Pandora Pandora Panic

Please check Pang if you make any sweeping PNG changes, as Pang uses a lot of transparencies and also uses the alpha channel of the PNG as a collision mask for some graphics.

EDIT : Also, optipng is exactly the sort of program I wanted to use, although when I did a Google before I didn't notice it (perhaps bad search terms) - I was going to roll it myself, which is trivial enough to do, but 10x easier when it is already done! Nice find.

Steve

Please Update your PandoraPanic! and Penjin working folders!
I have been on a major bug hunt today and there are many changes.

PokeParadox said:
Thanks! it worked wonders shaved about 2-3MB off the images... unfortunately it also makes it difficult to get Pixel values... so I get some transparency issues.
I realise something in my code needs fixing since the pngs should work the same before and afterwords but right now, it doesn't make sense to spend time looking into this when we have a game to finish! :)

But thanks again! I'll keep that script handy.
OK scratch what I said because I spent time and got the issue fixed!

Rockthesmurf said:
Please check Pang if you make any sweeping PNG changes, as Pang uses a lot of transparencies and also uses the alpha channel of the PNG as a collision mask for some graphics.

EDIT : Also, optipng is exactly the sort of program I wanted to use, although when I did a Google before I didn't notice it (perhaps bad search terms) - I was going to roll it myself, which is trivial enough to do, but 10x easier when it is already done! Nice find.

Steve
Yes I checked and Pang is still fine and CollisionMaps still work... phew. Hopefully this is properly fixed now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya folks,

Did anybody here play the maze game? because im thinking about changing it more towards the pacman experience. Collecting some dots/fruit/whatever instead of reaching a goal. Not a maze full of them (copyright might be an issue too then), but a reasonable number on various locations in the maze. Trying to make it more of a hunt instead of a race, i think that will be better gameplay experience. Ofcourse some map layout changes would have to be made and i am not sure it will make the 1st release since some work is needed on one of my other games, but im just curious about opinions.

And if you think Maze is fine and i should turn this into another minigame, please say so. Because it will only take new graphics and a couple of gameplay changes.

Cheers!

p.s. if anybody would like a windows build for testing purposes (PandoraPanic) , contact me. To be totally clear, it's a local version, and 99.?% stable. If you want the clean release build, wait a short while, we are almost there.

Edit: clarifications

If Maze is going into the first release, I might have to take a look at the test build so I can write a little description for the manual. :) Or a ten second Youtube clip would be fine. Or I could just make stuff up.

Then the manual is done, and I can finish it off with txt and pdf versions.

Gruso said:
If Maze is going into the first release, I might have to take a look at the test build so I can write a little description for the manual. :) Or a ten second Youtube clip would be fine. Or I could just make stuff up.

Then the manual is done, and I can finish it off with txt and pdf versions.
Wow, you actually do all the different versions by hand?

You either have lots of time to spare, mad scripting skills, or never heard of lyx/tex/LaTeX :p

BTW, how will this manual show up in the actual Panic distribution? Will there be a "Manual" menu item in the game with an integrated viewer, or will there just be the wiki link etc..? Sorry, haven't kept up with this project as much as I would have wanted to.

- I have just now heard of lyx/tex/LaTeX :p
- I have no scripting skills
- I'm old, fussy, and stubborn. For a short document like this, it's really no trouble.

As for how it will be accessible, I presume we'll be using a similar system to gmenu2x, where a readme.txt is accessible from the launcher. On the gp2x, the presence of a readme was indicated by an i symbol when you "moused over" a game icon. You could press Y to read it. I think a similar thing is built into the pxml/pnd spec?

The game's pause screen help tips should remove the need to launch the manual in-game, but if you wanted to do so, you'd have to launch it as a separate process.

The PDF version I'm doing probably won't be all that practical for on-Pandora-screen reading. The aim of it is just to add a bit of polish to final product, with embedded graphics and stuff. I'm hoping to fit it on a single A4 sheet for easy printing.

Gruso said:
I think a similar thing is built into the pxml/pnd spec?
Nope, not so, I'm afraid. Feel free to suggest that as an addition (AFTER the Pandora has launched, so that skeezix doesn't fret ;))

Hi guys!

I have pushed out some of the RC1 builds today and you can find them on the wiki.

At this point I only need to know about major bugs. Make sure you download the data and exe/bin.
NOTE: Those with Pandora hardware, I need to know if the start button is now working. If not anyone that knows what the number of the button is could you please tell me! ;)

Another thing is I could not get a 32b linux build working... I can't seem to get all the 32b libs I need to compile it :/ So anyone with a 32b linux setup... you are welcome to compile and add bins to the wiki.
W32 builds are on their way!
EDIT: Well now I have the W32 build up too. I have realised that the permissions are broken for uploading 7z files... so I will have to look into that at some point... obviously I just use ftp as it's quicker and easier for me.
For the time being if someone does make a 32b linux build, let me know and I can post it on the wiki.

