Pandora Packaging

Hooka said:
this isn't a game.com people...
The original run of the Game.com in the UK came in boxes. Quite large ones, at that - bigger than those used for the Game Boy and Game Gear, if memory serves. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
Hooka said:
this isn't a game.com people...
The original run of the Game.com in the UK came in boxes. Quite large ones, at that - bigger than those used for the Game Boy and Game Gear, if memory serves. :p

I have one of the last run Game.coms from the US (when they were dirt cheap and trying to get rid of them) and it came in a quite large box with a carrying handle.

Pandora packaging was discussed to some extant in this thread. The discussion got very silly very quickly though, which seems to be a running theme with this particular topic :p

NeX-Ferret said:
We don‘t all carry stuff like that. Try getting into school carrying that. :p
It's easy for me to forget that the world has completely lost it's marbles. We didn't have to worry about things like getting frisked when I was in school. Almost everyone had a pocket knife.

Kinda makes you wonder if schools are less safe because now kids can initiate fights without the worry of potentially getting knifed.

I'm all for minimalist packaging, but I'm one of those guys who keeps all his video game boxes in mint condition all piled up in a corner of the closet. :lol: I guess what I'm getting at is that, seeing as the Pandora box will go with my other treasured game boxes, it would be nice if that plain white box had the Pandora symbol on it or something of that nature.

I really liked the idea in the other thread of having the word 'hope' written on the bottom of the inside of the box. That would be a nice touch.

CyruzDraxs said:
I really liked the idea in the other thread of having the word 'hope' written on the bottom of the inside of the box. That would be a nice touch.
'Hope' is not a word I'd like to see when I've just purchased my £200 gaming console. :rolleyes:

randomhack said:
Craig and Co.
I dont know what kind of boxes you will ship Pandora in.
I plead you to use put Pandora in easy to open package.
Please dont use those god-awful hard to open plastic packages that much of the retail electronics comes in nowadays ( I am talking about the stupid hard plastic packages of flash cards, mp3 players and such that you find in stores). Please make the box easy to open. GP2x, PSP etc come in decent packages.
thanks,
randomhack
It's going to come in a big ass box that says CONDOMS INSIDE so your parents give you the talk.

PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:
'Hope' is not a word I'd like to see when I've just purchased my £200 gaming console. :rolleyes:

There are other four letter words that could be used, But they are probably not as clean or as family friendly. But would cause more excitment on opening the box than the word, Hope. :p

Trooper

PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:

But Pandora's box contained hope. :p That's why it was suggested. Visual punnery.

Prometheus said:
PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:

But Pandora's box contained hope. :p That's why it was suggested. Visual punnery.

Oh ok.
I never read that story.
Wasn't a bunch of demons and plagues and other bad stuff released when the box was opened?
If that's what the story is then print the inside of the box black for all those people who want a nod to the myth.
That'd be better then people (like me) who might get the wrong idea with having 'hope' there.

PlopperZ said:
Prometheus said:
PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:

Oh ok.
I never read that story.
Wasn't a bunch of demons and plagues and other bad stuff released when the box was opened?
If that's what the story is then print the inside of the box black for all those people who want a nod to the myth.
That'd be better then people (like me) who might get the wrong idea with having 'hope' there.

The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside. Hence, printing 'hope' on the bottom of the inside of the box--I think of it as symbolism of the hope that the Pandora brings to the open source community.

CyruzDraxs said:
The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside. Hence, printing 'hope' on the bottom of the inside of the box--I think of it as symbolism of the hope that the Pandora brings to the open source community.
Thus the box should have a crappy proprietary software launcher that is triggered when the box is first opened. :p

CyruzDraxs said:
The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside.

That's what's always bugged me about this myth. Letting out the evils was bad, but managing to keep hope inside is supposed to be good.

However -- letting the evils out released them into the world, so everyone suffers from them.
But hope is still sealed within the jar, so they don't even get the benefit of that!

Evil without hope! Damnit woman, open the jar again!

There's actually a debate about the meaning of that. Some say that hope was preserved, kept intact in that jar for human kind to come.

PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:

Hahahahaha, nice one.

But I do like that "hope" idea

Back