Pandora - Obsolete?

nice find man. could you give me the address where i can order my 4.3 inch screen diagonal, clamshell pocketable handheld console with the tegra 2, please?

The best alternative of the Pandora is a DS2 , which will take several months to come out and wont support homebrew, no full linux and probably wont have dual nubs.
There are no other good alternatives.

coisbot said:
HDMI output would allow me to say, go over to my friend's house, whip out my Pandora, and show him some new TV show I'm crazy about (like that crazy new Spartacus show).
I'm sure you'd be happier whipping something else out and showing it to your friend. But I'm sure it would be obsolete as well, if it was ever used.

Last edited by a moderator:
1080p isn't suitable at this moment in time:

1. The Pandora screen resolution is 800x480, so it is going to have to scale down a large amount.

2. The size of a 1080p film is what, ~8GB, it'd take quite a while to transfer that onto a normal price SD card, and also take up a good chunk of space.

3. Most mobile providers, in the UK at least, have caps on how much internet you can use, typically well under 1 GB, so attempting to acquire any 1080p content while tethered would not work very well.

4. The mobile network doesn't appear to be high speed everywhere, and when it falls back to plain 3G it is far too slow to make 1080p content possible.

So really, it'd almost be like buying a laptop that is able to play 4320p content, okay it ticks a box saying the hardware can do that, but that is more or less all you are paying the money for, a ticked box.

That said, it the Pandora does well, and another Pandora device should come into life a number of years down the road, it'll probably be more powerful than the thing linked to in this thread! I think we can all agree that time pretty much does not exist, therefore Pandora still wins, somehow!

Steve

The pandy will be obsolete when the pandy 2 comes out, or someone releases a pandy clone 2 :p

Edit
Actually it will never be obsolete as long as people develop for and use it :D

Unless there will be something with the same dimensions, game control and keyboard the Pandora is not obsolete.
When some chinese firm will make a similar and cheaper device (something like a dingoo with better specs and keyboard) that might change peoples minds.
I am not in the "will never cancel" camp, but I doubt we will see something like a Pandora in the near future.

Everybody has got their own reason to buy one though, so the longer it takes, the more chance there is to lose some customers. For now, still waiting patiently for mine.

Line O said:
I disagree.

Six posts in total - four of them in this thread.
A thread made to say "This is one of the reasons I believe the Pandora is actually becoming pretty obsolete" in a forum full of people who've been waiting up to years for the device - and have put their money where their desire is.
Hasn't ordered one. Doesn't want one.
Complains now about features that were never part of the design (HDMI).

Or do you think he's just trying to convince us all how silly we're being out of his altruistic nature?

Being ignorant does not automatically he's a troll, no. But it certainly makes it easier for him to be one when he's deciding how to make his point.
I wasn't suggesting that he definitely wasn't a troll, just saying that, since we don't know his intent, we can't say he definitely IS a troll either.
Some people are just stupid and think they really are being helpful. I've met such people in person.

If you think the Pandora is obsolete, and have no intention of ever owning one, then what exactly are you doing on this board?

WizardStan said:
Line O said:
I disagree.

Six posts in total - four of them in this thread.
A thread made to say "This is one of the reasons I believe the Pandora is actually becoming pretty obsolete" in a forum full of people who've been waiting up to years for the device - and have put their money where their desire is.
Hasn't ordered one. Doesn't want one.
Complains now about features that were never part of the design (HDMI).

Or do you think he's just trying to convince us all how silly we're being out of his altruistic nature?

Being ignorant does not automatically mean he's a troll, no. But it certainly makes it easier for him to be one when he's deciding how to make his point.
I wasn't suggesting that he definitely wasn't a troll, just saying that, since we don't know his intent, we can't say he definitely IS a troll either.
Some people are just stupid and think they really are being helpful. I've met such people in person.

1. I'm disappointed in myself I'm continuing in this odd little side-conversation; I'll stop after this one. :)
2. I'll concede I was probably reacting more to the effect of his ignorance, rather than the intent - and intent is a prerequisite for being a proper troll, granted. I'll just write him off as stupid, misinformed and ignorant. That'll get me through the night.
3. No hard feelings, WizardStan - after all, you're one of my "Hey, his posts might actually be worth reading" peeps on these forums. No, you didn't say he definitely wasn't a troll, and you may have been speaking generically, but if you come out with the comment
WizardStan said:
I really wish people would stop throwing that word around. It spoils the meaning when used where it doesn't actually apply.
immediately after I use the term, it's not unlikely I'm going to take it personally and feel a need to defend my position.

