Pandora Pandora Panic

todd said:
Thanks for the update! It's fun to see my game in the mix!

I have an idea for another game I think would be fun to write. But it, like others mentioned above, it would be intended for the controls on the pandora (shoulder buttons, joysticks, etc.). Is there any chance you could create temporary links in the toolkit for all the hardware buttons, mapping them to keyboard strokes temporarily? That way when the device is released, a few changes to the framework would result instantly in numerous Pandora-hardware-enabled games. This may be harder with the nubs. But at least we could cover the A/B/X/Y and whatever that thing is on the left side of the keyboard? And definitely the shoulder buttons!

(Yes, I realized I ought to go figure out how to do this myself and contribute the code. Sorry.)

In other news, I copied my "Getting Started" tutorial up to your wiki. Might I suggest you get cameleon to change his first post to refer to the wiki at the very top and just post updates there (on the wiki)? Then you could just make an announcement in this thread and link back to the wiki page.

Any chance of a Mercurial repository from which we could just pull changes? :)
No problem, the deal is: You make a game, I'll add it to the framework! B)

Hmmm It may be worth implementing a Pre-Pandora PandoraJoy class... I really wanted to hold off until we know what we are talking about but I guess it does make sense to try and provide something.

If you want to figure out a class yourself a good place to look is the GP2XJoy class. You could add nubs axes too if you want and use a USB joystick to fill in for the Pandora controls in the meantime.

A SVN repo exists, but atm it's private, for Pirate Games... I keep meaning to ask if we can get parts of it public... since Penjin3D was always intended to be open.
More news as it happens ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning to make a rhythm-based game, but I started cutting features. Eventually, it became more of a reflex game. I could easily adapt it to become the rhythm game though. Anyway, here's Reflex. Not a particularly creative title, I know...

http://www.filedropper.com/reflexminigame

It's really basic right now and easy to beat, it's easy to change the time limits and stuff though.

Oh and I just realized there's an old file in the music folder you can just delete. I don't think it's worth uploading again just so that file's not there.

So, feedback would be nice. And maybe someone could come up with better graphics/sound effects.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I didn't know what files to include in the upload. I edited the Pandora Panic framework code to include Reflex, but didn't add that to the archive because I figured it's very straightforward to do it. Hm.

Looks like you got it right, the correct files are in the archive, so I can quickly add this and it will be in the next Framework update.

One little note though, please use pngs rather than bmps. :)

I have your game downloaded and I'll try it later today, thanks, oclbdk.

Hey,

Rooster made a great background tune for the math game. I have it playing and all, but do i need to stop it on exit? because since i added the music i have some crashes on exit. Not all the time but i cannot find a pattern either, it seems random.

Edit: btw i think this is the first pandora (game) community software project that gas gone beyond: idea - discussion - arguing -disagreeing - dieing ;) It's nice to see something like this getting bigger, and being a (small) part of it feels good too :)

Edit 2: Btw, another noob question: should the code below not get rid of the 2nd zero? i made it a number between 0 and 8 for now and added one, but that's not really a good way i think.

CODE

number2 = rand()%10; //
while (number2 == 0)
{
number2 = rand()%10;
}

MarkoeZ said:
Edit: btw i think this is the first pandora (game) community software project that gas gone beyond: idea - discussion - arguing -disagreeing - dieing ;) It's nice to see something like this getting bigger, and being a (small) part of it feels good too :)
Agreed. I haven't watched enough to notice other projects dying. But I have no doubt that's what happens.

I think part of what makes this different is that there was code involved from the start: a framework, an example, and instructions on how to set it up. I was able to go from interested to coding in about half an hour -- and that without any prior C++ experience!

I think what also helped is Pokeparadox's explicit invitation for noob questions: I didn't give up in despair because I was invited to post my issues and I received timely, encouraging, helpful responses.

On a similar note, I was thinking today about how we're (I'm) not limited to using Penjin3D for PandoraPanic. It (or something similar) could make a framework for nearly any game. I still haven't looked at the framework too closely. But it provides:
  • a menu
  • level transitions
  • score-keeping
  • leaderboard
  • possibly other stuff I haven't noticed yet
None of that stuff should be too hard, but it's just junky-junk that can slow you down on your way to actually writing your unique game logic. It could be fun to extend this out & polish it up (better, more pedestrian fonts!) to facilitate further easy game development on the Pandora. Which may be (at least in part) Pokeparadox's original intent with it.

MarkoeZ said:
Edit 2: Btw, another noob question: should the code below not get rid of the 2nd zero? i made it a number between 0 and 8 for now and added one, but that's not really a good way i think.
Actually, I think that is a fairly standard way to get positive integers out of a random number generator. If you can't pass it a parameter to make it begin at 1, then you just add 1 to the result. I think that would be exactly right.

