Pandora's Emulators - What Will Work And What Won't

john4p said:
Will the Pandora's screen be able to run at 50Hz? Because that's necessary for perfect Amiga experience...

If you live outside of the US, yes. Remember the US are using 60 Hz.

Last edited by a moderator:
john4p said:
Will the Pandora's screen be able to run at 50Hz? Because that's necessary for perfect Amiga experience...
My Amiga ran at 60Hz. :)

Don't know about Pandora's LCD, but I'm guessing it will be hardwired to 60Hz.

I wonder whether the tv-out can be set for NTSC and PAL though.

bustaballs said:
I'd kill for a fully functional Saturn emulator. I'd show no mercy.
I wish for one as well. However it is quite clear that all saturn fans will be waiting for a fair while yet. Saturn emulation is still not great on modern PC's, and yes I know there is no comparision between ARM and x86 but I think it fairly clear that a high end PC is more powerful than the pandora.

The problem with the saturn is that it was such a horrible collection of parts and processors that emulating it is very difficult. Any person who attempts to emulate the saturn on the pandora will probably not get much more than a slideshow to run (purely speculative, but I think my reasoning is fairly sound).

So, a certain legendary dev has finally put it in black and white...

Taking a look at N64 emulation on the Pandora. More news as it develops.

:ph34r:

I know "taking a look at" isn't grounds to get excited at this stage, but that doesn't mean I'm not.

im pretty sure this handheld will handle mariokart form Super Nes very well. even the psp can handle it at frameship 1 with near full speed ( like 54 to 58 fps.) works perfect at framskip 2.

I think for the first time we can hope for a snes emu with fullspeed with all games with the time goes. at worst case some of them using frameskip 1.

i hope the genesis/megadrive emu will be great too.

the psx emu seems great. with opengl rendering.

and i believe zod will get a good working n64 emu

i hope i post this in the good thread. :)

I suggest that Prophet updates his original post to say who, if anyone, is working on writing/porting emulators for the consoles he listed.

Vorporeal said:
I suggest that Prophet updates his original post to say who, if anyone, is working on writing/porting emulators for the consoles he listed.
I may start doing that.

EDIT: OK, I've begun bolding and coloring green those systems that (I know of for sure) already have emulators begun. I will ONLY do this for emulators that have begun being ported/coded already. So there may be many devs planning emus, but only those that have begun coding using a Pandora dev unit will be indicated in the list.

If any devs have begun coding and would like that system to be green lighted in the list, please let me know. I will also list your name if you want, it's up to you.

Question!:

Why would it be hard to emulate 486 required dos game via DosBox? The PSX runs at about the same power as a 486 machine, right?

bustaballs said:
Question!:

Why would it be hard to emulate 486 required dos game via DosBox? The PSX runs at about the same power as a 486 machine, right?
It runs at a simialr clock speed, but the processors involved are miles apart. It may be that DOSBox gets up into slow 486 territory, but it will take a lot more work, if it's even possible. Basically, low-to-mid range 386 speeds were quoted for DOSBox because that's what a direct port of the GP2X version would likely run at. Higher performance could be wrung out of the emulator with serious optimizations, but we don't know for sure if somebody is willing to put in that sort of time and effort. There are a couple very good programmers looking at the code to see what can be done, but that's no guarantee.

bustaballs said:
Question!:

What Chip wrote.

Also, always remember that my list is partly speculative, and I try to be conservative.

Goity said:
According to here
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115613

there's a PSP emulator in progress. Doesn't necessarily mean anything will come from it though.

oh my god !!!! it was a "local" post on pspdev.org as an answer to a guy who wants to make a PSP emulator on PC by emulating directly the hardware (what I consider not feasible due to lack of hardware details), and now it is spread over dcemu !?

hlide said:
Goity said:
According to here
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115613

there's a PSP emulator in progress. Doesn't necessarily mean anything will come from it though.

oh my god !!!! it was a "local" post on pspdev.org as an answer to a guy who wants to make a PSP emulator on PC by emulating directly the hardware (what I consider not feasible due to lack of hardware details), and now it is spread over dcemu !?

LOL! :lol:

Well you already know that I will do various Atari ST emus, and likely also interactive fictoin engines (infocom, magnetic scrolls, and others.) (plus some of my own games and such.)

just waiting for my machine to come .. hopefully I'm in the early dev bunch :)

jeff

Like there was any doubt! :) I'm hoping Pandora is my new home .. can do browsing, gaming, emuing, ssh .. *lust*

jeff

skeezix said:
Well you already know that I will do various Atari ST emus, and likely also interactive fictoin engines (infocom, magnetic scrolls, and others.) (plus some of my own games and such.)
*really* looking forward to all of these!

Back