Pandora Or Wiz I Just Dont Know

Yeah, the Cortex is quite significantly faster.

I'll get both, and dev for both. I want to write stuff for ARM, but don't want to get stuck to one specific platform, so having a GP2X, Pandora, and Wiz will make me flex my brain muscles to get stuff working on all three. I will only code some stuff for the Pandora, in order to take advantage of the extra horsepower, though.

The Wiz is tempting, but I ultimately decided to stay on the Pandora ship until it gets delayed past 2008. The better controls and prospect of online gaming is a big deal to me, and Pandora just offers little intrinsic things that are so cool (tethering a phone via BT to view the internet anywhere, use a keyboard/mouse setup, extra controllers for multiplayer, etc.)

Ultimately, though, I think it comes down to your interest in games. I really wanna get into some more text-based adventure games I never played when I was younger, as well as play some more high-level arcade games and proper PSX. Of course, I'll be rockin' out the 8 and 16 bit as well. However, my friend, who is also a gamer, wants to get into older games more, as he really only started playing seriously around the PSX era, so I think the Wiz will be a good system for "game education", just as the original Guitar Heroes introduced younger kids to good music.

At least, that's how I look at it.

EvilDragon said:
Well, I did post a comparison yesterday at the German boards... I'll translate it here :)
As I've seen both systems, I can compare them pretty good.

2. Display: Pandora has a higher resolution, WIZ is - thanks to OLED - much brighter.
If you're outside very often and don't need a higher resolution (i.e. for playing some games, etc.), the WIZ is well better for you in that aspect.
If you need a higher resolution (i.e. for internet, etc.) but are using it inside a room most of the time, the Pandora is way better suited.

Thanks for the comparison ED, really helpful. I think the screen will be its best feature then. I have had more than a few gadgets, and none of them were really usable in the outside.
Is it even possible to play it when it is a bright sunny day? If so I'm shifting towards buying a Wiz also.. (I will definitely get a Pandora)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, regarding the screen, is it going to be have brightness closer to the original GBA SP, or the Mark II? (i know that the sp 1 was frontlit, and the 2 was backlit, i just want to know which brightness level it APPEARS closer to)

PoisionedV do you forget? one of the archos models has the pandora screen already... go look at it in person is way better than pictures and way than words etc...

Wiz first and may a Pandora later if it turns out as perfect in every way as its meant to be.

I just cant help to think that to some extent the Pandora maybe overkill*... if it went commercial and some massive games company got hold of it I bet they could make some games around the visual quality of say a PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast etc but no offence, alot of homebrew is more basic

*naturally I'm talking games wise, handy if you want to run a fully fledged Linux OS or emulate a PSX/N64 etc

Dynamight: that power could be very useful when porting Linux games, however...

I think you'll see some pretty amazing 3D stuff on Pandora, and with the controls to take advantage of it.

No system coming out will change my resolve to get a Pandora, I will be in the first batch if possible. However, I am considering getting a Wiz as well, because I'd like to see how well this crazy dual dpad design works. Not to mention, having another system on hand is always nice, for say if the battery died on the other, or to keep someone busy.

-God Ginrai

i still am not sure
if zod pulls off n64 emulation i'm in for pandora
if they get commercial games support or if some amazing homebrew games come out i'm in
but i will never get a WIZ just because the control scheme is absolutely retarded
i can't imagine any game that will work better with that (well it might work better for emulating dual analog sticks but besides PSX and some homebrew the wiz hardly plays those)

Back