Oooh... I looked it up to make sure I understood how to use the command. And I found this:

A typical way to generate pseudo-random numbers in a determined range using rand is to use the modulo of the returned value by the range span and add the initial value of the range:

( value % 100 ) is in the range 0 to 99
( value % 100 + 1 ) is in the range 1 to 100
( value % 30 + 1985 ) is in the range 1985 to 2014

source

So yes, you're exactly right. I would write it:
CODE

number2 = rand() % 9 + 1;

No messing around with if's, etc.

--Todd

todd said:
* long text here, see post ;)

--Todd
Aah thanks, always nice to be right :)

still no correct exiting with music though, i tested by deleting just these 3 lines and it went smooth again:

CODE

backsound.loadMusic("music/DistractedMath/RickKelsall_Nervous.mp3");
backsound.setLooping(false);
backsound.play();

and this in the header ofc: Music backsound;

Cheers!

Poke,

I'm starting to toy with a new game. I found that pausing the timer was broken -- missing an exclamation point. You mentioned some similar problem earlier where you had to remove the exclamation point. So I'm not sure. But anyway, I added one in as follows in order to get the timer to pause appropriately (by my own personal definition of "appropriately"! :) ):

In Timer.h
CODE

void pause()
{
//If the timer is running and isn't already paused
if(is_Started && !is_Paused)
{
//Pause the timer
is_Paused = true;

//Calculate the paused ticks
pausedTicks = SDL_GetTicks() - startTicks;
}
}

Is this how it should be?

Thanks,

--Todd

MarkoeZ said:
Rooster made a great background tune for the math game. I have it playing and all, but do i need to stop it on exit? because since i added the music i have some crashes on exit. Not all the time but i cannot find a pattern either, it seems random.

CODE

number2 = rand()%10; //
while (number2 == 0)
{
number2 = rand()%10;
}
you can do in the class de constructor:
CODE

StateName::~StateName()
{
if(music.isPlaying())
music.stop();
}

I'm also very pleased by the response, and especially pleased to see the interest in this project continue. :)

Your code there will get rid of a zero value, but it's not very efficient. Again I provide a Random object.
CODE

#include "Random.h"

void StateName::function()
{
Random rand;
rand.setLimits(1,9); // good if you have a long string of random numbers needed in the same range.

int num = rand.nextInt();

/// OR

rand.nextInt(1,9); // good if you only need one random number (only recently added)
Random().nextInt(1,9); // same as above but the Random object is temporary
}

todd said:
I think part of what makes this different is that there was code involved from the start: a framework, an example, and instructions on how to set it up. I was able to go from interested to coding in about half an hour -- and that without any prior C++ experience!

I think what also helped is Pokeparadox's explicit invitation for noob questions: I didn't give up in despair because I was invited to post my issues and I received timely, encouraging, helpful responses.

On a similar note, I was thinking today about how we're (I'm) not limited to using Penjin3D for PandoraPanic. It (or something similar) could make a framework for nearly any game. I still haven't looked at the framework too closely. But it provides:
  • a menu
  • level transitions
  • score-keeping
  • leaderboard
  • possibly other stuff I haven't noticed yet
None of that stuff should be too hard, but it's just junky-junk that can slow you down on your way to actually writing your unique game logic. It could be fun to extend this out & polish it up (better, more pedestrian fonts!) to facilitate further easy game development on the Pandora. Which may be (at least in part) Pokeparadox's original intent with it.
CODE

number2 = rand() % 9 + 1;

I've been developing Penjin in my spare time for a number of years while at uni and now I've left. The goal has always been to make a multiplatform engine in c++ and try and keep it relatively simple to use, while providing useful features. It's very reassuring to hear that someone with no c++ experience can be brave enough and succeed in using my framework.

I of course welcome these questions, because we learn by asking questions. Generally I'll answer pointing to a class I've already developed, but all the code is there if you need to see what's happening under the hood. :) Also I must add, that I do want this project to succeed, and to do that the community should be involved... it would be a poor community project otherwise.

