Pandora Pandora Panic

Bad Vista is one of my favourites, I think it could be extended quite a bit, but I really like the simple, physics based style of it! I'm tempted to fix the little bug in it myself just so it works better! :rolleyes:

Also, maybe I have a different view to the 'official' view, but my feelings of PandoraPanic was to have a really community based project, where anyone can join in, no matter how good/bad they are at game design/programming/art etc. - I guess unless there is some sort of cut off we'll end up with a game that is of no interest to anyone outside of the developers that made it, but it just seems a bit harsh to me to encourage people to have a go at writing a little mini game, just to be told "Your game is really bad, we can't release it."

Sounds like "DroneB Dev" is up for helping out with his friend for code/art, so maybe they can help strengthen the weaker mini games?!

Steve

Rockthesmurf said:
but it just seems a bit harsh to me to encourage people to have a go at writing a little mini game, just to be told "Your game is really bad, we can't release it."

Just my 2 cents, I would indeed suggest to not "axe" on things like "gameplay" or the "quality" of artwork, but only on crashes/freezes/etc, the stuff should be reasonably stable/working, if not better leave it out until the next release.

Last edited by a moderator:
mduffor said:
I guess I'm not against stick figures per-se, just overly simple stick figures. (yeah, like that sentence makes sense.) For example one of my favorite online comics is Order of the Stick and I think the illustrations of Taro Gomi are brilliant. Just don't make it look like something drawn with the circle and line primitive tools in a paint program. :)
I really think that you might need to play WarioWare for the Game Boy Advance. ;) That game that had no qualms about using incredibly simplistic artwork in some of its "microgames", to humourous effect. Much of it was far below the level of simplicity of the Bad Vista campaign's logo. :p

I am also very against cutting any minigames... If we start excluding games like "BadVista" we would have to exclude some more that are basically as simple as this is (in terms of gameplay and graphics), but that would be contrary to the original idea of the project ("Everyone can contribute no matter how skilled he/she is.") as it has been stated numerous times.

I am, on the other hand, strongly arguing for a overhaul of some of the games (like for example BadVista and BallDrop) so that every game gets a difficulty curve depending on the current level and as I said before maybe we could try to get to match these, so that every game gets harder (nearly) the same. I am aware of the problems this arises and I also have already given some explanations in earlier posts which I am not gonna post again here...

I will have a look at my own games and hunt for bugs (though none have yet occurred) or other glitches and everyone doing the same will always have a special place in my heart :p (though it should be the author of that game as it might be hard for an external person to get used to the specific code).
Speaking of which, OneButtonBandit is a good candidate for this as it can very easily lead to crash, but I have to warn anyone attempting to fix this, it might be the most complicated game in there and as it uses a lot pointers (one of which may be leading to NULL which might cause the crash) it is hard to debug and find the bug...

Anyway, great to see so many people participating in completing this great game :)

foxblock out

PS: For anyone trying to fix bugs or contributing to this: Get a Google account and use the issue page on the project's GoogleCode repository (you can also get the most current version via SVN there). Ask PokeParadox to be included in the team.
http://code.google.com/p/pandorapanic/

hmm, srry to say this but how the heck do you communicate with the proyect on the Google code page?, nor a single mail /mailist pm link was available

DroneB Dev said:
hmm, srry to say this but how the heck do you communicate with the proyect on the Google code page?, nor a single mail /mailist pm link was available

I just need a google account username and I can add you to the project and you can submit issues and possible solutions.
Depending on your own abilities you may want a commitor account, where you update code to the games.
EDIT: I spotted your gmail address earlier. I'll add you as a contributor as now. Let me know if you are confident using svn and would like higher privileges.

Regarding Axing Games...
No games are getting axed on the grounds of "the art is too crappy" etc.
This is a game for the community by the community and as long as the game itself functions as a unit and is free of major bugs, it will make it through to the first release.

If you think artwork could be improved for a specific minigame, you are encouraged to contact the game author and see if they would like some improved artwork that you could make. It's a collaboration... if you don't like it, improve it.

