Nvidia Tegra/csx

R

randomhack

Check out the specs on nvidia's official site : www.nvidia.com/tegra
Specifically see the CSX 650 and CSX 600.
CSX 650 is 800mhz ARM11 core with 1080p video decode.
The SoC includes opengl 2.0 ES graphics though I could not find any other details.

This is what Nvidia says : "Tegra 600 Series products are true computers-on-a-chip in a package smaller than a US dime. With advanced multimedia functionality and low-power design, the Tegra 600 Series will power the next-generation of visual computing on Microsoft Windows Mobile and CE-based mobile internet devices (MIDs)."

Can anyone shed light on how it competes with OMAP35xx?

randomhack said:
Can anyone shed light on how it competes with OMAP35xx?
Sure- I'll venture an educated WAG on this one... ;)

They're using an SOC with an ARM11 with their GPU and some fixed function decode assist pieces for MPEG2/4/h.264 (based on the take-away from their specs I got...).

Based on this:

The CPU is just shy of half the power of ours (ARMv6 versus ARMv7 superscalar...).

The GPU may/may not be in the same class as ours. Depends on what they did to get it down to the same power levels.

They don't have a powerful DSP/FP engine to help out with computations above and beyond video decode and picture decompression.

Based on current guestimates (you can't be sure until the things are fielded...)- Pandora will weigh in as half again to twice again more powerful as the NVidia SOC based devices based on what's known at this time. It'll all depend on what exactly you're trying to do with the SOC- if they're doing something that's not CPU bound and is GPU bound, it may edge us out by a bit (This is supposition...).

All in all, I think the community and TI's going to be the first out with the "real deal", which is all that really matters to me. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The specs sound interesting, especialy: "Integrated media processor for over 100 hours audio and 10 hours HD video playback" :)
But I don't see detailed specs of a possible 3D Graphic accelerator or OpenGL skills etc. Hm... strange for a Company like NVidia, they would put a GeForce even in a Toaster...if they would build Toasters :D

What do the Experts here think about these new Chipset?

EDIT: ah, there are the specs: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra_csx.html
DANGER! Possible Pandora competitor because of OPENGL ES 2.0 :ph34r:

Damn, this Device on top of the Side has a NICE illuminated Keyboard...NO!...must...resist...dont...want to like...Nvidias new Ideas... :-||"

EDIT2: OK, that's what I call heavy marketing :lol: :

nvidia051444d956eq5.jpg

Nice to see a company explicitly pushing an ARM against Atom as well, but 10x as powerful? What? How?

Exophase said:
Nice to see a company explicitly pushing an ARM against Atom as well, but 10x as powerful? What? How?
I'm not particularly impressed with the Atom, but I can't see how the ARM in the Tegra's going to be 10x as powerful either. Perhaps they mean the ARM + GPU in the Tegra compared to an Atom + Poulsbo support chip combo?

fusion_power said:
EDIT: ah, there are the specs: http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra_csx.html
DANGER! Possible Pandora competitor because of OPENGL ES 2.0 :ph34r:

Actually, another device using OpenGL 2.0 ES would potentially be very very good for Pandora, especially since it's an ARM device. Basically, it means two things.

First: If Pandora comes out first (very likely), then prospective devs for Tegra might trial their software on Pandora as a cheap devkit - they're not the same CPU, but they're both ARM, and they both have OpenGL ES 2.0 acceleration. Given that the Cortex is more powerful, it would be sensible, then, to try and get software targetted at Tegra running on Pandora at ~300-400MHz instead of 600, which means if those programs ever see the light of day, then we get optimized, probably commercial level, software for our favourite prospective handheld device of wonder.

Second: In any event, Tegra is likely to get some mainstream attention, and consequently, some nice programs developed for it. Programs which should (because of OpenGL 2.0 ES) forward port very easily to Pandora (since we have more hardware than them), meaning that the crucial job of persuading companies that Pandora is commercially viable to develop for is made a LOT easier - after all, if it's just a matter of a recompile, then you almost get a second platform for free, no matter that you may only sell 400 copies of whatever it is you're selling.

Basically: provided we have more bang than them in some crucial areas (which it looks like we will - DSP and CotexA8), Tegra should only help Pandora, and vice versa...

Back