Pandora Pandora Panic

foxblock said:
The AchievementSystem is now finished and we are currently integrating it into the game (working great so far).
The only thing we are lacking are proper achievements.
So, please people tell us your ideas, you can come up with nearly everything - the system is pretty flexible, so we will probably be able to integrate most of them.
When I have the Game onto my Pandora (this also means, when I have the Pandora :D ) I will play it and I'm sure I will have many Ideas during play. (I hope, I find more Ideas than bugs. ^_^ )

Aww, I would love to (also because I had a imo good idea for the style), but I just have too little time at my hands.
Please, anyone give Fire a graphical overhaul, it's already a great game only lacking some graphics.
foxblock out
Please, can you post the mentioned Graphics? (again, I don't have the game yet)

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
foxblock said:
The AchievementSystem is now finished and we are currently integrating it into the game (working great so far).
The only thing we are lacking are proper achievements.
So, please people tell us your ideas, you can come up with nearly everything - the system is pretty flexible, so we will probably be able to integrate most of them.
When I have the Game onto my Pandora (this also means, when I have the Pandora :D ) I will play it and I'm sure I will have many Ideas during play. (I hope, I find more Ideas than bugs. ^_^ )

Aww, I would love to (also because I had a imo good idea for the style), but I just have too little time at my hands.
Please, anyone give Fire a graphical overhaul, it's already a great game only lacking some graphics.
foxblock out

foxblock was referring to achievement ideas I think.

Also, here is a link to the data package for PP! it has all GFX sounds and music.
images/Fire/ has the Fire images :)

Achievement ideas:

Rotating turret: "precognition" (shoot the bomb very far away) and "in the nick of time" (shoot the bomb very near)
Memory Blocks: solve quickly on different levels, solve at first try (never move back to a block)

About achievements, can i go as far as: finish jumper map 1 in 3 jumps, map 2 in 2 jumps, map 3 in 11 jumps, etc? Or even make finishing all the different levels at minimal number of jumps an achievement?
for joust: don't touch any platform untill the end of a winning game (including after game time!)
Distractedmath could just be: finish within a number of seconds.
Maze, thinking about a "Sneakthrough", pass a ghost very close to get around a corner. But no idea how to detect that yet...

I will probably manage to implement those myself, but:

I tried to compile the latest svn version, and i had an error compiling. I updated everything, including the project file (and updated search paths ofcourse). All new Achievement files seem to be included and linked if necessary.

It was in Arena, and with // before the line, the project compiled nice:

Code:
 ACHIEVEMENTS->logEvent("ARENA_HIT_ENEMY");

// result:

C:\PPNEW\StateArena.cpp|184|error: `ACHIEVEMENTS' was not declared in this scope|

Im not familiar enough with the achievents system yet to find the problem myself, srry : )

Anyway, great progress again, achievements keeps the game interesting much longer. Is it also possible to have small and large achievements? because they could be made nearly impossible, for Pro PandoraPanic! Players (PPP(P?)'s ; )

Cheers!

foxblock out
[/quote]
Well I just had an idea for the graphics, I did not draw anything yet, I could, but I don't have the time to finish it, so it will probably be better if someone else takes a go for it.

MarkoeZ said:
About achievements, can i go as far as: finish jumper map 1 in 3 jumps, map 2 in 2 jumps, map 3 in 11 jumps, etc? Or even make finishing all the different levels at minimal number of jumps an achievement?
for joust: don't touch any platform untill the end of a winning game (including after game time!)
Distractedmath could just be: finish within a number of seconds.
Maze, thinking about a "Sneakthrough", pass a ghost very close to get around a corner. But no idea how to detect that yet...

I will probably manage to implement those myself, but:

I tried to compile the latest svn version, and i had an error compiling. I updated everything, including the project file (and updated search paths ofcourse). All new Achievement files seem to be included and linked if necessary.

