Pandora Pandora Panic

marshal said:
I tried to quickly add some shadow in inkscape... not sure it makes that much difference in the end though.

I also uploaded my inkscape svg file if somebody wants to improve it. Couldn't find a image upload website that accepted .svg so I used mediafire in the end... :blink:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2wdnzutfwmd

I changed the shadow color to black in the SVG you posted and got this:

IMO it looks a little less "flat". What do you think?

EDIT: I removed the image as it required another file not supplied.

EDIT2: ...and by image I mean the star logo

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think your shadows are a bit better :)

Sorry about the star logo... didn't even come to my mind it wasn't in the svg itself.
I got the star image file from the repository... here it is again:

foxblock said:
We also need a generic 70x70 greyscale image for secret achievements (name and description will not be shown, you will have to guess or find out what to do).
I think some kind of lock image would look best here.
I hate to rain on your parade, but wouldn't a question mark be more appropriate, in the same font that you're already using for "P!"?

Also, I did a little art for your fire game. It should be better than the placeholders at least! :)

floor.png

firej.png

Just out of curiosity, does the new art need to fit the boundaries of the placeholders, like these do?

Mr.Confuzed said:
Also, I did a little art for your fire game. It should be better than the placeholders at least! :)

Just out of curiosity, does the new art need to fit the boundaries of the placeholders, like these do?

Thank you!
Is that second question about fire stuff or the achievement things?

Pickle said:
Thank you!
Ah, yes, I understand that the achievement pics should all be the same size. I was talking about the fire game. For example, adding roofs?

And the awkward controls were intentional, right? Who did this game anyway?

Mr.Confuzed said:
Pickle said:
Thank you!
Ah, yes, I understand that the achievement pics should all be the same size. I was talking about the fire game. For example, adding roofs?

And the awkward controls were intentional, right? Who did this game anyway?

Yeah you can come up with graphics within reason. I could add something to draw in roofs fairly easily.
The 2 areas that couls use improvement are the background and truck, they look pretty bad.
Whats awkward about the controls?
By the way im the one who did this game ;-)

By the way, Why are the Icons 70x70? I thought the "rule of 8" is always better for games so 64x64 would be the right size? Anyway. ^^"

Mr.Confuzed said:

floor.png

firej.png

aaah, now I can imagine the GFX much better (still havven't tested the Game). Why is the colour-Keying on every Tile? shouldn't it be more onto an empty, seperate tile? ;)

Here, If you want you can use one of my old Tile-Sets. It has some nice Brick-Settings and everything is done by me so no worries about Copyright 'n Stuff. ^_^ Feel free to use the Elements, sorry I was to lazy to cut out the other Stuff.
fpindustiles.png

Simple 32x32 Tiles, actualy for a 2D Jump'n run Platform Setting but maybe usable for other things.

P.S.: 121 Colours, 8bpp! :D I like the minimalistic Style!

Pickle said:
Whats awkward about the controls?
By the way im the one who did this game ;-)
It's just that the stream moves in discrete steps, which I would assume is there to make the game harder.

Just so you know, your opening yourself up to a world of hate: As I was playing around level 30, I kept thinking, "Dammit Pickle! I already finished that side!" I feel like I'm missing the story behind your avatar though.

@fusion_power, I have no idea what you are trying to say regarding the colour-keying, but you have some nice tiles there. I doubt they will work here though. Do you have some outside background stuff. I don't know what to do with it.

Mr.Confuzed said:
@fusion_power, I have no idea what you are trying to say regarding the colour-keying, but you have some nice tiles there. I doubt they will work here though. Do you have some outside background stuff. I don't know what to do with it.
The first Pixel of the House-Tiles are all pink. I guess that these Colour will be invisible into the Game. So in the finished scene, there is a pixel missing on each tile. ;) So normaly the Key-Colour for transparency (pink here) could be defined outside of the used tiles.
Like mentioned, you can use the brick-parts and match them to the House Tiles if you want. A simple 1:1 usage is not possible I think. I don't have any matching "outside" stuff for the Fire game. My BG plus the Tiles of my set look like this, when using SGDK:

Mr.Confuzed said:
foxblock said:
We also need a generic 70x70 greyscale image for secret achievements (name and description will not be shown, you will have to guess or find out what to do).
I think some kind of lock image would look best here.
I hate to rain on your parade, but wouldn't a question mark be more appropriate, in the same font that you're already using for "P!"?
Well, that was just one idea, I will go with the one which looks best as an icon.

fusion_power said:
By the way, Why are the Icons 70x70? I thought the "rule of 8" is always better for games so 64x64 would be the right size? Anyway. ^^"
Well, it is because the cpu is binary based so it has to do less conversions and divides on a based 2 image (might not be completely right), but I just did what looked best, also we are not talking about (animated) sprites here, these are just some static icons, so there is nothing to worry about...
I don't think making them 64x64 would increase performance and if you are very uncomfortable with the fact that they are not, well then I guess you will just have to live with it ;)
(Basically I just made the achievements 80px high and added a 5px border around the icon, which looked good, so I left it that way)

foxblock out

fusion_power said:
The first Pixel of the House-Tiles are all pink. I guess that these Colour will be invisible into the Game. So in the finished scene, there is a pixel missing on each tile. ;) So normaly the Key-Colour for transparency (pink here) could be defined outside of the used tiles.
Yeah, that's right. That pixel was there before I touched the pic, so I just left it. I doubt that that pixel defines the transparency, but I could be wrong. (I was wrong) Here's a pic of the game originally:
31000042.th.png
As you can see, it's not tiled horizontally like your game. So that pixel is nigh invisible.