DroneB Dev said:
foxblock said:
Ask PokeParadox to be included in the team.
As you are already on the forum it would be an easy one to just write a PM... Sorry I felt like I had to post that. I hate when people ask questions which would have been answered if they had read the post before it completely.
Anyway, does not matter anymore as you are now part of the team, so welcome :)

If anyone is in need of some graphics I would be happy to do some as I am currently rewriting the physics engine code for my own game and doing some artistic stuff in between would be a very welcomed change :)

foxblock out

well, i should not have posted the words like that but, usually when you are looking for help you post up a direct contact thread or mail
so people respond faster.
i didnt find pokeparadox mail nor in the forums nor in the GC webpage.

(yes i completely forgot the PM stuff but i expect it to be almost as fast like the forum thread.)

anyway let me pull the rust off from C and lets get this thing working and debuged ASAP.

hmm, i have worked with SVN and CVS before, but i havent tried it on C/C++ proyects so first of all
i have to DL the proyect also what are the rules being kept in the use of the rep? is there any programming format standard being kept?.

wich IDE is prefered for the proyect? (i ask this because some Proyect files can only be opened on a single IDE, yes when talking bout java i dont care if it is Eclipse or NetBeans just gimme the proyect files Rdy to go.)
(yes im going to read the wiki so...)

DroneB Dev said:
i have to DL the proyect also what are the rules being kept in the use of the rep? is there any programming format standard being kept?.
No, none at all...

DroneB Dev said:
wich IDE is prefered for the proyect? (i ask this because some Proyect files can only be opened on a single IDE, yes when talking bout java i dont care if it is Eclipse or NetBeans just gimme the proyect files Rdy to go.)
(yes im going to read the wiki so...)
I think we all use CodeBlocks, but you are not fixed on that (a friend of mine built it with VisualStudio), but you should probably go with it as there are already some guides on how to start and when encountering problems we are probably able to help you faster.
You will also need to get the latest version from Penjin here: http://code.google.com/p/penjin/

Guide on how to start: http://projectinfinity.org.uk/doku.php/homebrew:games:pandorapanic
just instead of downloading the Penjin base code and the PandoraPanic framework and data from this page get it via SVN. You then should be able to follow the rest of the guide as written.

foxblock out

Just popped in to say, that I too am very much against cutting games out based on simplicity of graphics or anything of the sort. I'd love nothing (in the scope of this project) more than to see this project become a huge collection of most differing microgames concievable with all levels of graphical detail, complexity and style. The more the merrier. If something actually makes the game play badly (crashes, nigh-impossible on any difficulty, purely luck-based), then it can be held off from the release versions until fixed. I'm very glad about the stace PokeParadox has taken.

Ehhm, ive never used CB before, and i cant find where to fix this lil err
(followed the tut on the wiki)
Code:
Linking executable: bin\Release\Pandora\Penjin3D.pxf
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDL_mixer.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDL.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDL_ttf.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libfreetype.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libvorbisidec.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDL_gfx.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDL_image.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libSDLmain.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libts.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libpng12.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libpng.a: No such file or directory
mingw32-g++.exe: \usr\local\pandora\arm-2007q3\usr\lib\libz.a: No such file or directory
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

DroneB Dev said:
Code:
   Linking executable: binReleasePandoraPenjin3D.pxf
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_mixer.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_ttf.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibfreetype.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibvorbisidec.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_gfx.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_image.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDLmain.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibts.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibpng12.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibpng.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibz.a: No such file or directory
   0 errors, 0 warnings
Well you seem to work under linux which I don't do, so I do not guarantee anything of the following is correct...
To me it looks like it can't find the SDL libs. You probably have installed them into the correct folder as you followed the manual, but there are some things it does not cover:
  1. Make sure you have selected the correct build (in your case this should be Linux Release or Debug) - do this via Build->Select target
  2. If you have installed into the folders covered by the manual you may have to edit the build options
    1. Goto Project->Build options and select your build
    2. Check the "Linker settings" and "Search directories" tabs for any errors, incorrect paths, missing paths, etc.
    3. Goto Project->Properties->Build targets and check those options/paths (but there should not be any error there)
  3. Check the version of your Penjn code via SVN
Looking at the errors it seems that you try to compile for the Pandora, which obviously won't work, so the error may just be corrected by step 1
Anyway, maybe a Linux guy can correct me there ;)

