Pandora Pandora Panic

DasFool posted on May 16 2009 at 01:43 AM said:
I'm pretty sure you can read all of the source files with a simple text editor. I'd start by looking over one of the simple games and backtracking it's function calls, etc.
Yup. I'd suggest starting with SpaceInvaders. It has sprite handling, movement, timers, collision detection, all pretty basic, but not too much code to get lost in.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing, how long are these games supposed to last? If we're going for Warioware-style, wouldn't they be kind of short?

Aethix posted on May 18 2009 at 01:20 AM said:
One more thing, how long are these games supposed to last? If we're going for Warioware-style, wouldn't they be kind of short?
Currently the games last between 5 seconds (balldrop) and +/- one minute (pong). So anything between that would be ok. Although we might make the longer ones boss games, that appear only once every 10 levels for instance. I have been thinking about a pacman game as well, just never came to it, so im curious what you are going to make :)

edit: Hey! i'm in the hardcore group :D

Hmm, I guess I could make Pac-Rat a boss... it'll be interesting getting the time down, though.

Will there be increasing levels of difficulty, like the three in Warioware? I have an interesting set-up for the hardest level, if there will be one.

Also, will copyrights be an issue? I could put in a quick, Kirby-themed microgame I've had floating around in my head for some time.

Aethix posted on May 18 2009 at 01:38 AM said:
Hmm, I guess I could make Pac-Rat a boss... it'll be interesting getting the time down, though.

Will there be increasing levels of difficulty, like the three in Warioware? I have an interesting set-up for the hardest level, if there will be one.

Also, will copyrights be an issue? I could put in a quick, Kirby-themed microgame I've had floating around in my head for some time.
Yep, most games increase in difficulty although there is not really a standard yet. Since the games set their difficulty according to the levels played, it's tunable. Right now it's hand adjusted to make it feel right, but maybe we could decide on a standard. dunno...

About the copyrights: since we (PokeParadox mostly) are trying to get it ready for the official release of the Pandora, i think copyrighted graphics could be a problem. All the other games have original art as well. BUT there are a lot of good artists reading this, so if you need kirby-ish graphics, someone might do some art for you (a working tech demo help a lot ; )

Aethix posted on May 18 2009 at 12:38 AM said:

We need a couple more "boss" levels before a boss level mechanic can really be setup. All minigames are treated the same currently, since only Pong takes any real time to beat (sometimes.)

There is an increasing difficulty mechanic, which is just the number of stages passed.

We want this to be an original game throughout, so no IP sprites are allowed. Although something that is similar is permissible since we all know there are no new ideas, generally speaking.

PS PandoraPanic! is at least running on Pandora HW this second. A big thanks to Pickle for intercontinentally debugging this with me!

Okay, well I was referring to the characters specifically; Kirby and Zero aren't that difficult to draw, so the sprites will be original.

Basically, the game will be based on the Zero battle at the end of Kirby's Dream Land 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm0x2sfowyM

Specifically the time between 1:30 and 3:00

The player uses the stylus to cut Zero and shoot the blood at Kirby. The game got rated "E", so I'm assuming this isn't above any kind of violence threshold.

Aethix posted on May 18 2009 at 02:40 AM said:
Okay, well I was referring to the characters specifically; Kirby and Zero aren't that difficult to draw, so the sprites will be original.

Basically, the game will be based on the Zero battle at the end of Kirby's Dream Land 3.

The player uses the stylus to cut Zero and shoot the blood at Kirby. The game got rated "E", so I'm assuming this isn't above any kind of violence threshold.
Looks pretty funny :) and it's no more violent than the punchwrestler game so that should not be an issue. But it looks pretty fast paced for the touchscreen, not sure if i want to hit my screen that fast. Especially if someone else is playing it on my pandora and gets excited :unsure:

Aethix posted on May 18 2009 at 01:40 AM said:

Noooo not overstepping any kind of violence threshold.
I'm a bit worried about your sprites, they should not BE Kirby even if hand-drawn. We've done well keeping this project original with content created by the GP32Xers. It needs to stay that way :)
I'm not sure how to clarify my meaning further than that.
I do like the gameplay mechanic as a mini/boss game idea though.

Oh well. The whole thing was meant to be sort of a parody, but I'll think of something more original. The only other idea I have at the moment is using the touch screen to close dialogue boxes with various error messages.

Examples, but I will think of more original ideas.

Previouserror.gif
or
Windowshasissues.png

I also had an idea about throwing the red ring of death into Mt. Doom, but that seems to be too much of a repeat of Bad Vista.