edit: Anyone want a fire truck? Warning, this one should have an alpha channel, because it is part of the background.
firetruck.png

And the water cannon:
cannon.png

Pickle, were you planning on using the smoke particles?

foxblock said:
Well, it is because the cpu is binary based so it has to do less conversions and divides on a based 2 image (might not be completely right), but I just did what looked best, also we are not talking about (animated) sprites here, these are just some static icons, so there is nothing to worry about...
I don't think making them 64x64 would increase performance and if you are very uncomfortable with the fact that they are not, well then I guess you will just have to live with it ;)
(Basically I just made the achievements 80px high and added a 5px border around the icon, which looked good, so I left it that way)
foxblock out
Actualy, the "rule of 8" has nothing to do with Performance I guess. But the Sprites/Tiles/Everything simply fit better onto a 800x480 screen. This comes in handy, when you have the entire Screen full of stuff but I agree it really doesn't matter in the case of PP. :)

Mr.Confuzed said:
Yeah, that's right. That pixel was there before I touched the pic, so I just left it. I doubt that that pixel defines the transparency, but I could be wrong. (I was wrong) Here's a pic of the game originally:
31000042.th.png
As you can see, it's not tiled horizontally like your game. So that pixel is nigh invisible.
OK, with this pic, I see more clearly. I first thought there are only 2 large Houses one left and one right from the Firetruck. (Maybe with random number of Windows) I thought about to make a Tile Set with Roof-Tiles (left, middle,right), Window-Tile, Door Tile and side-Tiles (left, right). But for this Setting, the Game need some reprogramming I think.

fusion_power said:
foxblock said:
foxblock out
Actualy, the "rule of 8" has nothing to do with Performance I guess. But the Sprites/Tiles/Everything simply fit better onto a 800x480 screen. This comes in handy, when you have the entire Screen full of stuff but I agree it really doesn't matter in the case of PP. :)
I am pretty sure I somewhere read that it also has to do with performance, but I also talked to an artist and he said in general it's easier to design sprites/tiles with the usual dimensions (16,64,etc.), also we are probably going to use some of the in-game sprites for icons and because of all that icons are now 64x64...
I hope I did not destroy anyone's work by doing so, but I did not see a person which had started working on icons (apart from that lock, but as it's vector based, it should be easy to scale).

Also, I updated the achievements so they show a progress bar and more. So this is now ready for release, except for the missing icons...

foxblock out

Here is my Idea for the Fire game:
With some additional Tiles like Roof and Sides, you can display different buildings with different Sizes. I haven't tested it but these 6 Tiles (32x32 each) should fit to build many window rows and columns + House Sides (without windows) and the roof.
No "animated" fire or burned Window yet.

I've been messing around with PanJoust this afternoon, see the results:

[/media]

All WIP, but maybe something for a boss level allready, and maybe a game outside PP eventually, who knows...

Opinions please!!

cheers

MarkoeZ said:

All WIP, but maybe something for a boss level allready, and maybe a game outside PP eventually, who knows...

Opinions please!!

cheers
Looks very impressive, I like it :)
Also the "limited flaps" mechanism is good, removes the exploit of being able to stay at the top of the screen and being invincible.
Is the level created randomly, hard coded or do you load it from a file?

Though it might be a bit too slow for a PP game (not enough panic ;) ) - but if you manage to include some more enemies and maybe bosses, it totally deserves it own game.

foxblock out

MarkoeZ said:

[/media]

Opinions please!!

cheers
looks like an early version of an upcomming horizontal shooter. Why not. :)
Instead of an Space Ship, you fly a Bird. Could be interesting. I don't know with what the bird would fire straight ahead but I have an idea for droping a "Bomb" :lol: ;)

foxblock said:
Looks very impressive, I like it :)
Also the "limited flaps" mechanism is good, removes the exploit of being able to stay at the top of the screen and being invincible.
Is the level created randomly, hard coded or do you load it from a file?

Thanks!
the platforms are currently semi random. They are somewhat vertically spread across the level. But both horizontal and vertical positions have random variables in them.
Birds are placed near platforms, again with a random factor.
Making the levels file based is trivial, i have some code ready.

Though it might be a bit too slow for a PP game (not enough panic ;) ) - but if you manage to include some more enemies and maybe bosses, it totally deserves it own game.

foxblock out

Good to hear, and that is the plan. This was just the mechanics, not the gameplay yet

looks like an early version of an upcomming horizontal shooter. Why not. :)
Instead of an Space Ship, you fly a Bird. Could be interesting. I don't know with what the bird would fire straight ahead but I have an idea for droping a "Bomb" :lol: ;)

Not sur that's the direction it's going, but im open for any ideas. And some bombing is always nice ;)

Achievement icons we still need:
  • Only lucky / Getting better / AWESOME! - Win XX games in a row in Panic or Ordered gamemode (I could imagine a set of different sized cups)
  • Sneakthrough - Close ghost pass at high speed in Maze
  • First- / Second- / Third- / Fourth- / Fifth Jumper Goal - Finish the XX map in minimal jumps
  • Close call - Land on the pad with no fuel left (Plander)
  • Firefighter - Shoot 20000 litres of water in Fire
  • Perfect Putt - Shoot exactly at the center of the green block
(we currently have 21 achievements in total)

foxblock out

Back