Pandora's Next Competitor - The Iphone!

i do like my iphone, and see some potential, i'm thinking i will get rid of my 8gb iphone when the new 3g version comes out. i'm gonna sit on the sides once the 3g version is out and see if it's easy to jailbreak.

i have tons of stuff on my iphone now, but i don't see it being anything comparable to pandora. the lack of some sort of input controls really limits the phone. some of the games and emus i have on my iphone use the onscreen type controls, and they are anything but reliable, very poor way of control input.

Still, I don't think that because Craigix made some comments people gotta go and compare Pandora to every small electronics device with an arm (or even x86) processor on the planet.

sold said:
Seriosly,why are these comparisons being made at all?

Apple are gonna do something somewhere at some time with somebody that may mean games on their overpriced mp3 player disguised as a phone. Oh no! Better compare these completely different, unrelated items!

Eee vs. Pandora was a stupid comparison. And now the Pandora vs. Iphone. First Pandora vs. a (tiny) laptop computer. Now Pandora vs a freakin mobile phone? Thats retarded. Whats next?

Certain calculators have games on them. Better compare them! It might mean competition! People might buy them instead of Pandora so they can play games between solving difficult math problems! We'll show them whats a better bit of hardware we will!

This is a stupid exercise. And I feel a little silly spending time pointing that out, but there you go.
Anything with a CPU (+MMU, lets not start comparing stopwatches here) in it can be compared as a computer. Ultimately the goal here is to compare what each computer offers its user base with in terms of features and benefits. The Pandora is a computer, the PSP is a computer, the EEE is a computer, the iPhone is a computer. The servers running Google are computers. You're sure as hell using a computer to read this text and some of the people surfing these forums here are wondering what all these computers can do. That being said, pure specs DON'T say what each has to offer, so I'm doubling up the sheet with Features / Benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
The iPhone chip is 600+ MHz. At least, so says Engadget:
Despite it being a 600mhz part, I'm pretty sure the OS down clocks it to a max of 420mhz to conserve battery.

AireTamStorm said:
Anything with a CPU (+MMU, lets not start comparing stopwatches here) in it can be compared as a computer. Ultimately the goal here is to compare what each computer offers its user base with in terms of features and benefits. The Pandora is a computer, the PSP is a computer, the EEE is a computer, the iPhone is a computer. The servers running Google are computers. You're sure as hell using a computer to read this text and some of the people surfing these forums here are wondering what all these computers can do. That being said, pure specs DON'T say what each has to offer, so I'm doubling up the sheet with Features / Benefits.
That still doesn't mean all these different computers gotta be compared. I'm not tying to tell you what to do, I just dont get it. Also it clearly states on the top of the post "Pandora's Next Competitor -The Iphone!" See how comparisons can sorta look a little fanboy-ish?(No offence, not atually calling you a fanboy, and I know you didn't start this topic) The last was "Pandora vs. Eee pc" Debate? Versus? Its like you are comparing things to make pandora the winner. Not everything needs to be a competition.

EDIT: spelling and junk

shmuck said:
Trying to actually get something you already rendered on the screen takes several ms, turning the 400+MHz ARM11 with DDR SDRAM into something often slower than a 200MHz GP2X.

The iPhone chip is 600+ MHz. At least, so says Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-...und-620mhz-arm/

It's a 600MHz ARM11 though, not a 600MHz Cortex A8. That's a lot slower.

Firefox said:
It might be a 600MHz ARM, clocked around 400MHz, that in the real world is performing around the same as a 200MHz GP2X for a lot of things.

Exophase said:
Firefox said:
It might be a 600MHz ARM, clocked around 400MHz, that in the real world is performing around the same as a 200MHz GP2X for a lot of things.

