Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?

Will you buy the Pandora 2 if it only has microSD slots?

• Yes, I don't mind much or at all.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Yes, but I'd prefer it had at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 35 27.6%
  • No, I need to be able to use full sized SD - it needs at least one full sized SD slot.

Votes: 50 39.4%
  • No, microSD sucks and I will not buy it if has any microSD slots.

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters

doesn't this conflict with your above statement?

you said:

1/3 found triple fullSDXC unacceptable

therefore more than half found twin fullSDXC unacceptable

while more than half think having twin fullSDXC with onboard NAND or microSD is acceptable

2/3 find triple fullSDXC unacceptable. Therefore a majority find this configuration (which is a kind of configuration with 2X SD) unacceptable.

I wasn't being general about 2X SD, my point is that you can't be general based on his poll results.

No conflict, my wording was perhaps fuzzy. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys... is there any point in continuing this ad nauseam?

@Grench: You do make some valid points *BUT*...

You destroy your credibility by the way you conduct yourself.

Instead of getting people to consider the options you present, you end up just getting people riled up so they then focus on your character flaws instead.

You keep on insisting that 'you are right'... and you will keep on changing your angle or how you present information in order to maintain this.

Come on man! You want people to show you respect and listen to you?

Then show some humility.

Stop trying to be so damn clever.

Treat everyone as an equal... and no I don't mean opening the floor for you to invite/provoke people into challenging you so that you can have the pleasure of a battle of cleverness in which you will endeavor to emerge the clear superior at any cost.

It

is

boring!

And to everyone that can see what you're really doing, you look a 'right' fool.

These boards took the two replies and merged them into one message. THAT part was not meant for you WizardStan.
Fair enough. I look forward to seeing your justifications for the rest, however.
Thank you.

[evil]

Misleading? You're the one now talking about THREE SD card slots after finally agreeing that we simply needed two. Sheesh.
Yeah, my mistake. Sorry, I oversimplfied.
No worries.

There WERE "several people" who promoted a strictly microSD based device - it was not just CraigIX. Or were you making the assumption that this was all about YOU again?[/evil]
No, I'm still pretty sure Craig was the only actively vocal person who wanted an all microSD device. If anyone else mentioned it, it would have been a passing comment, hardly vocal at all.
I already found one example - per request. It was post 12 of 200+. Law of averages says there are likely 5-20 more. I'm not going to spend the next 4 days dredging through all of the posts on all three of these threads.

I DO make the argument though that arguing FOR internal microSD IS akin to arguing for an entirely microSD based device. By stating that microSD is, 'good enough' for a boot and /swap space device - which is the most demanding card position in a Pandora - they are stating that it is, 'good enough'.

I also contend that since CraigIX stated that it would be a completely microSD device with no NAND OS drive - we all immediately jumped to the conclusion that we would have an internal card slot making CraigIX's Pandora 2 a 3 slot microSD based device. I think that may be an assumption without complete founding. For all any of us know he may be thinking of a device with only one microSD. We do not know.

To jump from an assumed 3 slot microSD device to - two full sized exposed SD cards AND an internal microSD is a, 'have your cake and eat it too,' argument.

But you REALLY want to go there AGAIN? OK.
Nope, and I never said I did. In fact, I'm pretty sure I was quite careful to ensure the conversation did not go the direction that you are trying to drag it. I said, and then restated, that I was strictly talking about your implication that some significantly large group of people, large enough to be wroth mentioning, wants an inferior device with fewer than two full sized, full speed SD cards. You worded your statement in such a way to make your opinion the obviously better choice, insinuating that those that disagreed with you were necessarily wrong. I was clarifying that the argument had not ever been about whether there should be two full sized SD cards or "something else", that it was about what to do about the internal SD slot intended for the OS, whatever else may go on the outside.
What is on the outside matters too, but I get your point. I will endeavor to be more fair in my attempts to summarize positions when trying to avoid re-hashing the same stuff all over again.

I do have a question for you though. Choose between these two.

Device A. Two exposed microSD slots, one internal microSD slot.

Device B. One exposed SD slot, one internal SD slot.

Which configuration would you rather see on the Pandora 2?

Device A seems to be the general interpretation of CraigIX's statements - it could be way off.

Device B is my counter proposal to A - while maintaining full sized cards AND an internal boot device AND keeping the on-board real-estate use as close to A as possible.

Thank you for your civility.

