Pandora Pandora Panic

PokeParadox said:
I'm a bit sad that you don't like the blinking... I thought it fitted with the music... (although the music didn't capture for the video :S) I could add smooth transitions between colours if that is considered the way to go... I personally like the disco light feel.

Well, you may be right, I haven't seen it with music, I actually thought after I wrote my last post that maybe if the blinking was in pace to music it would be cool, but as I didn't hear any music in the video I found it a bit annoying.

Changing the font etc, is just because I've been at work and haven't done it yet. Kagato has sent me all the resources, so just give me a bit more time and the rest of the interface will be all nice looking.

Ok, good :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey if Anybody needs a music maker or animator , artist , concept artist or whatever. Im pretty good at all of this stuff.
I could make some catchy chiptunes.
Or some Weird music.
Im the guy behind the Pandora retro animation.
If you check out the links on my Newgrounds profile.
You'll find some drawings AND music. ( but mostly old stuff. )
I got alot of experience in pixel animation ( from simple to complex )
Alot of experience at cartoon animation too.
Digital art AND Hand drawn stuff.

So tell me if any of you is interested , always wanted to make games. Or be a concept artist/artist for one.

hells_dark said:
Maybe the devs who have done a complete game, but with basic graphics, may ask to others to improve them.
Well anyone who want's to make some new gfx or sound for my games are welcome. Especially Space Invaders could need a loving hand.

Unfortunately time doesn't allow me to make any more games right now, but it's good to see that many others are contributing now.

rooster said:
I will do an extended version if you think the credits will last longer than 2 minutes :)
Great, I think 2 minutes will be feasible... We'll see what happens, of course. Thanks for the Ogg version!

dentrado said:
Well, you may be right, I haven't seen it with music, I actually thought after I wrote my last post that maybe if the blinking was in pace to music it would be cool, but as I didn't hear any music in the video I found it a bit annoying.
I've added in the smooth transitions between colours... and it looks nice... it's easy to change, but now I don't know which I prefer.

Mr.Gonzo said:
So tell me if any of you is interested , always wanted to make games. Or be a concept artist/artist for one.
I loved your retro Pandora intro! I'd love to see something like this in the game somewhere!

hells_dark said:
Maybe the devs who have done a complete game, but with basic graphics, may ask to others to improve them.
Yeah I kinda hope this is what happens. :)

Gruso said:
There is so much talent in this place. I love you guys. :wub:
Awww group hug! :lol: I'm just hoping things continue at this pace.

pstudio said:
Unfortunately time doesn't allow me to make any more games right now, but it's good to see that many others are contributing now.
Time is a pain to find sometimes... <_<
I'm sure we'll see a few more minigames, I know I have a couple of ideas once I've finished the interface/engine stuff.

PandoraPanic800x480.png

Here's my first entry. I'd like to think of it as finished except that there are a couple of things I would like to do and one thing I need to fix that I can't figure out.

With this one I've gone for the complete retro experience, so the look and the sounds are taken from the original.

Pandora Panic Pong

The problem is that the ball, when it moves over the mid-line or the scores leaves a messy trail behind it (well, it does on my Vista machine). Those are all part of the background image and reloading the background image doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

The things I would like to change are
  1. The sound effects get played a lot later than I would like (and it's not a huge amount of leading silence on the file). This makes it feel kind of unnatural.
  2. Smooth out the movement of the cpu paddle (any suggestions?)
  3. Hold the screen fractionally longer when the ball goes out either side and play the original Pong sound but I can't see an easy way
I'm not a C programmer by any means so this is based on the SpaceInvaders game and modified to suit.

Ps., Would've taken me a lot less time if I could do it in Ruby. :)

Miggles said:
The problem is that the ball, when it moves over the mid-line or the scores leaves a messy trail behind it (well, it does on my Vista machine). Those are all part of the background image and reloading the background image doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

The things I would like to change are
  1. The sound effects get played a lot later than I would like (and it's not a huge amount of leading silence on the file). This makes it feel kind of unnatural.
  2. Smooth out the movement of the cpu paddle (any suggestions?)
  3. Hold the screen fractionally longer when the ball goes out either side and play the original Pong sound but I can't see an easy way
I'm not a C programmer by any means so this is based on the SpaceInvaders game and modified to suit.

Ps., Would've taken me a lot less time if I could do it in Ruby. :)
Good to see another addition!

The trails problem sounds like you are not reblitting your background image every frame, so that ball eats away at what was once in the video ram.

