Pandora Wi-Fi On 350kilobytes/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh MWeston is working his ass of just like Ed and Craig and well everyone else i imagine ,all i am
saying is that a retest of all parts would be a good idea ? seeing as it's the removal ,not replacment
of the resistor.From what Ed is saying i can see now that the resistor was not needed in early board
productions so that sounds like a very possitive signal that the resistor was mainly to blame ,sorry
if i was a bit stong but i would hate to see 4000 boards needing replaced and i do understand that
MWeston has given the good news before going to bed early in the morning ,i am sure he will do further
testing and fingers crossed the wifi is full speed or the driver simply needs reworking.

paddy said:
Yeh MWeston is working his ass of just like Ed and Craig and well everyone else i imagine ,all i am
saying is that a retest of all parts would be a good idea ? seeing as it's the removal ,not replacment
of the resistor.

Who is saying this? It's a replacement of an resistor. For the mods, we stick another one on top since this is faster and easier for producing the rest the correct resistor can be populated so no prob.

Last edited:
Great news, this is much faster than my netbook can handle (I only get about 75KB/s stable 120max) I was actually kind of looking forward to the dongle to speed up the internet on my computer.

I somehow read it that the resistor was being removed as not needed ? i have no idea why i thought
this ,but yes from re'reading craig's post the resistor will be replaced as Ed confirms.

Sorry for the confusion Ed

LuvClub said:
Why is everyone talking about good enough for internet-surfing? Hopefully we will still get the full 54mbps so that one day we could use it for other things such as say emus being able to load the larger zipped roms at a reasoable speed from a network drive. Of course I congratulate the OP team on the current progress with the wifi, but hope that they still intend to aim for the full theorertical speed less overheads.

+1 -- honestly could care less about internet surfing on the Pandora. If I want to do surfing - I'll just use my laptop. What I want wifi for is accessing a network drive - and 350 Kb/s is pretty poor for that type of usage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent news. Thanks for all the hard work and congratulations on solving the problem!

Seems perfectly fast enough for anything I'm currently planning to do with it.

350 kB/s roughly equals 2.8 Mb/s, the broadband in my flat is capable of 76 Mb/s.

I wonder what kind of speed would be required to stream a 480p movie from my computer, this is something I really want to be able to do with my Pandora.

Great news, I hope Mweston will have time to test a computer-to-pandora file transfer. I will probably also tether with wifi so surfing will be lovely (-:
How are you preparing for the assembly week? The arrival of cases and the time needed for this wifi issue is hard to tell, and won't some people need to know beforehand which days to skip work? Are you all on standby just waiting for the OK signal? :p

350 KB/s Is a fine minimum for me, I plan on light internet usage and heavy gaming usage anyway. Hope the cases ship soon.

Awakening said:
350 kB/s roughly equals 2.8 Mb/s, the broadband in my flat is capable of 76 Mb/s.

I wonder what kind of speed would be required to stream a 480p movie from my computer, this is something I really want to be able to do with my Pandora.
A 1 hour SD video is, let's say, 700MB.
700MB = 716800KB
716800KB/350KB/s = 2048s =~ 34 minutes. You could download a 1 hour SD video in 34 minutes.
In one hour, you could download a 1.2 gig file. More or less. Got to account for instability, and that 350KB/s is through his internet connection, so who knows what it actually is on a local server. Provided it is at least as good on a local server as through the internet, you should have no problem streaming reasonably encoded SD video.

Exophase said:
So wait, MWeston is going to be replacing a resistor on the first 500 boards, by hand? Or does he have someone else to help him? Because that seems like it'd take at least a couple weeks, although it's pretty moot if it fits in with all the other assembly procedures.

I'm assuming MWeston has a hot-air rework station, which would make it pretty fast.

Awakening said:

I wondered this myself. 350 kB/s is equivalent to about 21 MB / minute. Not taking into account the ability for the Pandora to decode the video, as long as your movies are encoded such that they don't exceed 21 MB / minute you should be ok. This means that for a 90 minute movie, the file size should be less than about 1890 MB in order to stream it to the Pandora. Most divx/xvid rips of movies are most likely under that size, so it's unlikely you will need to re-encode them.

Awakening said:
what kind of connection is that? oc1 is 50Mbps oc3 is 150Mbps I'm not familiar with anything in between.... and how much does that cost? Our company pays about 15k a month on our oc3 connection.

How many people are in your building? I just find this hard to believe, not calling you a lair.. I'm just very curious... might save us some money ;)

EDIT: looked into this a bit... don't see how you got that number
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-carrier#Notes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OC3#Optical_Carrier_specifications

Best news I've read in a month or two.

Thanks for figuring it out before it was too late. Speaking of late, what's the deal with the chinafolk and the cases? Still my # 1 concern, ZERO faith in the factory. Especially if they've not shipped the cases, Chinese New Year is around the corner :D

Peace & Cheeze

Link

Exophase said:
craigix said:
But a lot more preferable to paying for 4000 new boards and 1000 wifi dongles! :)

Oh hell yes ;)

But those dongles were so small and cute :-(

Im still skeptical about this fix, hopefully Weston was being limited by his isp connection and the wifi is capable of more, cause at that rate there still seems to be an issue. Granted at 350 KB it becomes usable, although not ideal given the specifications of the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back