... and for once the GP2X actually has the better joystick. ;)

chad78 said:
I tried to stay away from the flame, but....

you are all *NUTS!*

I write you on my MacBook - the best computer I have ever owned.
Well, send me one and I'll try it. :p

But seriously, yeah - Mac OS's do seem nice. From all I've ever read, it seems they do good work on that front. I have nothing against MacOS. As for Apple hardware - I just really despise what it represents and boils down to - overpriced consumer bling.

Exophase said:
As I'm finding out lately, something about the iPhone is inefficient as all get out. Trying to actually get something you already rendered on the screen takes several ms, turning the 400+MHz ARM11 with DDR SDRAM into something often slower than a 200MHz GP2X.
even with saurik's toolchain using a true gcc and not a llvm-gcc, and complete headers and libraries so you can use more low level resources ?

Prophet said:
The only way I'll ever own a an Apple product is if someone gives me one for free.

Same here. Lucky me though, my dad missed a couple of birthdays and he is willing to get me a very expensive laptop. Since it's free I might as well try it.

chad78 said:
I tried to stay away from the flame, but....
you are all *NUTS!*

Just wanted to tell you that not all people find OS X so great. For me it's just a tad bit more pleasant to work with than windows. I have way too little control over what happens and more often than not I don't agree with apple's vision of what's good for me. If I do get that mac, I'll happily put linux on it since everything 'just works' there as well (at least for me).

And it's not a bit more expensive, it's DOUBLE the price for mostly the same hardware :D

sindbad said:
And it's not a bit more expensive, it's DOUBLE the price for mostly the same hardware :D
That's bs - spec it out yourself. There have been times I've done it and the Dell is more expensive - for the same or for lesser hardware.

chad78 said:
sindbad said:
That's bs - spec it out yourself. There have been times I've done it and the Dell is more expensive - for the same or for lesser hardware.

Nope. An XPS m1530 with a penryn cpu and 8600gt is a hair away from being half of a macbook pro. At least in these here parts, I don't know about other countries.

sindbad said:
chad78 said:
sindbad said:

Nope. An XPS m1530 with a penryn cpu and 8600gt is a hair away from being half of a macbook pro. At least in these here parts, I don't know about other countries.

That's interesting. When I compare the M1730 including all the extras necessary to match it to a 17" Macbook Pro, it comes out at $200 more expensive. Never mind the excellent build quality*, software, weight and technological features that accompany the Macbooks.

* An exception to this is first gen Apple hardware - its usually better to wait for a revision until all hardware problems are ironed out (c.f. 1st gen iPod, iMac, Macbook, etc)

quartercast said:
That's interesting. When I compare the M1730 including all the extras necessary to match it to a 17" Macbook Pro, it comes out at $200 more expensive. Never mind the excellent build quality*, software, weight and technological features that accompany the Macbooks.
Apple stuff is really expensive around here. About 50% more than in the US, which contributes to those juicy double prices.
Software is meaningless to me and the only technological advantage would be the MagSafe. Ignoring technological disadvantages like no card reader and only 2/3 USBs.

So it's hardly worth it (unless I do manage to get one for free).

quartercast said:
That's interesting. When I compare the M1730 including all the extras necessary to match it to a 17" Macbook Pro, it comes out at $200 more expensive.
Now that's just bunk. US prices:

M1730 basic specs w/ WinXP is $2500 ($2400 if you're willing to put up with Vista)
17" Macbook basic specs is $2800

There are some small differences between them, the Macbook has a larger/slower hard drive and marginally faster CPU/slower GPU, but they're pretty directly comparable.

I don't know what you're adding to jack up the price, (Apple fans usually do this by saying that iLife is worth gobs of money and complaining about lack of firewire, etc.) but let's keep things in perspective here.

You're right that build quality will cerrtainly make up for a relatively small difference in price, and Apple's laptops are generally pretty good (though personally I don't think that they can really compare to a Thinkpad), but I've heard some positive things about Dell's XPS line. I wouldn't make the assumption that this is a clear win for Apple.

sindbad said:
Apple stuff is really expensive around here. About 50% more than in the US, which contributes to those juicy double prices.
Software is meaningless to me and the only technological advantage would be the MagSafe. Ignoring technological disadvantages like no card reader and only 2/3 USBs.

