit.

scummvm, for playing Day Of The Tentacle.

qemu, for running Windows 95

Anyone know if there any audio recorders/editors available, for use with a USB mic or USB interface, ala the MicPort Pro?

There is a version of audacity. You might have to boot the old kernel to use it though. Shouldn't be a big problem except for the loss of many powersavingfeatures. I think most external dacs that normal linux can use can be used on the Pandora, too.

DosBox. Only today I played Duke Nukem 1 again and The Three Sisters Story :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a low-capacity (512M is enough) card with the firmware on it can also be useful. Just in case ^^.

Thanks for the replies people. Some good stuff coming from you all. :)

One thing I did want to ask (Although it's technically off topic... In my own topic :p ) is...

I have downloaded the latest Zaxxon firmware from the main sites download page.

1. Is that the latest stable release (Not beta versions or anything)

2. When I first get my Pandora, should I boot it up and complete the first run wizard, or can I just boot straight in while holding R and flash the firmware?

Thanks guys.

1- Yeah, it's the latest (1.52, you will see at boot).

2- Boot it, if you see 1.51 or earlier, shutdown and flash.

Since you brought it up....where would one find the 1.52 firmware...how do you actually flash - and I mean step by step...I'm really bad at this stuff....and would it possibly negatively affect anything I already have on the system?

I always HATE new Firmwares for this very reason...I'm afraid of screwing something up....or the new firmware screwing something up.

I have the same attitude with PC updates....why update stuff that works just freaking fine in the first place??

I know, hackers...but you know they will keep finding ways around, it is a never-ending battle. But no one would need to worry about someone hacking a Pandy, would they? So why all the new firmware all the time? Maybe there's a reason I don't know about...but the idea of flashing new firmware always scares the dickens out of me.

1.52 release thread:

Firmware flashing is not about security, it's just a way to update the operating system by copying the entire image. The pandora is essentially unbrickable, but if you're still a bit wary, you can probably use the updater mentioned in that thread instead.

With the updater, updating the firmware is a nobrainer.

Even flashing is just a case of extracting an archive to a sdcard, holding a button and selecting an option.

No rocketscience at all.

Back