Absolutely. Please use the framework for whatever you want to do. The engine itself is free for any use as long as you don't claim you wrote it from scratch and try to sell it to a company or something(The engine itself, I mean... they probably have their own code that's way better regardless :lol:). I'm in talks with Karurosu(Pirate Games web coder) to see if we can get some sort of public access to the SVN going. There are some projects on there that we don't want public, but if we can sort this, then I'd be glad to accept any improvements to the Penjin framework code, especially the 3D aspects of the code :rolleyes:.
The only thing I ask is that if you make a game with Penjin3D, you give a nod to Pirate Games and Penjin3D (Anyone want to make a logo? :D)

That code there is pretty much what is going on under the hood of my Random class.
MarkoeZ said:
todd said:
* long text here, see post ;)

--Todd
still no correct exiting with music though, i tested by deleting just these 3 lines and it went smooth again:

See above :)

todd said:
Is this how it should be?
Are you sure you have the latest download of the framework? Because yes the exclamation is supposed to be there and that's exactly what was needed to fix the Timer class pausing bug. I already fixed it and it should be part of the currently uploaded framework :)

Just a quick question. In terms of these mini-games, are we looking for quantity or quality? I have plenty of ideas for quick and easy to code games. Should I create those, or should I work on features for Reflex, i.e. better graphics/sound effects, respecting the level of the game, etc?

oclbdk said:
Just a quick question. In terms of these mini-games, are we looking for quantity or quality? I have plenty of ideas for quick and easy to code games. Should I create those, or should I work on features for Reflex, i.e. better graphics/sound effects, respecting the level of the game, etc?
hmmmm it's tricky... I would rather say we want function rather than form. If the game works as it is supposed to, it is good enough to be included. Even if it is basic Sprites, as long as the mini game is short and fun and functional, it's what we want. You can appeal for better artwork and sounds which can be added later.

I hope that answers your question.
Just a note... I have had the most draining shift at work so no updates yet... I have the next 2 days of however, so hopefully something useful will appear.

Sorry I didn't post these sooner, but here are the graphics files from my example menu:
Pandora Panic graphics

I've used 32-bit PNGs (8-bit alpha) which I hope is acceptable.

The background gradient is transparent in the centre fading to black, so you can set the background colour to anything you like (or change it on the fly, as suggested earlier). The stars are faint transparent white, so they should look okay over any colour as well.

The font used in the logo and the mockups is Foo (I got it from DaFont.com). It's free to use, though I think the author wants to be contacted if the font file is included in software. I'm sure he'll allow it, but you could always use a different font for dynamic text.

According to the site, we are good to just use the fonts...
http://www.larabiefonts.com/help.html

Anyway thanks for posting the graphics, I'll get them used ASAP :D
Thanks for contributing Kagato!

EDIT: so far so good apart from one thing. The Star particle isn't displaying properly :(
EDIT2: We're approaching the mockup now! It's worth noting that the bg colour changes with the beat of the title music! :lol:
EDIT3: Just a quick video capture... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdtRbm1bdAA
pandorapanictitle.png

hi!
here is a draft of my first mini game ;
doesn't handle difficulty and isn't as rich as I would,
but it's not too bad, take it as an integration test ;)

punch him before he does !

planning to upgrade / do some more after some
more framework questions ( tomorrow ).

source:
source

pics:
pics

I have not had the time to try to make an minigame yet, but it's nice to see that the project makes progress all the time, the new menu looks really good! But I think the blinking change of background color was a bit annoying, is it possible to do a smooth transition between the colors? also I think it would be good to use the same font as in the menu for the other text as well (loading... stage:, lives: etc..).

dentrado said:
I have not had the time to try to make an minigame yet, but it's nice to see that the project makes progress all the time, the new menu looks really good! But I think the blinking change of background color was a bit annoying, is it possible to do a smooth transition between the colors? also I think it would be good to use the same font as in the menu for the other text as well (loading... stage:, lives: etc..).
Kagato is to thank for the menu really... I'm just trying to get it looking like the mockup with the images he has sent me! I'm a bit sad that you don't like the blinking... I thought it fitted with the music... (although the music didn't capture for the video :S) I could add smooth transitions between colours if that is considered the way to go... I personally like the disco light feel.

Changing the font etc, is just because I've been at work and haven't done it yet. Kagato has sent me all the resources, so just give me a bit more time and the rest of the interface will be all nice looking.

@Sverm: I'll have to see if there is anything that would work well for the credits screen :)

@trabitboy: I have work tomorrow, but I'll try to look at your game, include it tomorrow beforehand. :)

rooster said:
Just done a 2 minute 1970s sounding tune called "Mojo" if you want to use it in the game somewhere.

Download here

Thanks! I'm thinking credits or high scores. :) Any chance of an looping ogg version... actually it might be nice to try and time the credits to this and fit everything in the duration of the music... hmmm.
we'll have to use it somewhere, it's sounds funky! :lol:

PokeParadox said:
Thanks! I'm thinking credits or high scores. :) Any chance of an looping ogg version... actually it might be nice to try and time the credits to this and fit everything in the duration of the music... hmmm.
we'll have to use it somewhere, it's sounds funky! :lol:
Thanks, I've done a better mixed/slightly updated version of it in ogg format here

I will do an extended version if you think the credits will last longer than 2 minutes :)

Back