It was in Arena, and with // before the line, the project compiled nice:

Code:
 ACHIEVEMENTS->logEvent("ARENA_HIT_ENEMY");

// result:

C:PPNEWStateArena.cpp|184|error: `ACHIEVEMENTS' was not declared in this scope|

Im not familiar enough with the achievents system yet to find the problem myself, srry : )

Anyway, great progress again, achievements keeps the game interesting much longer. Is it also possible to have small and large achievements? because they could be made nearly impossible, for Pro PandoraPanic! Players (PPP(P?)'s ; )

Cheers!
You can go very far, the ideas for Jumper can all be implemented pretty easily (you just might want to count the number of jumps in-game and then log an event when touching the goal and put the number of jumps as a specialProperty).
Joust: Certainly possible, I could think of at least two ways to include that ;)
Maze: Yeah that sounds tricky to detect, you could submit the distance to any ghost on every update, but that would be highly inefficient and could cost some resources.

I think I will have to write a guide about the whole system so anyone can use it (it's really simple, but you still have to know the basics, so you don't over-complex it).

I will have to look into that error, maybe I forgot some #ifdefs there.
Did you compile with "USE_ACHIEVEMENTS" defined? (otherwise it won't include the whole system for backwards compability - @PokeParadox: do we really need that?)

B-ZaR said:
Achievement ideas:

Rotating turret: "precognition" (shoot the bomb very far away) and "in the nick of time" (shoot the bomb very near)
Memory Blocks: solve quickly on different levels, solve at first try (never move back to a block)

"Precognition" will be tricky as the bomb spawns in different distances to the turret, but "In the nick of time" sound really good, will implement that asap.
The second idea for memory block sounds hard to detect as some people might want to start solving the puzzle the other way around or will swap through the symbols in another way...

Thanks for your input so far, keep it coming :)

foxblock out

foxblock said:
You can go very far, the ideas for Jumper can all be implemented pretty easily (you just might want to count the number of jumps in-game and then log an event when touching the goal and put the number of jumps as a specialProperty).
Joust: Certainly possible, I could think of at least two ways to include that ;)
Maze: Yeah that sounds tricky to detect, you could submit the distance to any ghost on every update, but that would be highly inefficient and could cost some resources.

I think I will have to write a guide about the whole system so anyone can use it (it's really simple, but you still have to know the basics, so you don't over-complex it).

I will have to look into that error, maybe I forgot some #ifdefs there.
Did you compile with "USE_ACHIEVEMENTS" defined? (otherwise it won't include the whole system for backwards compability - @PokeParadox: do we really need that?)

foxblock out

I figured out the USE_ACHIEVEMENTS part, but im still figuring out how the whole structure works. How could i set a very easy achievement now for testing purposes? for instance the arena achievement

Edit: I noticed achieve.ach is not in the svn. Might that be the problem?

Edit2: and it's still not working, i thought so, but apparently not, same error :(

foxblock said:
Well I just had an idea for the graphics, I did not draw anything yet, I could, but I don't have the time to finish it, so it will probably be better if someone else takes a go for it.
I've checked the Graphics but without playing the Game I cannot do much. Is there a Windows .EXE of the latest build? It seems, the "House" in the Fire Game is made only of one tile. Additional tiles for sides and top/roof + 1. Floor could be an addition. But I think someone with more graphical Talent than me should do this. :)

Oh, is there a reward when you have reached ALL achievements? ;)

MarkoeZ said:
I figured out the USE_ACHIEVEMENTS part, but im still figuring out how the whole structure works. How could i set a very easy achievement now for testing purposes? for instance the arena achievement

Edit: I noticed achieve.ach is not in the svn. Might that be the problem?

Edit2: and it's still not working, i thought so, but apparently not, same error :(
The file missing is not a problem, it will be created automatically.

I will now have a look at the error, it compiles fine on my pc, but I developed the system, maybe I forgot to upload some files...

To setup an easy achievement check the AchievementsSetup.h file and after that go through Arena or Reflex and look for the logEvent calls, maybe you see what to do - I will try to setup a quick tutorial shortly.

fusion_power said:
I've checked the Graphics but without playing the Game I cannot do much. Is there a Windows .EXE of the latest build? It seems, the "House" in the Fire Game is made only of one tile. Additional tiles for sides and top/roof + 1. Floor could be an addition. But I think someone with more graphical Talent than me should do this. :)
here http://projectinfini...es:pandorapanic are some builds, the are not the latest ones, but I think Fire and the current graphics are included.

fusion_power said:
Oh, is there a reward when you have reached ALL achievements? ;)
Not yet... (as there are only 3 test achievements, but some milestones could be added)

foxblock out

Edit: @MarkoeZ: It probably will be easier to solve this problem via ICQ or MSN (check my profile for the data)... - I am online atm

foxblock said:
It's more that it shouldn't be included on a game that is not going to make use of it. But it needs to be tightly integrated to the Engine and the BaseState class in order to be able to log infomation to trigger the achievements. So it's not so much for backwards compatibility, but more so that resources are not wasted on a general case game made with Penjin.

