Pandora Pandora Panic

Pickle posted on May 19 2009 at 05:06 AM said:
MarkoeZ: the joust game seemed fine
(credits: the thanking chip for forum posts, lol)

Wooohooo!!!! great to hear! now i can use the controls code for jumper as well, that is still a bit glitchy. And thanks again for testing!

And yeah, i added Chip, thought it was only fair since his posts are in the game, and some are just hilarious ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox posted on May 18 2009 at 03:33 AM said:
OK I'll make it clear here: We're running on Hardware now! It was in a subnote in a earlier reply but I think it merits a little celebration. :lol:
Hooray! What fabulous news! Thanks to PokeParadox and Pickle for herculean efforts at debugging! I can't wait to see our handiwork on my own Pandora. I wonder if we'll get shipped in the firmware?

I doubt we'll get on the FW. Our game is quite big now 32MB or so. Also think it's been stated that the NAND of Pandora is strictly to be used for firmware and standard apps.
We should be able to be on the bundled disc.

I just realised that in the Pandora build I forgot to set a default map for the nubs (partially since I don't know which axis it uses for what) I've fixed this locally(with what would be a logical guess of which axis is which) so hopefully I can put updated builds online before I go away on Tuesday! (I hope we can see a video of it before then)

Yeah, I have seen that before, but I'm running arch linux, 32bit version. And the only linux build is for ubuntu (probably also runs on other distros) 64bit AND a win32 version as alternative (//Edit: Link works again, downloading and testing under wine).
And honestly, I can't really be arsed to recompile this thing on my own, I don't really need Code::Blocks, nor the SDL Headers.

PokeParadox posted on May 22 2009 at 11:31 AM said:
Is there an easy way to compile a 32b binary from a 64b os?
I assume it work the same way cross compiling if you had to do it from 64 bit os.
You could run a 32 bit VM and compile it.

Pickle posted on May 22 2009 at 05:57 PM said:
I assume it work the same way cross compiling if you had to do it from 64 bit os.
...or just add the -m32 flag to gcc, for us who are lazy :p
Yes, 64-bit gcc has a "32-bit cross-compiler" built-in.

dflemstr posted on May 22 2009 at 12:43 PM said:
Pickle posted on May 22 2009 at 05:57 PM said:
...or just add the -m32 flag to gcc, for us who are lazy :p
Yes, 64-bit gcc has a "32-bit cross-compiler" built-in.
oh thats good to know

Amazing. It's running on real hardware. Great work guys. :D

(I still need to find the time to code my little minigame...)

Wow. Just, wow.

This looks absolutely fantastic- well done to all involved!

Good to hear positive feedback! Here, on youtube and the unofficial blog. Many people worked together to make this a game worth playing, coders, graphic artists, musicians, and ofcourse the play testers and critics ;) just amazing how a community can get something together.

Since it's running on hardware now, i felt the need to do some updates on Jumper to get it ready for release. Movement/collision is now tuned, more maps added according to level difficulty, and i completely ditched the realistic backgrounds and messed around with some frames from my vj stuff for some darker/abstract/techie colours and forms. The images by Gruso are great, but i think this fits the game better (i think anybody is free to use the images as long as he gets the credits for them : ) Build/video update about it coming soon.

Yep, they're free to use. :) Personally I think they should be made more pixely if they're going to be used as backgrounds. As long as JayFoxRox likes it. :p

Have to say, it was funny watching Pickle's PP video at work, and seeing the view outside my window displayed on a Pandora screen.

Gruso posted on May 24 2009 at 02:46 AM) Yep at they're free to use. : said:
Personally I think they should be made more pixely if they're going to be used as backgrounds. As long as JayFoxRox likes it. :p

Have to say, it was funny watching Pickle's PP video at work, and seeing the view outside my window displayed on a Pandora screen.
They might not be good backgrounds for PandoraPanic! as they are. But i could easily take a 64x64 piece of one of the pipes that fits in those dimensions to use for a sprite. And i could imagine other uses for the pictures as well. The stairs can be copied etc. I also think that industrial site has loads more interesting pictures in store *hint hint* ;P

Cheers!

Edit: Implemented in jumper, changing backgrounds, 2 tiletypes per direction: in sync(for platform thingiess), and completely random

Note: the basic level editor for jumper is still available via a key combo ;)

Gruso posted on May 25 2009 at 04:11 AM said:
I didn't know about the level editor! Nice addition.
i was about to delete that ;) not suited for official release, but it's fairly usable once you know the controls. more stable version here locally, so if someone would really like to make some levels, just let me know or wait till the next build

But since this is the PP thread and you are all enormous fans or contributors ; ) if you are in the selectionbox menu with all the previews, on a general pc press W and A simultaniously. That will trigger the editor. Enter is save, file is testing.map, file used in scripts

Back