Pandora Pandora Panic

B-ZaR said:
Nice work Gruso! The rotation sound should only play as long as the turret rotates, right? I'm not sure how to do that, so I'll just let PokeParadox here add them :)

OK I'll add the sounds! ;)

Anyway the main reason I'm posting here is because I implemented a nice feature:
wipppanicpreviews.png

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice feature indeed, i tested it and it's looking awesome :)

Off topic, also a nice feature that the background of memorise is looking like a dutch flag ;)

Did anyone else have trouble playing those turret FX? I just grabbed them from work and played them in VLC, they were really glitchy and empty sounding. "LOSE.ogg" wouldn't even play. But I fired them up in GOM Player and they sounded ace. Stupid VLC, you're outta here. GOM is great, try it.

Cool selection screen btw. As a bonus, it gives me a little insight into B-Zar's memory game. I guess we'll need the following sounds:

- Symbols appear (whoosh/ding/whatever)
- Symbols disappear (whoosh/ding/whatever)
- A blip/click/beep as each symbol is re-entered by the user
- Correct sound
- Incorrect sound

Does it let you enter all four symbols before it wins/fails, or does it fail you as soon as you enter a wrong one?

You just move the symbols up and down, you don't have to confirm them.
The game ends when the time runs out or the instant you match the last symbol correctly.(needs a short delay so you can see you've matched it... but not an urgent thing.)

MarkoeZ said:
Off topic, also a nice feature that the background of memorise is looking like a dutch flag ;)

Yeah, I attempted several color combinations, but they all looked like flags :D. In the end i just adjusted the color tones to ones no country would have in their flag :)
PokeParadox said:
You just move the symbols up and down, you don't have to confirm them.
The game ends when the time runs out or the instant you match the last symbol correctly.(needs a short delay so you can see you've matched it... but not an urgent thing.)
Yeah, it can and should be tweaked. No biggie, I wanted to release early to get early feedback (too easy? too hard? is it clear what you need to do?).

EDIT: Scratch this post from the records... Silly forum switching drama.

Please continue all further discussion here:http://forum.openpandora.org/viewforum.php?f=73
CODE
http://forum.openpandora.org/viewforum.php?f=73

This is due to the mass migration of the forums which is in effect.

PS request lock on this topic.

Just in case you missed it because of the forum drama, there were test builds uploaded 2 days ago. get them at the usual place on the wiki

Also a little update info can be read here.

And excuse the brevity of this post, but as usual I have to dash off to work soon! :/

Nice update! I'll try to test the new release later this week. In other news, my own game project (not thread-worthy yet) is also coming along nicely.

Well, since everybody is giving updates:

I've been slacking off a bit due to a lack of motivation (some personal issues). I've only been doing some very minor framework help and some small bugfixes on my own games. But i'm getting more active again :)

Currently i'm tidying up the Joust code (putting everything nicely in classes etc.) since it was a complete drama ;) Primary goal is to get an issue out, currently there is a slowdown on some machines.

BUT, i'm also getting the code ready for a fully featured, 2 player version of joust, that will be released independantly of PandoraPanic (i hope ; ). It will take some time, but once the code is more structured it should not be that difficult.

Cheers!

Just tried to play the latest win32 build, I tried the Debug build but it crashed my pc with a BSOD, I had that too with some other executables from Penjin but when I build the source myself it just works.... I didn't try to run the release build yet.

Dragons_Slayer posted on May 15 2009 at 10:05 AM said:
Just tried to play the latest win32 build, I tried the Debug build but it crashed my pc with a BSOD, I had that too with some other executables from Penjin but when I build the source myself it just works.... I didn't try to run the release build yet.
Woah... you shouldn't be getting blue screens and you're the only one that is so far. Penjin/PandoraPanic! doesn't do anything on a low enough level that would cause BSoD... weird...
I did build the latest exes in VirtualBox running XP but that shouldn't mean anything, it's still compiling valid x86 code...

Yeah but you never know with windows, just one specific driver or software that is running can cause the most stupid things, it's strange because I could play earlier builds without a problem, but I will check it out when I'm home.

I have sort of an idea for a minigame. Pac-Rat, an idea based on Pac-Man, with several twists in appearance and gameplay. However, I'm just learning C++ with SDL and I have no idea how to access any of the Pandora's hardware (analog nubs, buttons, etc.) so would it be okay to just write a mix of C++ with SDL and pseudocode in my development blog?

accessing the Pandora buttons is easy since I have written a mappable joystick object, SimpleJoy
CODE
// Refresh inputs
input->update();
#ifdef PLATFORM_PC
// Check for X box click
if(input->isQuit())
nullifyState();
#endif
// A button
if(input->isA())
{
// A button action
}

if(input->isLeft())
{
// go left
}

}

I'm not sure posting your pseudo code onto your blog will get your minigame made. I suggest you try and dive in head first and ask here when you get stuck. It's what many have done and have come out mainly unbruised! ;)

Okay. So I need to download the files "PandoraPanic! 25 04 2009" and "Penjin Base Code", and those will be all I need other than the SDL library, right?

Also, I'm probably not going to get an IDE and start programming until school is out. Is there any text-based source code I can go over until then? I learn best from seeing exactly what everything else does.

Please pardon my noobishness.

I'm pretty sure you can read all of the source files with a simple text editor. I'd start by looking over one of the simple games and backtracking it's function calls, etc.

Back