Pandora Outside?

Karel Jansens

Website
Visit site
Just a quick question from a newbie: Will Pandora's screen be daylight-visible? You know? The kind of screen that I can use on a tropical beach?

Or rather, the kind of screen I'm imagining myself using on a tropical beach...

I hope so to. An Anti-Glare-Screen should it be, non reflective surface and usable outdoors. :)
But AFAIK ther is no information yet. I also want to know the reaction Time of the LCD Screen. It should be as good as the GP2X Screen, which means Sonic the Hedgehog In Full Speed without blurring and without ghosting.

It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.

Here are a few more specs on the display:

- brightness: 300 cd/m2
- contrast ratio: 450:1
- response time: tr + tf=30ms

EDIT: This means no ghosting! I don't know what Sony was thinking with that PSP screen.

MWeston said:
It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.

EDIT: This means no ghosting! I don't know what Sony was thinking with that PSP screen.
AFAIK the N810 uses a transflective screen. Transflective would have been a "nice to have" but it's not all that common anyway so it's not that big of a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
MWeston said:

Isn't 30 ms like dog slow these days though? The average HDTV LCD is 16 ms. The GP2X screen is 25 ms.

The PSP screen must be about 1 sec response time.

DaveC said:
MWeston said:
Isn't 30 ms like dog slow these days though? The average HDTV LCD is 16 ms. The GP2X screen is 25 ms.

Is 5 MILLIseconds going to really make a big difference??? Are humans even aware of a gap that fast? lol

DaveC said:
MWeston said:

This is total response for a pixel to go from black to white and then to black again. The response time for the pixel to just change color is 15ms, the PSP was between 40 and 50ms.

Yrx said:
DaveC said:
MWeston said:

Is 5 MILLIseconds going to really make a big difference??? Are humans even aware of a gap that fast? lol

The answer to that is probably yes. I used to be the guy who says "We can't see more than 30 frames a second anyway, so why try getting higher?!" but I've since had to admit that I was wrong in light of some interesting demo applications I was shows that would show me with a split screen the difference between any FPS I could want. While I could conclude that there was a definite difference between 30 and 100, anything above that gets too fast for me at least to see much of a difference.

So since I could see a difference between 30 and 35 fps (a 50 ms difference), I would suppose there IS a difference. BUT, I think 30 is probably fine for a handheld, especially considering the PSP.

Ravnos said:
AFAIK the N810 uses a transflective screen. Transflective would have been a "nice to have" but it's not all that common anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
The N810 claims to have a transflexive screen. There are just as many rumours that Nokia sneakily turned the backlight up and pulled a fast one on everyone.

Still, transflexive would have been nice. I sure do appreciate it on my three year old Sony Ericsson P910i. ;)

Magnulus said:
Yrx said:
DaveC said:
MWeston said:

The answer to that is probably yes. I used to be the guy who says "We can't see more than 30 frames a second anyway, so why try getting higher?!" but I've since had to admit that I was wrong in light of some interesting demo applications I was shows that would show me with a split screen the difference between any FPS I could want. While I could conclude that there was a definite difference between 30 and 100, anything above that gets too fast for me at least to see much of a difference.

So since I could see a difference between 30 and 35 fps (a 50 ms difference), I would suppose there IS a difference. BUT, I think 30 is probably fine for a handheld, especially considering the PSP.

a 30 ms response time doesn't mean that games will run at 30 fps on Pandora, I'm not sure how you got that.

I believe he was referring to the commonly touted "30fps barrier" (beyond which many people don't believe they can perceive any improvement in frame rates) as a comparison to differences in display response rate.

the application where you can really notice the fps is where there is very rapid movement in a short amount of time. The example I was given is in a first person shooter, you turn around 180 degrees as fast as you can the difference between each static frame on the screen that you are shown is great enough that you can notice. Also 30fps on celluloid film is different than 30fps on a screen because on celluloid there is a naturally inbuilt tween between two frames because of the mechanical way the film moves. If there was a tiny bit of a blur then 30fps would look more like 100fps to our brains.

Karel Jansens said:
Ravnos said:
The N810 claims to have a transflexive screen. There are just as many rumours that Nokia sneakily turned the backlight up and pulled a fast one on everyone.

Still, transflexive would have been nice. I sure do appreciate it on my three year old Sony Ericsson P910i. ;)

I can verify that it does indeed have a transflective screen. If you turn the backlight all the way off, then sit in sunlight with the N810, stuff CAN be read, albeit with horribly low color saturation.

This was also tested with Debian before they got the ambient light sensor implemented (if they have yet).

I think it's more that we're just eager to bring up and discuss ANYTHING about the Pandora, even if it's the most trivial and pointless of topics. The latest threads here haven't been very compelling and tend to just ask questions that have been asked ten thousand times before.

At least this is bringing up an old thread, instead of creating a new one for it!

Best get everyone over to IRC and away from the forums... but IRC doesn't seem to be down with the kiddies these days *sigh*

PlopperZ said:
Does no one realize that this thread is over a year old?
I just about cried when I saw the dates. :(

gadgetoid said:
At least this is bringing up an old thread, instead of creating a new one for it!
Once it gets into gravedigging territory, it is better to start a new topic and reference the old topic.

-God Ginrai

Back