1. [*Not sure about the sound lag... I'll take a look at the code at some point.
  2. Not entirely sure without taking a look... I've made a pong game before, I'll see if I can tweak the AI maybe, or give you pointers...
  3. You need to set up a Timer object to delay things.
    CODE

Timer timer;
    timer.setMode(SECONDS);
    timer.start();

if(timer.getScaledTicks() >2)
    {
    //trigger something
    }

Haha, yeah a lot of people have preferred languages, sorry it's not ideal, but you have something to show for it at least. :)

I will take a look at it, but I'm only on quickly just now... I'm feeling quite ill the last few days, which means I haven't progressed things as far as I would have liked(wanted to have a framework update by the end of today)

I just can't hold my concentration with headaches, coughing and general crappiness, so likewise, it'll have to wait till I have a clear head to look at what your bugs may be... I hope some of the above things have helped, however.

PokeParadox said:
The trails problem sounds like you are not reblitting your background image every frame, so that ball eats away at what was once in the video ram.

1. [*Not sure about the sound lag... I'll take a look at the code at some point.
  2. Not entirely sure without taking a look... I've made a pong game before, I'll see if I can tweak the AI maybe, or give you pointers...
  3. You need to set up a Timer object to delay things.
If by blitting the background on each frame you mean having a call to background.render(screen); in my update code, yeah, I've got one of those. :)

Thanks for the timer code. I've got that in place and working now.

I can't seem to find a fix for the sound lag myself, so I need your help with that and the background. I'm now investigating bounce angles so I can make it a bit more interesting.

I've updated the files in the link above.

Ps., Thanks for the help. Hope you start getting better soon.

On another note, I have a couple of other ideas that I will try to implement as minigames but I'm open to suggestions. If you've got an idea for a game and don't have the time to code it up, let me know and I'll see if I can get it up and running for you.

Miggles said:
If by blitting the background on each frame you mean having a call to background.render(screen); in my update code, yeah, I've got one of those. :)

Thanks for the timer code. I've got that in place and working now.

I can't seem to find a fix for the sound lag myself, so I need your help with that and the background. I'm now investigating bounce angles so I can make it a bit more interesting.

Ps., Thanks for the help. Hope you start getting better soon.
I've had a look and I've realised the problem for the trails... I changed how transparencies are handled for the Image class. It takes the topleft pixel and sets this as the transparent colour for that image. In your case the transparent colour becomes black...
Two workarounds(I intend to fix these problems though.)
  • blit a black rect at the beginning of the render function.
  • set one Magenta or another unused colour pixel at the topleft of your background image.
I'm having other problems with your game, however, the ball is getting stuck at the top of the screen... not sure why as yet.

I still don't know about the sound lag problem, only having a quick look at your code right now.

PS I feel a little better, not coughing as much, so the headache has gone :) Still not very great though, heh.

Also do you think it would be handy to get a prerelease Pandora(I have already preordered a release Pandora, but I'm one of these refund credit/debit card people...)? I've put a request in the thread, but just wondering what you guys think, would it help much?
I think it would be good in the sense we can get the controls worked out and also get this game actually compiling for Pandora.

PokeParadox said:
I've had a look and I've realised the problem for the trails... I changed how transparencies are handled for the Image class. It takes the topleft pixel and sets this as the transparent colour for that image. In your case the transparent colour becomes black...
Two workarounds(I intend to fix these problems though.)
  • blit a black rect at the beginning of the render function.
  • set one Magenta or another unused colour pixel at the topleft of your background image.
I'm having other problems with your game, however, the ball is getting stuck at the top of the screen... not sure why as yet.

I still don't know about the sound lag problem, only having a quick look at your code right now.

PS I feel a little better, not coughing as much, so the headache has gone :) Still not very great though, heh.
Also do you think it would be handy to get a prerelease Pandora(I have already preordered a release Pandora, but I'm one of these refund credit/debit card people...)? I've put a request in the thread, but just wondering what you guys think, would it help much?
I think it would be good in the sense we can get the controls worked out and also get this game actually compiling for Pandora.

How does one blit a black rectangle? I've looked in the Background class and can't see anything that looks like it would do the trick.

I've not seen the ball getting stuck behaviour at all. Could this be a windows environment thing compared to your nix environment? Maybe I should try resuscitating my Ubuntu partition and working on this in there. If you can find it, please point out how/why.

Not sure how many pre-release Pandoras there are. If there is only a few they're probably better off going to the peeps pumping out the kernel magic and the like. If there are more than a few of them, then sure. While I think we need to make use of some of these artists that have offered time to tidy up some of the existing games and punch out a few more, PP! stands a pretty good chance of being playable on or close to release date.