PokeParadox said:
foxblock said:
It's more that it shouldn't be included on a game that is not going to make use of it. But it needs to be tightly integrated to the Engine and the BaseState class in order to be able to log infomation to trigger the achievements. So it's not so much for backwards compatibility, but more so that resources are not wasted on a general case game made with Penjin.
Of course, I was more talking about the PandoraPanic integration...

foxblock said:
B-ZaR said:
Achievement ideas:

"Precognition" will be tricky as the bomb spawns in different distances to the turret, but "In the nick of time" sound really good, will implement that asap.
The second idea for memory block sounds hard to detect as some people might want to start solving the puzzle the other way around or will swap through the symbols in another way...

Thanks for your input so far, keep it coming :)

foxblock out

How about changing the idea into [two: "never look back" (don't press left arrow) and (using just the latter idea is actually better, but I wanted to keep this one here too for future reference)] not cycling into the same symbol twice on the same reel?

foxblock said:
PokeParadox said:
foxblock said:
Of course, I was more talking about the PandoraPanic integration...
Sorry... in that case, only the the Penjin common classes need the USE_ACHIEVEMENTS #ifdefs. Anything P! specific should quite happily handle the achievement code but the project file has to be updated for all targets to use the USE_ACHIEVEMENTS option.

Just a note that I've been tidying code and fixing bugs in Penjin.
Also I've discovered Code::Blocks has variable support, so I'm trying to setup the project file to be more portable.
It should prompt you for you path to the Pandora SDK libs and so forth when you open the project file. You will still have to setup the compiler itself.
I'm still trying to investigate ways to make all this a bit simpler!

ppscreenachievements.jpg

This is a call for graphic artists: We need icons.

If you would like to help, you can get a template graphic here, use the left image for the locked state and the right one for the unlocked one (best: locked - greyscale).
Please keep the image 140x70 (so every icon state is 70x70) - this will look best in the final game.

We also need a generic 70x70 greyscale image for secret achievements (name and description will not be shown, you will have to guess or find out what to do).
I think some kind of lock image would look best here.

Thanks in advance,

foxblock out

I don't consider myself a graphic artist but I tried something with a lock...

Unlocked state:

locked state:

Do you think it's usable ?

I did it in inkscape. It's based on this lock vectorial image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:padlock.svg 
(it's released under the public domain)
I can of course share the .svg if somebody is interested.

They look good Marshal. I think an unlocked achievement should just display the relevant image (as per the Joust example above), but locked ones should show one of your grey padlocks.

Gruso said:
They look good Marshal. I think an unlocked achievement should just display the relevant image (as per the Joust example above), but locked ones should show one of your grey padlocks.
Exactly, that was the idea.

They look really good, if you could add some kind of background behind the lock (solid grey or gradient) so they match exactly 70x70px, they go right in :)
If you also need a vector image of the star, I can send you one - just drop me a PM with your mail address.

foxblock out

foxblock said:
Gruso said:
Exactly, that was the idea.

They look really good, if you could add some kind of background behind the lock (solid grey or gradient) so they match exactly 70x70px, they go right in :)
If you also need a vector image of the star, I can send you one - just drop me a PM with your mail address.

foxblock out

And maybe a teeny weeny bit of shadow?

Of course it make sense to only use the grayscale version :)

I tried to quickly add some shadow in inkscape... not sure it makes that much difference in the end though.

Here are two greyscale version. 70x70 with a grey background.
The only deference between the two version is the desaturate method chossen in Gimp.

I also uploaded my inkscape svg file if somebody wants to improve it. Couldn't find a image upload website that accepted .svg so I used mediafire in the end... :blink:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2wdnzutfwmd

Back