Pandora Packaging

It wouldnt really bother me about what packaging it came in.
Although there is something quite satisfying about slowly opening a box and sliding out a new piece of kit !

PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:
I really liked the idea in the other thread of having the word 'hope' written on the bottom of the inside of the box. That would be a nice touch.
'Hope' is not a word I'd like to see when I've just purchased my £200 gaming console. :rolleyes:

"Hope" is not too bad. It's when words like "all" and "abandon" are there as well that you have to start worrying...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kagato said:
CyruzDraxs said:
The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside.

That's what's always bugged me about this myth. Letting out the evils was bad, but managing to keep hope inside is supposed to be good.

However -- letting the evils out released them into the world, so everyone suffers from them.
But hope is still sealed within the jar, so they don't even get the benefit of that!

Evil without hope! Damnit woman, open the jar again!
From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Works_and_Days:QUOTE
There is some debate about the simple and obvious translation of "elpis" as "hope". Some scholars argue that is really should be translated as "expectation" since the root word is from "suppose". And in this context it is argued that what was left in the jar was not Hope as we know it, but the "expectation of ills" so that Man would be unpleasently surprised by ills that befell him instead of expecting them.
That could be the answer, why keeping it was good. If you don't expect the bad things, you will be less worried about them, I guess...

Karel Jansens said:
"Hope" is not too bad. It's when words like "all" and "abandon" are there as well that you have to start worrying...
The best by far must be getting the parcel, slowly opening the box and finding the words "April fool!" printed inside.

Squidge said:
The best by far must be getting the parcel, slowly opening the box and finding the words "April fool!" printed inside.
Or getting hit by a boxing glove on a spring.

boxing_glove.jpg

Kagato said:
CyruzDraxs said:
The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside.

That's what's always bugged me about this myth. Letting out the evils was bad, but managing to keep hope inside is supposed to be good.

However -- letting the evils out released them into the world, so everyone suffers from them.
But hope is still sealed within the jar, so they don't even get the benefit of that!

Evil without hope! Damnit woman, open the jar again!
The story of Pandora's Box is often interpreted as meaning that Hope is a double edged sword in that it can sometimes not be fulfilled. But Hope is still important to humans, so it was a necessary evil to hold on to. The other evils, however; are only a hindrance to humans, so freeing them--though causing some obvious problems--allowed us access to the Hope that was beneath it in the jar. It's one of those 'can't have good without evil' kind of themes.

CyruzDraxs said:
PlopperZ said:
Prometheus said:
PlopperZ said:
CyruzDraxs said:
I really liked the idea in the other thread of having the word 'hope' written on the bottom of the inside of the box. That would be a nice touch.
'Hope' is not a word I'd like to see when I've just purchased my £200 gaming console. :rolleyes:

But Pandora's box contained hope. :p That's why it was suggested. Visual punnery.

Oh ok.
I never read that story.
Wasn't a bunch of demons and plagues and other bad stuff released when the box was opened?
If that's what the story is then print the inside of the box black for all those people who want a nod to the myth.
That'd be better then people (like me) who might get the wrong idea with having 'hope' there.

The story of Pandora's Box was that Pandora opened a pithos (A type of jar, mistranslated as a box) that contained all the evils of mankind—greed, vanity, slander, lying, envy, pining—and hope. The evils of mankind escaped, but she closed it quick enough to keep Hope inside. Hence, printing 'hope' on the bottom of the inside of the box--I think of it as symbolism of the hope that the Pandora brings to the open source community.

That really does sound like a good idea.

-God Ginrai

Back