Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's blame the bastard

thabasterd.jpg

So wait, MWeston is going to be replacing a resistor on the first 500 boards, by hand? Or does he have someone else to help him? Because that seems like it'd take at least a couple weeks, although it's pretty moot if it fits in with all the other assembly procedures.

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?
350 KB/s is fine for 802.11b, for an 802.11g capable chip I would expect 5 times that amount.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
So wait, MWeston is going to be replacing a resistor on the first 500 boards, by hand? Or does he have someone else to help him? Because that seems like it'd take at least a couple weeks, although it's pretty moot if it fits in with all the other assembly procedures.

Oh god please, say it aint so

54Mbps is the theoretical limit. You don't get anything like that, in my experience, in real terms. However if it's a resistor change what's impeding proper and full 802.11g operation now? It's good all the boards aren't assembled then :) It's really good news that the issue has been found but what's stopping full speed operation then?

After the resister change, are there still dropped packets?

Also, is that 350kB/sec when running the normal firmware, or is that 350kB/sec raw transfer speed when nothing else is running?

Even if it's just raw transfer speed, then it still sounds like nearly a factor of 10 improvement.

Maybe MWeston should overnight fixed boards to Notaz and others in order to do more driver testing to see if full speed can be achieved now or if there might still be further hardware problems.

Think we all needed the good news especially on a Monday, thanks Craig.....bring 'em on! My car could use a speed boost also....hmmmmm

I want to hook my company's OC-3 up to my pandora, I will not accept anything less than 150mbps... I don't care if wireless g only goes up to 54Mbps... figure it out!

Exophase said:
How on earth do you get that figure? Even at one per minute, that'd just be 10 hours.

Has anyone tested bluetooth file transfer to see if speeds are as expected? If the wifi/BT module was previously underpowered, perhaps this fix improved BT as well.

Multiplex said:
Exophase said:
How on earth do you get that figure? Even at one per minute, that'd just be 10 hours.

Not mentioning that if you need to decrease the value you can simply solder one "on top" of the existing one - no desoldering needed and damn fast to do (under one minute even counting taking the resistor and board and putting it back) by someone who is used to soldering smd's.

Even desoldering the existing resistor first will only add a little more time if you use a decent smd workstation.

Manually changing one resistor should be timewise faster then the assembly process, so ONE person soldering instead of assembling the first 2 day's or so.

350kbs is good enough for anyone. You're all spoilt with your sillyfast connections :D

Dead1nside said:
54Mbps is the theoretical limit. You don't get anything like that, in my experience, in real terms. However if it's a resistor change what's impeding proper and full 802.11g operation now? It's good all the boards aren't assembled then :) It's really good news that the issue has been found but what's stopping full speed operation then?

Good question. IMO it's not a question of whether 350 KB/s is "fast enough" - it is, for most things; my internet connection rarely hits 2.5 Mbps these days - but "why are we still nowhere near correct operation?" Even allowing for all the usual issues, I get around 5 times this speed on my wireless network when copying files. A top speed 350 KB/s indicates that there's still a problem somewhere, and given that it sounds like a hardware issue, I don't know that I'd be too quick to want everything shipped.

Well, Michael did test a download from a normal internet site, not internal network.
I don't know how fast his internet connection is, but most probably not 54Mbps.

If he got an internet connection of 6Mbps, he could get a max of 750KB/s theoretical speed.
As network connections do need a lot of overhead, 350KB/s sounds like a maximum internet download speed for 6Mbps.

However, that was the maximum speed he could get yet - normally it is about 66KB/s stable, downloading from the file archive (I usually get a max of 112KB/s on my 16Mbps connection downloading from there, so who knows how good the speed really is).

There are still things that might be tweakable with that resistor, it could be possible increasing the speed a lot.
However, for audio and video streaming as well as normal websurfing, that speed should be enough.

Let him do more tweaks and more speed tests first (though I don't know if he got a server at home to test the real connection).

Good news: The modification is minimal and can be done within a few minutes. We told the company to send the boards already produced and tested to UK ASAP and Michael will go there and start modding.
Then we need the cases - and assembly will finally start.

As far as I know, they still plan on soldering on the nubs by hand, so the resistor should be nothing :unsure:

edit:
Sorry but I can't help wondering; after all the 'bitching' recently, why on earth test speed with something as unstable as an internet connection? While the new speed is good news, please please please do some SOLID STABLE PREDICTABLE TESTING!

craigix said:
What would people take as a minimum speed?

I'd think that, if this is the speed _without_ packet loss, it'd be OK to most users, if not all pre-orderers. Almost as fast as my sad US broadband allows. Large file xfer can happen via sneakernet. Not optimal, but acceptable.

I do think that many reviewers will shit all over the Pandora if that's the shipping WiFi speed, but that might not be a concern to the OP team.

Of course, some infos regarding the cause, whether improvements _may_ happen, etc. would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back