Where's this notion that microSD is replacing normal SD cards coming from? All applications (camcorders, cameras, laptops, 3DS, etc.) where the expectation is that you'll swap the card out with some routine use either normal SD cards, or in the case of the Vita a proprietary format with similar dimensions. Only applications where thin profile has priority and the expectation is the card will rarely be removed from its fully enclosed, dare I say armored, receptacle.

It's not hard to understand why if you've handled microSD cards, they're relatively fragile and not suited to taking abuse from routine handling. Switching the Pandora over to primarily using them, and for that matter neglecting to make GNU/Linux a priority, would involve radically changing the projected usage profile away from the niche that actually serves to justify its existence.

Jebe was simply expressing the utter shock and dismay that some of us felt when we found out that CraigIX was considering axing full sized SD slots from the future Pandora 2.
That sir is a lie. I pointed out a pragmatic issue, emotional dismay was not involved. Do you honestly have to add lying about other people on top of general trolling?
Please re-read your statement above.

It starts with an emotive question. (shock)

It follows with argumentative statements supporting a contrary position. (dismay)

An additional paragraph of supporting arguments follows. (continued dismay)

I call that as I see it.

I don't blame Jebe for asking the question. Calling me names after I suggested a way to clarify this - that's rather annoying.
Calling you names? Is there something wrong with your head? Calling you names would involve something along the lines of refering to you as a poopy headed reprobate that an Irishman would spit on in disgust. Pointing out your trolling is commenting on behavior, and honestly how do you think you can possibly sell that you aren't by immediately meeting all the requirements of trolling:

-Long incoherent posts

-Excessive use of quote tags

-Not paying attention to others points to the point they comment on their disatisfaction

-Inspiring and continuing unnecessary conflict

& last but not least

-Arguing with everyone in the room while conducting yourself like a drama queen.
You forgot one.

-Ignoring the topic and attacking the person instead of the topic or ideas presented.

Which reminds me. What constructive argument did your last two posts in this thread support? The ones where you are calling me a troll and a liar. How does that relate in any way to an argument for or against using microSD or SD cards in a future Pandora 2?

Are you telling me I'm supposed to live in a world that if a man blatant does something I can't say they are? Are we no longer allowed to point at someone who has rather clearly commited an act of thievary and cry thief anymore either?

As for constructive, discouraging you from wasting pages of board space on such nonsense seems constructive enough.

You are welcome to call it as you see it.

I'm arguing points on topic to the thread. Are you?

Calling me a troll, then a liar and now a thief - none of that is particularly constructive. Frankly, I find it rather humorous and childish. Would you like to discuss the topic now? Or is this all about me again?

What is on the outside matters too, but I get your point. I will endeavor to be more fair in my attempts to summarize positions when trying to avoid re-hashing the same stuff all over again.
So you can almost admit to making a mistake. Guess it'll do.

No. I said I wasn't going to get into that with you weeks ago and I intend to stand by that statement.

The majority of people would like two fullSDXC slots in some configuration

I, personally would like them to both be exposed*

I accept that full-size SD is superior to microSD in terms of capacity, possibly speed etc

I would be happy to buy a P2 that was, say 1cm longer from left to right, if there was then room for an internal microSD slot - it seems like a good payoff to me.

To me, having three SDXC slots would be excessive, but more than acceptable if the P2 didn't have to be drastically bigger than the P1

With two external SDXC slots, I would be fine with booting of one of them if I needed the improved performance

*this is because of the possibility of booting off a USB stick, over a network or from a recovery disk on the SOC

VERY well stated - and THANK YOU for staying on topic!

Arguing for a 1cm (or other) wider handheld to make allowance for an internal microSD slot and two full sized SD slots is a solid option. I could live with that - especially if it allowed the device to be thinner.

I am utterly thrilled with having someone actually willing to discuss the topic - thank you!

Guys... is there any point in continuing this ad nauseam?

@Grench: You do make some valid points *BUT*...

And to everyone that can see what you're really doing, you look a 'right' fool.

No. I said I wasn't going to get into that with you weeks ago and I intend to stand by that statement.

FaeMinx and WizardStan - if you have no intention of actually discussing the stated topic, "Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?" then why are you posting here?