Tried the W32 version on gf's desktop this morning:
  1. Needs some unpacking pointers
    1. Download the W32 binaries, runtime files and data files
    2. Extract the binaries and runtime files to a folder
    3. From the data files package, extract everything under the "built" folder to the same folder as the binaries and runtime dll's
    4. Play
  2. It might be a good idea to reset the "A" button helper timer in the menu every time the selection changes, if I now move through the options it just disappears at times. Better yet, only show it after the user has stayed at one option for a while.
  3. After the user has selected three letters for the high score entry, the game still shows a letter select when it's actually just waiting for the user to coonfirm the entry. You might want to add a "OK?" or something after the name and lose the letter selector after three letters.
  4. The title screen crashed when the logo zoomed out VERY far (I guess into a zero-or-negative size)
  5. I'd probably swap the up/down and left/right functionalities in the selection box. Somehow it feels more logical to change games with left/right and levels with up/down
  6. I just love arena <3
  7. The fire truck should have smaller steps with faster speed when changing power and speed. It would change at the same rate per second, but with more interpolation. Instead of about 10 degrees/1 second it would be better as 1 degrees/0.1 seconds. Now moving the hose is a bit frustrating because things seem to change so slowly because of the big time step between two adjacent angles. Same with changing the power.
  8. My rotating turret game could use an explosion animation. Anyone up for making one?

B-ZaR said:
Tried the W32 version on gf's desktop this morning:
  1. Needs some unpacking pointers
    1. Download the W32 binaries, runtime files and data files
    2. Extract the binaries and runtime files to a folder
    3. From the data files package, extract everything under the "built" folder to the same folder as the binaries and runtime dll's
    4. Play
  2. It might be a good idea to reset the "A" button helper timer in the menu every time the selection changes, if I now move through the options it just disappears at times. Better yet, only show it after the user has stayed at one option for a while.
  3. After the user has selected three letters for the high score entry, the game still shows a letter select when it's actually just waiting for the user to coonfirm the entry. You might want to add a "OK?" or something after the name and lose the letter selector after three letters.
  4. The title screen crashed when the logo zoomed out VERY far (I guess into a zero-or-negative size)
  5. I'd probably swap the up/down and left/right functionalities in the selection box. Somehow it feels more logical to change games with left/right and levels with up/down
  6. I just love arena <3
  1. This will be cleared up when the proper release release is ready. This RC builds are intended to be release-worthy but as you have managed to point out there are things that can be fixed.
  2. fixed in SVN. I don't know if the delay is long enough but you can flick through menu options with the helper flashing until you stay on one for 500ms.
  3. fixed in SVN
  4. I've never had this happen so it will be tricky to fix... I'll see if I can get the same crash after work tomorrow.
  5. Hmmm I don't think this is necessary personally... don't know... maybe it could be a toggle.
  6. Me too!

about number 5, I'm actually used to the fact that the minigames are chosen with UP/DOWN and the difficulty with LEFT/RIGHT, and I'm sure most people are. so I don't think it needs changing.
for number 8, I'll try something.

Thanks to Pickle the elusive Start button problem should be fixed in the default mapping for the Pandora buttons! The changes are on the Penjin SVN but I will put out the RC2 build hopefully after work tomorrow!

Update on Jumper, cleaned up for release and level added.

And for those that did not notice yet, PokeParadox made release candidate, windows, linux and pandora builds. there is a post in the beta test section, but here are the downloads.

(p.s. bump? nah ; )

Edit: another jumper level

A tiny bit tangential... but I'm starting to put together a programming guide for Penjin.
Of course you may find it on the Project Infinity wiki here: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/homebrew:engines:penjin:manual

At the moment it's really a stub page, but I would appreciate if anyone could help out with fleshing it out! :)

With regards to PP! last minute bug fixing has been going quite well... I'm really just waiting for confirmation that the final Pandora controls are ... well ... final!

PokeParadox said:
A tiny bit tangential... but I'm starting to put together a programming guide for Penjin.
Of course you may find it on the Project Infinity wiki here: http://projectinfini...s:penjin:manual

At the moment it's really a stub page, but I would appreciate if anyone could help out with fleshing it out! :)

With regards to PP! last minute bug fixing has been going quite well... I'm really just waiting for confirmation that the final Pandora controls are ... well ... final!

I might do the info text for CountDown as I created it, just don't expect me to do it very soon ;)

Also, did anybody say "Achievements"?

Anyone willing to help give fire a graphical update? Im really not good at the drawing thing, Ive got the concept graphics posted earlier in the thread if those would be of use.

So, I might bring this to your attention again:

foxblock said:
Well well, everything is coming together quite nicely - we just removed a big memleak and it seems like the game is finally free of any :)

I have been working on an achievement system for Penjin for some time now and it's nearing completion. I designed it to be as open and free as possible, but there are always limitations.
So to test the concept I thought it is best to go ahead and ask for your ideas for achievements for PandoraPanic. That way I can see if they are possible with the current system or if I have to make any changes.
I can not guarantee it will make it into the first build (estimated for the Pandora's release), but it will definitely be included later on.

So please tell me your ideas for any kind of achievements (I won't give any limitations, just to see what people usually come up with).
My current ideas include the following:
  • Win 10/20/30 games in a row
  • Find special easter eggs (already included in some games)
  • Win memory blocks with at least 4 seconds time left
  • Play pong for at least 30 seconds
  • Win Arena in 10 or less seconds
  • Get at least 10 correct hits in Reflex
foxblock out
The AchievementSystem is now finished and we are currently integrating it into the game (working great so far).
The only thing we are lacking are proper achievements.
So, please people tell us your ideas, you can come up with nearly everything - the system is pretty flexible, so we will probably be able to integrate most of them.

Pickle said:
Anyone willing to help give fire a graphical update? Im really not good at the drawing thing, Ive got the concept graphics posted earlier in the thread if those would be of use.
Aww, I would love to (also because I had a imo good idea for the style), but I just have too little time at my hands.
Please, anyone give Fire a graphical overhaul, it's already a great game only lacking some graphics.

foxblock out

Back