Pandora Pandora Panic

Voting time!

What background style do you find most fit for Jumper? (there is another one with black stripes, not in a game, but in a preview)

These are just quick edits and tests, i have shedloads of material to work with, but i need a direction. :)

Edit: the bug at the end was a leftover from some changes in movement, fixed now

ive been a bit inspired by this project and have been thinking about adding something to it.

I want to do something that would use the particle system.
One idea i keep coming to is a "firefighting" type of game. The player would control a water cannon that will shoot water (in the form f particles) at building which may or may not be on fire (maybe fire can be particles too?)
The aim of the game would be to put out the fire as soon as possible, maybe before the buildings burn down or the player runs of water. Points based on the amount of damage prevented(?)

I dont think it would be too complicated of a game, but enough to use the pengin system and fit with the theme of the other mini-games.
Im open to all ideas, my main goal is to do something substancial, but not overwelming that it takes ages.

Gruso posted on May 26 2009 at 08:10 PM said:
Pickle: Sounds like it would make a great boss level. Let me know if you need assistance with sound.
well im more concerned with programming it first...but if gets that far sure :)

Here some concept art:

Last edited by a moderator:
ghehehe, the moonscape was actually one that i rejected at first, but since i was editing this week, i thought 's mess with it a little. It worked apparently :)

Pickle: Sounds like a great idea! And quite original as far as i know. Also, i'm certain PokeParadox will be delighted that his particle system is being put to good use :)

Im glad you guys like it.

Im thinking now the firetruck/cannon should go in the middle with building to the left and right to force more left to right movement.
Also to make it a bit more challenging only one action can take place, for example you can move the cannon or shoot water, but neither at the same time. I dont want the player to hose down left to right in big swoop.

The biggest challenge is going for me to dive into the pengin system. Maybe MarkoeZ you can set me up with an existing setup of one of your minigames?

Pickle posted on May 27 2009 at 06:30 PM said:
The biggest challenge is going for me to dive into the pengin system. Maybe MarkoeZ you can set me up with an existing setup of one of your minigames?
You might want to start with a minigame from someone that could actually program before this project ;) I just started coding without any previous knowledge, and the code is really messy because of that. But all the sources can be downloaded at the Wiki. You need the framework (including minigames) and PenjinBase. I usually advise people to look at the SpaceInvaders game. It is has few code, so easy cleaning for your own code, but still has the basic input, sprite handling, music, timers etc.

B.t.w. i have sent a PM with my msn/mail.

(naw)mcx: thanks! a bit flashy with the white i think, but maybe with a bit darker colours... hmmm

Pickle posted on May 27 2009 at 05:30 PM) [quote="MarkoeZ posted on May 27 2009 at 06:01 AM said:
Pickle: Sounds like a great idea! And quite original as far as i know. Also, i'm certain PokeParadox will be delighted that his particle system is being put to good use :"]
Im glad you guys like it.[/quote]Im thinking now the firetruck/cannon should go in the middle with building to the left and right to force more left to right movement.
Also to make it a bit more challenging only one action can take place, for example you can move the cannon or shoot water, but neither at the same time. I dont want the player to hose down left to right in big swoop.

Hola!
Buenos deseos de Argentina!
If you are using particles, look at Plander! :)
I'm actually worried you'll expose my bugs :p (actually that's a good thing if they are fixable...)

I will try to check back, but my access is limited here in Argentina. (I'm already having a great time here.) But please contact me by email, or here and I'll reply as soon as I can.

OK ive gotten a pretty good start, haven't compiled/run anything yet, but getting close to that point. Still rummaging through pengin for the best solutions for things.

I need graphics for sure, it seems the resolution is set at the pandora's 800x480? I will need:
1. Background - should be straight forward, goes behind everything (should include the base of the firetruck)
2. Fire - A tile sheet of 3 tile rows with fire of varying intensity big/med/small (Use as many frames as needed for animation)
3. Floors - A tile sheet of 4 tiles with floors of varying damage no damage/some damage/lot damage/destroyed
4. Cannon - My intention for this is to use a sprite I can rotate over the truck base.

Fire and Floors should be the same pixel dimensions. But im open to ideas on the size of things.

Sounds: (not as much priority as gfx)
Fire/Burn Sound
Water spray sound
Sizzle Sound?maybe? when water hits fire.
Building collapse/crumble sound (when a floor has been destroyed by fire.

Music - whatever (id love a PF tune)

Ok I need something to send out particles that will represent water. From the other games it appears using the emitter class is the way to go. Looks like I can specify the gravity, acceleration, angle(2dvector) and let them fly.
The issue then appears to be collisions. It appears the emitter particles are just for show and not for any interaction. Can we add a new member to check if an object has collided with any particles?

and let them fly.
The issue then appears to be collisions. It appears the emitter particles are just for show and not for any interaction. Can we add a new member to check if an object has collided with any particles?
Hmm, i actually never really used the particles for anything else then show either, it's really PokeParadoxes thing. But he has been using the particle mirror class to reflect them, that class can be linked to an emitter. It could probably be made into a new class, or adjusted to interact with the particles in different ways.

What he said.
The particle mirror just does a simple velocity inversion and you can set the decay of the horizontal and vertical collision.
Again this is used in Plander.

In Plander the ParticleMirror (couldn't think of a better name...) is part of the Platform class.

I hope that is enough to get started. :)

What he said.
The particle mirror just does a simple velocity inversion and you can set the decay of the horizontal and vertical collision.
Again this is used in Plander.
In Plander the ParticleMirror (couldn't think of a better name...) is part of the Platform class.

I hope that is enough to get started. :)

Looking at ParticleMirror I dont know if this is what I have in mind.
I thought by using the emitter class I can create particles. These particles then move until their lifetime expires.
The emitter class keeps track of all of the positions of the particles, otherwise how could it move them and render them. My idea to add one member function to the emitter class that goes through each particle location and compares it to a location (SDL_Rect). If the particle has collided then it is terminated. The member function would return the number of particles that have collided.
Here a psuedo code idea:
CODE
ParticleCollide( SDL_Rect box )
{
number = 0
For Each Particle
if particle collides box then
delete particle
number++
endif
Next
return number
}

That makes sense too.
I wrote the ParticleMirror since at the time it made sense to me to put it inside the platforms that would interect with particles.

You could also make changes to this class if you like and make it a general purpose particle collidable object (that links to several emitters).

Hey!
I've seen the demo some time ago...
There's a game called bad vista, where you throw a windows logo into the recycle bin....
There is a mistake though... the logo you throw in is the XP logo ;p Vista's one is with the buble around it! ;)

Speaking of bubbles, how about a game, where you shoot an arow to pop the vista bubble... Then maybe do something else... or just watch the window breaks hitting the pavement, and get eaten by viruses ;p I'm not a programmer, so that's why I come here, to sell the idea to you ;) Have a niche day ;)

Back