So it's hardly worth it (unless I do manage to get one for free).
Oh, where are you? I'm in Australia, our Apple prices used to be very steep but they've come down over the years. And if you're a student/teacher you can get a special price :)

Some other nice features the Macbook pros come with are firewire, slot-loading DVD burner, expresscard slot, and multi-touch touchpad. I'm not sure if those features come standard on the Dell's, I assume multi-touch is Apple-only at the moment. I bought my Macbook because of its low weight, uncluttered design, and great screen, keyboard (very important and often overlooked!), and operating system. The only thing I resent is having to buy an extra 3 years warranty, these days most manufacturers offer these as standard (at least 2 years).

Anyways, this is OT. I will shut up now, carry on ;P

I figure we can keep it OT since there's not much useful to be said about the iPhone
quartercast said:
Oh, where are you? I'm in Australia, our Apple prices used to be very steep but they've come down over the years. And if you're a student/teacher you can get a special price :)

Romania. Next year I'll be in the UK, again huge price tags.

quartercast said:
Some other nice features the Macbook pros come with are firewire, slot-loading DVD burner, expresscard slot

All found in Dells (you have to look for firewire though, but it has very limited use anyway).
Multi-touch isn't that great. I've tried it and hotkeys are much faster for me. A plugin for Compiz to zoom in on pinching might be useful, but that's about it.

If macs came with ubuntu preinstalled and no OS X I'd sell a lung and be apple's customer. And get an USB card reader.

shmuck said:
quartercast said:
That's interesting. When I compare the M1730 including all the extras necessary to match it to a 17" Macbook Pro, it comes out at $200 more expensive.
Now that's just bunk. US prices:

M1730 basic specs w/ WinXP is $2500 ($2400 if you're willing to put up with Vista)
17" Macbook basic specs is $2800

There are some small differences between them, the Macbook has a larger/slower hard drive and marginally faster CPU/slower GPU, but they're pretty directly comparable.

I don't know what you're adding to jack up the price, (Apple fans usually do this by saying that iLife is worth gobs of money and complaining about lack of firewire, etc.) but let's keep things in perspective here.

You're right that build quality will cerrtainly make up for a relatively small difference in price, and Apple's laptops are generally pretty good (though personally I don't think that they can really compare to a Thinkpad), but I've heard some positive things about Dell's XPS line. I wouldn't make the assumption that this is a clear win for Apple.

Oops I made a mistake, I clicked on the Dell Dual 512MB SLI graphics option instead of Dual 256. SLi on a laptop confuses me! Wouldn't you rather run a single card with twice the memory (like on the Macbook Pro)? That jacked up the price by over $700. Sorry all. The Pro also comes with less memory (2GB vs 4GB)

When it comes to a price to features ratio, I think Asus would blow both Apple and Dell away. They consistently upgrade their product range with the latest components, they are very reasonably priced and offer a 2 year warranty as standard.

sindbad said:
I figure we can keep it OT since there's not much useful to be said about the iPhone
quartercast said:

Romania. Next year I'll be in the UK, again huge price tags.

quartercast said:
Some other nice features the Macbook pros come with are firewire, slot-loading DVD burner, expresscard slot

All found in Dells (you have to look for firewire though, but it has very limited use anyway).
Multi-touch isn't that great. I've tried it and hotkeys are much faster for me. A plugin for Compiz to zoom in on pinching might be useful, but that's about it.

If macs came with ubuntu preinstalled and no OS X I'd sell a lung and be apple's customer. And get an USB card reader.
How much premium do you think they add on for OS X? My guess is not much, apple seems to charge a lot more for their hardware (look at the ridiculous price they charge for memory upgrades)

Back