Pandora Pandora Panic

Id like a mini game with a mini game, with a ball and a cube. You can roate cube with L and R to let the ball roll out of it ...

ballandcube.jpg

Red = Ball
Black = cube
Gray= scenery.

It would be great if that could be made!

EDIT:

In harder lvls triangles/ cubes could be used instead of balls, Limited rotating or diferent shape cube.

Thanks for the idea,Mithrildor.

This is a just a status update again... I will hopefully have something worth updating either Tuesday/Wednesday since those are my days off this next coming week.

Penjin/PandoraPanic-wise the main thing that will be apparent in the next update is that, that thanks to Alex, rotations and scaling are now done correctly, even for AnimatedSprites. I'm playing about with things for the titlescreen related to this. I want to tidy up the score screen and credits but those are not as urgent, but still need doing at some point.

I've updated the minigames that have had updates, so everything should be the most current version in the following update.

The Project Infinity Wiki should be working properly again... some permissions got a little messed up when my host upgraded the server it was on. Let me know if something seems broken there though.

Penjin: Again I would like to hear any issues or restrictions you think need dealing with Penjin itself. I really appreciate this input as it helps me improve Penjin and find bugs which shouldn't be there.

Lastly I could probably do with a helping hand with this engine stuff, partly because I want to make an actual minigame for this project too, and also because a different perspective can spot other bugs that I would miss... Finally, since the criticism of no documentation, I remembered Doxygen... there's a lot of comments that could do with changing to the correct format so that the docs can be genned...
So please let me know if you are interested in helping me out. :)

I know it's a bit "much" to ask, but one thing that would be GREAT would be the ability to make minigames "modules" (.o files or something? I don't know too much about complex programming stuff yet) that could be put into a "minigames" folder (and possibly organized into categories). This would allow for people to add minigames to PandoraPanic without needing a recompilation - a very nice feature. Even better would be the ability to distribute "packs" of minigames and the like without the need for a full game update.

Just thinking out loud. (Still trying to find time to code my minigame :( Only three more weeks till the end of the semester and free time...)

I'm trying to think of how to do that... basically every minigame would have to be written as a plugin and the engine would have to be written to accept dlls... it's something to look into, but the programming style would have to change...

I'm not 100% sure you can get rid of recompilation with this method though. I think it would be more beneficial to get LUA or similar running within Penjin so that the games could be coded as scripts. All of this is also why I need another set of hands to help out.

Or you could keep interest up by having monthly builds with the latest submissions. :) It could become one of the most popular Pandora titles in this format, by keeping people interested and aware that there are official periodical updates every x'th of the month.

That would also work. The main issue that I have with the current setup is the (seeming) need to add some constants and change a few variables whenever you add a minigame. (Having looked through the source and tried a bit of coding myself, you need to add some stuff and change the number of minigames that get loaded, IIRC. It's you're code, I'm sure you know what's involved.) I think the main thing that REALLY should get done in that area is getting rid of at least some of that code. There are too many variables that you have to change, at least determine the number of minigames by the length of the array or something. I had too much trouble simply getting PandoraPanic to run the minigame test that I had developed; being a fairly experienced programmer, it shouldn't have been that difficult.

I'm not trying to bitch and moan about problems (as I really love what you're doing here), just throwing in some constructive criticism. This could really be a great release title, and, due to the modular nature, it could also be a great way for people interested in learning programming to practice and write some simple but meaningful code.

Vorporeal said:
That would also work. The main issue that I have with the current setup is the (seeming) need to add some constants and change a few variables whenever you add a minigame.
Oh I get that, absolutely... there must be a better way.
I haven't thought of anything though, and that's the problem. Every way I can think of would require you edit something.
If you take a data-driven approach you would have a minigame.cfg file, listing all the minigame states, etc.

The only thing I can think of, would only eliminate the need to edit the minigame number(which is actually quite useful since you can avoid the game loading minigames which aren't "ready"), is to have a global vector of minigames/minigame titles... I don't know if I like this idea much, since aside from getting a size() function, it doesn't add much and doesn't really remove any of the editing since you still have to build up the vector with the info at some stage.

I honestly just put things together in a quick fashion, that I could see would work... if we can put our heads together though, I'd be happy to know of a better way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that in Java, statically defined constants in a class are accessible even without an instance of that class existing. Maybe there can be a constant that has to be defined in each minigame that determines whether the minigame is ready to be played?

That way, PandoraPanic could query all of the minigames when it's loading, and populate the vector by adding in all of the ones not marked as testing.

Not sure if this is possible (as I don't know C++), but it _should_ work...

I know I'm late to this but if you need an additional artist, I can help. My gallery is here. I do different kinds of cartooning and countless sketches that I never submit. I'd be happy to help, just let me know if you want a background, some characters for a mini game, etc.

I'm a bit late dropping in here, too, but I just uploaded some random sound effects and a NES-style sprite-character to the Pandora File Archive, just in case they're of any use to anybody. :p They're in the "Misc" section.

(If I'd finished them sooner, I would have posted sooner. :lol: )

TheBrainSquid said:
I know I'm late to this but if you need an additional artist, I can help. My gallery is here. I do different kinds of cartooning and countless sketches that I never submit. I'd be happy to help, just let me know if you want a background, some characters for a mini game, etc.

Prometheus said:
I'm a bit late dropping in here, too, but I just uploaded some random sound effects and a NES-style sprite-character to the Pandora File Archive, just in case they're of any use to anybody. :p They're in the "Misc" section.

(If I'd finished them sooner, I would have posted sooner. :lol: )
Thanks guys! Please add yourself to the Official PandoraPanic! wikipage Volunteers section. :)

I've added myself. Thankyou very much for letting me do so. :)

TheBrainSquid should come before me in the list, though. (But I'll leave that to TheBrainSquid. :p)

For some reason I'm not getting a confirmation email for the registration on that site. Probably because I use Yahoo *fist shakage*.

Can someone else please add me to it? And I don't care if I'm before or after Prometheus, doesn't matter to me ^^.

EDIT

Never mind, PokeParadox just helped me out.

Hahaha, just found out in the wiki that my double nub thingy WAS included in the framework, thought it was left out because it was not up to par. Been kinda busy so did not follow development that closely :rolleyes:

Better improve it before it hit's the world then ;)

Cheers!!

PokeParadox said:
It's included, it's just not accessible, because it really needs the analogue controls to pass it!
Aaaah, that explains. going to update it this week anyway, i finally have some more time for doing fun things :)

Hello All,

I made a couple of music tracks. It's not that the existing ones were bad or anything, but I think they could have been a bit more "videogamey" sounding. Anyhow, I appreciate any feedback from the team, and I hope you can use these. The first one is a title loop. The others are short win and loss clips.

http://www.obstacledelusions.com/PandoraPa...Panic_Title.ogg
http://www.obstacledelusions.com/PandoraPa...raPanic_Win.ogg
http://www.obstacledelusions.com/PandoraPa...aPanic_Loss.ogg

Back