On-topic, the Pandora won't be obsolete until something else replaces/improves upon all of its functionality. If someone is measuring obsolescence solely on the chipset used... then that person has a view of the world that's gonna have him upset more than not. Open your mind or GTFO (as it were).

Line O said:
3. No hard feelings, WizardStan - after all, you're one of my "Hey, his posts might actually be worth reading" peeps on these forums. No, you didn't say he definitely wasn't a troll, and you may have been speaking generically, but if you come out with the comment
WizardStan said:
I really wish people would stop throwing that word around. It spoils the meaning when used where it doesn't actually apply.
immediately after I use the term, it's not unlikely I'm going to take it personally and feel a need to defend my position.
Sorry, you're right, I was a little quick on the draw there. :)

Line O said:
I'll just write him off as stupid, misinformed and ignorant.

*facepalm*

Here is my advice: The next time you think you've spotted a troll, click "sign out" in the top right corner and wait till it's over ;)

The Pandora is more than the sum of its CPU and display.
She is a well balanced model. Size is everything. There are faster CPUs but do these draw the same levels of power?
The battery with its +/- 10 hours life is a important part of the design. Having a pocket Cray with 2Hrs battery life would be like going back to the gp2x days.
The very reason my sits unused in a draw.

No the Pandora is not obsolete and the fact the big boys are only just matching the spec is testament to that. Of course, the sooner we have one in our hands, the cooler it will be.

I think you need to dig up and old Pandora-2 topic and post there. Then you can get flamed for grave-digging instead. :)

I just found out about the Pandora, I don't think it's obsolete FOR WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR. Are desktop computers obsolete because laptops have come out? No. Are bikes obsolete because cars have come out? No. I'm still going to wait for the Pandora 2 to come out, but that is because I always buy at least 2nd gen. products.

Ranting/venting is not automatically trolling :|

He probably really did think that Tegra 2 wasn't common knowledge around here.

I'm with WizardStan 100% on this. I find the "ignore the troll" responses to be really disrespectful.

may88 said:
The battery with its +/- 10 hours life is a important part of the design. Having a pocket Cray with 2Hrs battery life would be like going back to the gp2x days.

I dunno, +10 hours is all good but I'd rather not be on the -10 hours side of that ;D

CokeCanNinja said:
I just found out about the Pandora, I don't think it's obsolete FOR WHAT IT IS DESIGNED FOR. Are desktop computers obsolete because laptops have come out? No. Are bikes obsolete because cars have come out? No. I'm still going to wait for the Pandora 2 to come out, but that is because I always buy at least 2nd gen. products.

Did you mean the 2nd batch, or really a new Pandora design? This would be equivalent to saying you wouldn't buy a PlayStation, but would rather wait for the PS2. You could almost say the Pandora is "2nd generation" to the GP devices, being a combination of improvement over these devices and community input into the design. But then again, I somewhat feel a bit like waiting for "2.0" of many things, as I don't often hop onto bandwagons before knowing that something will really catch on a be a quality product (3D TV, anyone?)

the playstation 3 and the xbox360 are obsolete shit, just buy a hexacore i7 with 24GB of ram, 4 HD5890 in crossfire, 2 wireless joysticks, a bloogay drive, and you have something way more powerfull than those consoles. /not sarcasm

seriously. my Prescott 3GHz HT with 4GB of DDR RAM has been my friend since 2004, and still its fast enought to be my main desktop (waiting for the Phenom II x6 so i can use pcsx2 :p ) and no, it's not obsolete, the software should be because of all the bloat it has.

I get freaked out every time someone mentions a Pandora 2. I really hope there are no plans for one, since that would insta-kill dev on the Pandora. For example - when the GP2X came out, development on the GP32 died. Since the release of the Wiz and the Dingoo, GP2X dev has slowed a fair bit.

I certainly hope they're not thinking about a Pandora 2 for at least another 3 or 4 years...

Regarding hardware power, maybe.
But I'm buying the pandora because of its form, its possibilities, and its openness.
So it could be obsolete for some, but that's a absolute hit for me and for long.

People think that it's all about the power. The Pandora will probably never be obsolete because there's nothing out there that looks, works and feels like it. At least not within a near future. What's under the "bonnet" is another question.

Alerino said:

EDIT 3: bottom line - if you are not into retrogaming, Pandora is not really for you

Genesis/SNES/NES/Ps1/DC/N64 Yeah!! >.>

Back