Pandora Wiki Cleanup in progress

I did ask if it was ok to do the cleanup. I didnt notice that i didnt say what was going to be done, as i did for the others, so when i was given the go ahead i thought things were clear.
Rofl, you linked to kinda main page with statistics, not my own pages, i found your PM strange, but well, your main menu seemed ok.

Otherwise, i can guarantee you i would have said "no".

He has a backup. I havent done anything besides change the organizing of the scattered pages. I will even organize them for him (section it, make pageheaders to each) if i get a reply to my questions or anything constructive. Thus far i got the ok to cleaning it up, and then nothing more.

This is how it works, everthing cant be a mess just to have static links to pages that 100 people have seen remain valid. Chaos breeds chaos.

We already deleted lots of pages that were trying to document standard linux behavior, because we dont want to maintain it, nor should we, evidently nobody could, bothered, or noticed them missing.

Nothing is permanently deleted, backups are kept, at all ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no backup at all !!! You are nuts ! Only wiki admin have access to deleted pages.

I don't care if you deleted invalid stuff.

I care because you deleted my valid stuff, without my consent, and now you don't want to put my pages to their normal state.

Honestly, bring back the pages!

Organisation and structure - Yes. But when the same person maintains both the (rather complex) system the pages refer too, as well as the pages, it makes rather good sense to keep it that way. It is, after all, LinuxSWAT who knows what needs to be known about Slackware on the pandora. And since stuff obviously is not being made in accordance to LinuxSWATs wishes, it makes sense to apologize, restore the pre-edit state and then possibly initiate a discussion with him on how things could be better. If there is any trust left there, of course. 

You messed up. Fix the mess and do it again, the right way.

My pages are about a whole OS, it can't fit on one single page.

You are linking to the wrong page. This is what it looked like http://pandorawiki.org/index.php?title=NewMain_page&oldid=27353

36 pages, i had to make a table out of it, with colourcoded pageview rank. It seems rather clear what the problem is.

Only the first 5 have anything specific to do with slackware on pandora. Only as an addition to the slackware stuff do the other things do anything. Then it loses relevance, and lo and behold, it loses attention, because it doesnt get seen from then on.

Check out this http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Or if you want to read it like a book. http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/pr01.en.html

It makes sense, its sequential, it is sectioned. Thats a monumental undertaking an order of magnitude bigger than the already vast slackware documentation. Why does it belong on a pandora wiki?

I havent touched any new pages, so i guess what you want is the history revisions for Software projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced usage ?

System A all different pages

........... ↓→

...↓→↓..seen 40000 times... 5000 ..3000 4000... 5000

System B all sequential by pageviews since there is a "coincidence" that the most important pages are directly related and the rest is peripheral. Views correlate to relation to pandora> slackware for pandora> documentation for pandora

40000 Software projects/OS/Slackware

5000 Software projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced usage‏‎

Proposed system sectioned and user readable like the debian one above is

1 Slackware (40000)

2 Advanced usage (5000)

etc etc

I don't care about Debian.

I WANT MY PAGES BACK.

You are penalizing users with your attitude.

You are linking to the wrong page. This is what it looked like http://pandorawiki.org/index.php?title=NewMain_page&oldid=27353

36 pages, i had to make a table out of it, with colourcoded pageview rank. It seems rather clear what the problem is.

Only the first 5 have anything specific to do with slackware on pandora. Only as an addition to the slackware stuff do the other things do anything. Then it loses relevance, and lo and behold, it loses attention, because it doesnt get seen from then on.
Quite without bothering about what that page you're linking is supposed to show, that is not at all relevant to the problem here. The problem is that someone has put a lot of work into something, and you go in and trample all over it without discussing things properly with that someone. That is not the way to get more people interested in contributing to this wiki and this community. You f*cked up. Possibly not in the wiki structure, but in the way how to deal with other members of the community. Back down, restore the pages, and then discuss how it could be improved.

I would do that in a heartbeat if my revision log wasnt backlogged one edit at the time with vague explanations as to what happened since.

I have long since apologized for just fixing the thing myself. None of the issues raised seem to be of any importance. I did ask to do a cleanup, nobody asked me what the point of my edits were for, meanwhile i have explained that.

Well, it can't be a lot more difficult than just going backwards through the logs and undo, eh?

I agree. Please bring the Slackware pages back to State A and THEN discuss with Linux-SWAT what could be improved, it's definitely better if he does it himself as actively maintains his pages. It's okay to clean up and merge abandoned stuff, but not pages that are actively been maintained by one person.

Please let me know before you make changes in the Pandora Qemu Wiki too.

There are much important Infos for Qemu.

Old but all this are for the Pandora Qemu PND actual.

I understand why Linux Swat is so angry beacuse he had so much work.

I've got daily database backups, so I can easily go back to the state before the changes. However, all other changes would need to be redone in this case.

Let me know what's easier for you.

Please let me know before you make changes in the Pandora Qemu Wiki too.

There are much important Infos for Qemu.

Old but all this are for the Pandora Qemu PND actual.

I understand why Linux Swat is so angry beacuse he had so much work.
...and this is why it is a problem. Content creators shouldn't have to worry that someone messes up stuff that they've worked on. If that is a real worry, then there is no incentive to put things on the wiki.

It isnt.

But having to worry about people not reading revision logs and messing things up does make moderating harder. It just amazes me that i cant get a solid answer. Guess i have to fork the wiki to make changes to pages that nobody has seen.

The Qemu page isnt up for organizing, it respects the layout just fine. It has 22000 views, if it made up 20% of the wiki in pages that would be a problem. Compability list and the premade images has 200 and 600 views, which is a shame, because the qemu pages are a hallmark of style and formatting. Even the naming convention is descriptive.

Im going for a walk, if someone wants to leave anything constructive while im out im all for it.

You don't get it. The problem is not whether a page has this or that number of view, or this or that percentage of the wiki pages. The problem is if people become afraid that their pages will be tampered with without their knowledge. Your worry about revision logs and whatever is rather secondary, because nobody who is reasonably active should have to do that to find out what has happened to their pages - They should already be a part of what is happening long before there is any entry in those logs.

Back