Gruso posted on May 18 2009 at 04:43 AM) This is great news. : said:
A milestone even. Congrats are in order!
Yeah, glad we finally found the problem, how can you have a pandora game and not have it run on the pandora ;-)

To everyone that contributed to this it looks great. If the controls adding by poke work out I may just do some vid's for you guys.

To everyone that contributed to this it looks great. If the controls adding by poke work out I may just do some vid's for you guys.
Woohooo!! it runs!!!

@ Pickle: If you have a couple of minutes to spare, i was wondering, since the d-pad works, could you perhaps test the left/right movement of PanJoust? There were some speed issues on slower machines and i am VERY curious how it behaves on the Pandora. And thanks a million for your efforts so far :)

Cheers!!

I have updated the Wiki with Ubuntu x64 and Pandora builds of PandoraPanic!
PenjinBase and the PandoraPanic! Framework bundles have also been updated.

The Pandora build should work this time around thanks to Pickle for helping to debug it.
I've changed some of the default mapping of the Pandora build:
AButton - K key
BButton - J
XButton - I
YButton - M

This is just a placeholder until the SDL problem for gaming buttons is resolved...
Controls can be reconfigured from defaults using a cmf script. there are examples in the scripts directory.

I also have made a recent screenshot of my minigame :p

There have been quite a few changes so I'm just going to paste the changelog since the last released snapshot builds:
CODE
18 May 2009
released version 0.7.424 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Fixed: Pandora Sound init bug
-New: Sound (de)init only occurs in Sound class and NOT Music class.
-New: Resolution Defaults for Engine for PLATFORM_PANDORA
-Added: Better default placeholder mapping for Pandora
-Fixed: Music and Sound classes return PENJIN_ERRORS instead of ints

16 May 2009
released version 0.7.406 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Added: Stars in background of Plander

13 May 2009
released version 0.6.389 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Fixed: problem with commandline infinite loop

07 May 2009
released version 0.6.376 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Removed: Walls in Plander
-Added: Screen Warpping for Rocket in Plander
-Added: Preview update when difficulty level is changed.
-Added: Difficulties for Plander

07 May 2009
released version 0.6.345 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Fixed: Major leak which surfaced with the new Pixel class.

02 May 2009
released version 0.5.272 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Fixed: Flickering on level select for PanicAttack and SpaceInvaders
-Added: 2D classes for Vector2df, 2di and 2dx
-Added: Vector3df type
-Added: new forced float types for when compiling in PENJIN_FIXED mode FLOAT and CRFLOAT

01 May 2009
released version 0.5.211 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Added: Vector2df class, expands on TRenki's functions and allows C++ style access

01 May 2009
released version 0.4.171 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Cleaned: many warnings in code
-New: Moved location of BaseClasses to PenjinBase instead of Penjin3D Base
-Added: Pixel class
-Updated: Particles to use Pixel class.
-Fixed: Pixel class allows particles to be clipped, so positioning hack is uneeded.

29 April 2009
released version 0.4.131 of PandoraPanic

Change log:
-Added: fuel meter to Plander
-Removed: Press Select to win in Plander
-Added: failure if you land outside of the landing zone with no fuel

Ok boys and girls, I played (or at least tried with my trusty psx1 pad in hand) almost every game. I love this, you guys did a great job. Everything is running fine as far as I can tell.
The pandora panic title when its rotating and zooming in and out does seem pause/slow down.
MarkoeZ: the joust game seemed fine

(credits: the thanking chip for forum posts, lol)

PokeParadox posted on May 15 2009 at 01:10 PM said:
Dragons_Slayer posted on May 15 2009 at 10:05 AM said:
Just tried to play the latest win32 build, I tried the Debug build but it crashed my pc with a BSOD, I had that too with some other executables from Penjin but when I build the source myself it just works.... I didn't try to run the release build yet.
Woah... you shouldn't be getting blue screens and you're the only one that is so far. Penjin/PandoraPanic! doesn't do anything on a low enough level that would cause BSoD... weird...
I did build the latest exes in VirtualBox running XP but that shouldn't mean anything, it's still compiling valid x86 code...
Just tried the Pandora Panic Release build and that one is working just fine, I didn't try the other one again, don't want to. Now let's play :D

EDIT: Just played it, a lot of new games since I last played it, it's just awesome! Saw some minor glitches with the pictures in the SelectionBox.

I'm about to update the W32 builds right now. Had to setup VirtualBox again... Also these builds are going to be the last individually packaged builds.
In future I'm going to upload the data separate to the EXEs to prevent redundancy and time uploading...
our game got big!

EDIT: W32 build is also up to date now.

Back