foxblock out

Edit: Oh yeah, if there are any questions left (also regarding specific minigame code or general minigame creation), feel free to contact me via ICQ (for the # look at my profile page)

foxblock said:
DroneB Dev said:
Code:
   Linking executable: binReleasePandoraPenjin3D.pxf
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_mixer.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_ttf.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibfreetype.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibvorbisidec.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_gfx.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDL_image.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibSDLmain.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibts.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibpng12.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibpng.a: No such file or directory
   mingw32-g++.exe: usrlocalpandoraarm-2007q3usrliblibz.a: No such file or directory
   0 errors, 0 warnings
Well you seem to work under linux which I don't do, so I do not guarantee anything of the following is correct...
1. Under Linux, you wouldn't have "mingw32-g++.exe"; you would use "g++". So I really think that he's using Windows.
2. The compiler seems to be looking for a statically linked cross-compiled SDL library, so as foxblock said, you probably have a target issue.

well, that was one of the issues (also that the compressed file was missing some because it was damaged)

but now it keeps asking for SDL_Image.dll but it is placed right next to the executable so whats next?

solved that (stupid Win 7 having data transfer Bugs).

yet it opens and close on a blink.

are there any program execution flags? it is returning status 3

it seems that the binary on the wiki for W32 also has the same issue.

is there a SVN plugin for CB? or ill have to mantain it outside with the client?

dflemstr said:
1. Under Linux, you wouldn't have "mingw32-g++.exe"; you would use "g++". So I really think that he's using Windows.
Oh god, how could I overlook that :-||

DroneB Dev said:
yet it opens and close on a blink.

are there any program execution flags? it is returning status 3
Uhh, well that certainly should not happen, have you checked the stdout.txt and stderr.txt files (located in the directory of the Penjin executeable - "bin[Release or Debug]W32" by default)
Other than that, I am out of explanations...

Edit: Well you could start up the debugger (you will have to choose the W32 Debug build then) set a breakpoint in the main function and go step by step to the point where it crashes...
Editit: Searching the web brings up the following possible sources for your problem:
  • Your video card drivers are outdated
  • There is a problem with the installation of code blocks, especially the SDL libs (so maybe check the links in the build options again)
    • have you downloaded the required .dlls for Windows?
    • They have to go into the "build" directory as the exe located in bin/Release/W32 is run in this working directory
    • Check your linker settings ;)
  • There is a problem with the code calling the SDL functions (especially SDL_flip), but if you have not modified any of the PandoraPanic code this should not be the problem...

DroneB Dev said:
is there a SVN plugin for CB? or ill have to mantain it outside with the client?

Yeah I would like to know that, too as it get very annoying to edit the CB project every time an update is committed.
(Also check the edit of my last post)

hmm, nope XD it says:

Stdout:

Penjin says: No command line args provided.
Penjin found 0 joysticks!
Screen Info
800x480 BPP
Penjin says: No errors detected.

Stderr:

Empty

DroneB Dev said:
hmm, nope XD it says:

Stdout:

Penjin says: No command line args provided.
Penjin found 0 joysticks!
Screen Info
800x480 BPP
Penjin says: No errors detected.

Stderr:

Empty
Well it also should say:
Penjin says: Shutting Down.
Penjin says: Goodbye! ^_^

Have you tried debugging?
It sounds like there is a problem with the SDL linkage, but I am afraid I am not much of a help there... check if you really followed every step of the manual as this definitely should work...
Or Windows 7 is the problem after all as I am not sure whether this has been run in W7 yet (maybe try the XP/2000 compatibility/emulation mode)

followed and it stucks on

Engine.cpp:308: state->init();
yet i dont see anything it should stuck it
the funny thing is that the call itself fails not the inner code.

basestate.cpp:99
Code:
void BaseState::init()
{

#ifdef PENJIN_GL

#ifdef PENJIN3D
            GFX::init3DRendering(*xRes,*yRes);
        #else
            GFX::init2DRendering(*xRes,*yRes);
        #endif

#else
        // Do any setup here