Pandora Questions And Answers

sdedalus said:
Speakers? You really want decent speakers on something like this?
The speakers in the Nokia tablets are about right for a device like this. Loud and clear enough to listen to comfortably IMO and you can always resort to headphones if more is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
PoisonedV said:
there really is no unbiased source of information at this point, as all people who hold this knowledge are involved in the making, chances are they are high quality though
check out grusos links, especially the faq
not true. The screen is one that has been used in other devices before. They didn't really tell us much about the speakers, but I read that they're going to be quite high quality somewhere

I consider myself a fairly connected individual. I have a palm Treo smartphone and an mp3 player both of which I use daily, as well as my computer.

Funny thing is, I recently torched my treo (don't ask) and my mp3 player is wearing out in its old age. So, rather than getting a new treo (which are far more expensive than the pandora) and a new mp3 player, I'm looking at the pandora to replace the the pda and mp3 and gettting a junk phone. I have a few questions before I am fully convinced though

1. can the Pandora be closed and placed into a pocket to be used as an mp3 player or will it shut itself off? if it does shut off, can this be changed easily?

2. Is the clock speed of the pandora set solid in the bios, or can it be changed? One of the biggest selling points of the palm I had was that I could underclock it and get 2 times the battery life out of it when not doing processor intense stuff with it. I'd love to be able to crank the clock down when I'm just IMing and listening to music.

3. Being a linux box, it will have all kinds of stuff available to it from the open source community. Do you plan on having an easy front end for finding and installing such things? I know my way fairly well around linux so its not a huge deal if it does not.

4. What kind of music quality can I expect out of it? I have a Creative Zen Sleek mp3 player. Can anyone compare it to that, or even to an Ipod? Being a bass player, I expect a solid bottom end to my music. does it have the power to supply good strong and clear bass?

5. Does it have any covers to the SD card slots? I know thats a weird question. I would just like a little something more holding my SD cards in than just the standard spring loaded mechanism.

6. Is there a plan to include any organization and productivity apps in the default software load? If not, this would be an extension of question 3

Thanks in advance. I am greatly anticipating the Pandora and if all answers are acceptable, I will definitely be buying one
TC

The only current BB DAC which has similar specs to what's been quoted is the pcm1771. If that's the case, don't expect too much. It's a great choice for the pandora since it draws around 6mW, it just won't sound as good as the WM8758 in the 5G ipod, but will sound quite a bit better than the PSP.

Welcome.

Now, tell us about the Treo.

Yes the Pandora can be used closed, and power consumption should be minimal. The clock is meant to use the minimal power possible at all times I believe.

Currently as far as we are aware there are no covers for the SD cards.

No one is sure exactly what software will come with it at launch, and after that there will be lots of software ported by various devs, hopefully including productivity apps.

There are a few posts that cover a number of these topics, so you might want to search or use google with "site:www.gp32x" at the front.

oh no, another 'convinve me' 'should i replace' 'this or a laptop' thread.
its personal preference, and these answeres are all readily available. ill answer the questions though, just so i dont get flac:
1. yes. sleep mode is optional.
2. it can be changed for underclocking, not sure about OC
3. there will be a package manager
4. no one really knows but you should expect at least moderate quality.
5. no, not according to the parts diagram
6. some are, I believe, depending on what you consider a productivity app, but I am 100 percent positive that openoffice, koffice or whatever and similar will be available within a week of launch

1. Yes. All suspend / shutdown states are controlled through software. If you don't want the device to suspend when you close the lid, it won't.

2. Clock speed is adjustable on-the-fly through software.

3. That has always been the intention. Whether or not it will be ready at launch is up in the air.

4. The audio hardware is very solid. Nobody knows exactly how good it will sound yet, as sound drivers are still under development.

5. Not to the best of my knowledge. This is a mild concern to me as well, having once lost a miniSD card from a smartphone with an unprotected slot. Something like a slide lock that partially covered an inserted card would be nice, but we are well past the design phase. It may have been too small and fiddly to be easily added at any point.

6. Probably not. There will no doubt be something ported eventually, but there are too many other things that need to be done by launch that take precedence.

Its on the front page and the FAQ.

How much will it cost?
Around £199 (inc VAT), $330

Well, other sites aren't the official home of the Pandora :) It's pretty clear on the main page and this has been the price for some time. Interesting to see where/who is expecting to charge a markup on this though. Have you got any links?

sdedalus said:
The only current BB DAC which has similar specs to what's been quoted is the pcm1771. If that's the case, don't expect too much. It's a great choice for the pandora since it draws around 6mW, it just won't sound as good as the WM8758 in the 5G ipod, but will sound quite a bit better than the PSP.
:( oh well, at least it's going to be good

hey all im from the uk, i use arch linux aswell as others and i run a linux & opensource forum
i want to get the pandora as i like the idea of being able to play my favourite games on the go, but im just wondering. what ui does pandora use? what games does it ship with? how do i get/install extra games (quake 3 and other fps games)
also seing as it is linux i assume i can install other apps (such as messenger). also what de (fluxbox, openbox ect.) will the pandora use and what package manager/system will it use

thanks and i hope you can answer my questions

Cew27 said:
hey all im from the uk, i use arch linux aswell as others and i run a linux & opensource forum
i want to get the pandora as i like the idea of being able to play my favourite games on the go, but im just wondering. what ui does pandora use? what games does it ship with? how do i get/install extra games (quake 3 and other fps games)
also seing as it is linux i assume i can install other apps (such as messenger). also what de (fluxbox, openbox ect.) will the pandora use and what package manager/system will it use

thanks and i hope you can answer my questions

It seems that the mouth to mouth/click to click marketing is starting to work, now we get to tell people to use the search function many times a day! :p

all your questions have been answered extensively in other posts... failing that im sure there will be many more youtube videos once the device is really out

you are correct i have read these and understand now, but now all i wish to know is how easy will it be to run quake 3 on the pandora? and weather open arena will run on it

Back