Would be pretty sweet if people were playing a game I contributed to. It would be even sweeter if PP! got included in the default install so everybody would play it. :)

Miggles said:
How does one blit a black rectangle? I've looked in the Background class and can't see anything that looks like it would do the trick.

I've not seen the ball getting stuck behaviour at all. Could this be a windows environment thing compared to your nix environment? Maybe I should try resuscitating my Ubuntu partition and working on this in there. If you can find it, please point out how/why.

Would be pretty sweet if people were playing a game I contributed to. It would be even sweeter if PP! got included in the default install so everybody would play it. :)
This code at the beginning of the render will do it.
CODE

SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB(screen->format,0,0,0));

I have had problems like this happen because of an uninitialised variable... Hmmm not sure what's causing it as yet... I'm currently looking at it from WinXP, Code::Blocks. If I do spot something I'll let you know ;)

Well it would be the best thing ever if we managed to get this included with all Pandoras. :)

Hi
If I understood, Pandora Panic will be a Mini-games collection....
I would ask you if Jawbreaker will be included (it can also use the touchscreen...).
I think you can use the source code of Yajac (http://sourceforge.net/projects/yajac/).
Thak you :D
Giovanni

PokeParadox said:
This code at the beginning of the render will do it.
CODE

SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB(screen->format,0,0,0));
I have had problems like this happen because of an uninitialised variable... Hmmm not sure what's causing it as yet... I'm currently looking at it from WinXP, Code::Blocks. If I do spot something I'll let you know ;)

Well it would be the best thing ever if we managed to get this included with all Pandoras. :)

Blitting a black rectangle solves that issue, and I've figured the issue with the getting stuck on the walls and what not is because I made a mess of the code to reduce the momentum on every bounce. I've fixed both of those in my copy now. If you could figure out the sound lag that would be awesome.

Two more questions for you:
I don't know a better way to output debug data so I can figure out what's going on than to just render some text to the screen. This code should work (as far as I can tell) but I lose everything after the float. Suggestions?
CODE

text.setPosition(0, 0);
char buffer [100];
int n;
n = sprintf(buffer, "ballVelocity: %f\nballUp: %i\nballRight: %i", ballVelocity, ballUp, ballRight);
text.print(screen, buffer);

Second question:
I'm making a start on my second game now and I need to make a list of sprites. I could use an array but I wanted to know if there was a better way? What I'm trying to have happen is the sprites scroll from the top of the screen to the bottom. But I don't just want to loop them in the same order, so when they scroll off the bottom I want to drop that item from the collection and add another random one. Anything you would suggest?

Miggles said:
I don't know a better way to output debug data so I can figure out what's going on than to just render some text to the screen. This code should work (as far as I can tell) but I lose everything after the float. Suggestions?
CODE

text.setPosition(0, 0);
char buffer [100];
int n;
n = sprintf(buffer, "ballVelocity: %f\nballUp: %i\nballRight: %i", ballVelocity, ballUp, ballRight);
text.print(screen, buffer);

Second question:
I'm making a start on my second game now and I need to make a list of sprites. I could use an array but I wanted to know if there was a better way? What I'm trying to have happen is the sprites scroll from the top of the screen to the bottom. But I don't just want to loop them in the same order, so when they scroll off the bottom I want to drop that item from the collection and add another random one. Anything you would suggest?

I think the newline symbols are what are spoiling the party. It's a bug with the TextHandler, it doesn't expect anything after the \n...(I think...)
Workaround: lot's of text.print()s ... sorry :S I'll look into this also.

Hmmm I would use inheritance and dynamic object creation (a base class and new and delete)
I don't have time to explain right now, I have to leave soon :S a quick suggestion is that the Particle engine(Particle Emitter, SpriteParticle, etc) uses this method.

But ya, I have to go, glad you solved the other siisues though.

I'm working on a pretty simple game, which is basically playing pong with yourself on all four sides of the screen, and you have to keep the ball from going out of bounds for a certain amount of time. It might be a little while coming, as I've got a lot of work for my CS classes (final project time).

One suggestion - it would be nice if the link to the framework in the first post told the release date of the currently available framework download (to help people keep their code base up to date without having to search through the to see if Poke updated it).

hells_dark said:
Why not start to use http://archive.openpandora.org ?

I think that's more for finished programs, drivers, things like that. This is, as of now, just a framework (that's still in the making) and some (semi-)completed mini-games. Probably not the kind of thing to go on the archive.

Back