To everyone seemingly more interested in me than the thread topic -

Is calling me names and chastizing me really what you want to do in these, "Pandora 2 spam" threads? We should be dreaming up what we'd like to see - or what we speculate will be - or what our dream device would be. Even arguing the merits of one design type Vs. another. We should not be calling names and insisting on factual representation of current technology capabilities.

As such, I have created an off-topic area just special for all of you who would rather spew insults and deride me rather than discussing the topic.

Enjoy:

I think interpreting the desires of the people for the P2 is important, too.

61% of voters find internal microSD a suitable choice when paired with two full size SD. You still haven't admitted your 25% statement is wrong, Grench.

I'd love to philosophize on why a majority likes that but why a majority doesn't like 3 full size SD, but I can't get you past your own foregone conclusions about what the people think.

So if you're going to keep ignoring the reality that you are wrong on some pretty fundamental points, then might I suggest you ignore the rest of my posts rather than criticizing them for not being as "constructive" as your faulty argumentation.

FaeMinx and WizardStan - if you have no intention of actually discussing the stated topic, "Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?" then why are you posting here?
I have no intention of discussing it with you. You've proven a stonewall on this subject, I won't gain anything by listening to you repeat the same opinions over and over again. I have debated with others (and will do so again) on this topic who have new and original thoughts that are willing to consider my position and help find mutually beneficial compromises.

We're talking about 2014 and beyond. Full sized SD will have been surpassed by the domination of new devices using micro SD by then.

Full sized SD isn't the future.

I don't understand this statement. This sounds similar to saying that since Micro USB exists, full-sized USB isn't the future...simply because Micro USB will be used on more and more new devices. I'd say that while Micro USB ports work on phones because they need to be that small, they are inconvenient to use with any regular USB device because they have to be converted. I would never buy a computer/laptop without at least one "standard" USB port because most of my stuff uses it already. I don't want to have to convert everything I use.

Likewise, most of my stuff uses "standard" SD, and only for my phone do I need Micro SD (because of size concerns). One major difference between USB and SD in this analogy is that all USB "males" can be converted to fit all USB "females", but SD can only be converted one way. Since Micro SD cards can easily be used in regular SD slots (with an adapter), but regular SD WILL NEVER fit into a Micro SD slot, it seems obvious to me that if one wants the most convenient and widespread fuctionality, at least one standard SD slot is an ABSOLUTE MUST. For me, using a standard sized adapter is the only way to comfortably handle a Micro SD card.

My preference is to have two standard SD slots on the outside...do whatever you want with the inside. If I can't have two, I need at least one and will have to deal with swapping out cards for different purposes and duplicating many programs across all of my cards (like firefox and whatnot). Right now, I have all of my programs on the left card, and can switch out the right whenever I want without losing program access. This works for me.

It'd be silly to not include a standard USB on the Pandora 2 because flash drives (they are very convenient) would have to be converted (they would be less convenient). Likewise, it'd be even sillier to not include a standard SD slot on the Pandora 2 because most of my perfectly fine removable media becomes useless. Backward-compatibility is more of the future than barreling forward. USB is about convenience, while SD is about functonality. Please don't needlessly cripple the Pandora 2. I'm fine with it being a bit bigger than it otherwise would be to accommodate these things.

ps. Ditching standard SD and standard USB completely when not absolutely necessary isn't the future. All that can be done to incorporate these should be done, I think.

Also, when a Micro SD adapter is in use, it adds nothing extra that needs to be carried around. Without a standard SD slot, a USB card reader would have to be carried around.

Ps. Sorry if some of these things have already been shared...I'm just now joining in the thread.

FaeMinx and WizardStan - if you have no intention of actually discussing the stated topic, &quot;Pandora with microSD - will you buy it?&quot; then why are you posting here?<br />
I have no intention of discussing it <i>with you</i>. You've proven a stonewall on this subject, I won't gain anything by listening to you repeat the same opinions over and over again. I have debated with others (and will do so again) on this topic who have new and original thoughts that are willing to consider my position and help find mutually beneficial compromises.<br />

Very nicely said.

@Grench: I appologize for my attack on your character. I never should have gotten involved... I showed myself to be a fool by posting that post. It achieved nothing except proving that I'm a hypocrite.

I don't want to be an agent of spreading negativity. So you are perfectly correct - if I have nothing constructive to add regarding the thread topic, I'm not going to say anything at all.

My appologies again.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

All of you guys definitely need some hobbies.

Will this awkward thread never end?

Consider some sports, make some music, read a book, etc.... ;)

Back