Possible Charging Bug? Just Had This Happen.

*double checks his Panda*
I powered on without being plugged in, and let it boot to XFCE. Then I plugged it in to the charger, charging light came on and it IS charging. Sounds like a problem with your unit/charger?

The charger works fine. Are you sure yours is charging?

After all, the light on mine does come on, but the battery-bar remains green (it should be uncoloured when charging), and the percentage will keep dropping unless I reboot.

Yeah mine is charging, its gone from 79% -> 82% in the past 10 min. The battery bar is colourless and the battery meter is 00:00.

Strangely, it won't let me connect to my home wireless anymore, it keeps trying and then kicking me back to the password screen.

Curious. :blink:

I'm going to investigate this some more and see if it happens every time or not, I think.

Curious it is. Does your wireless turn on first boot?

Edit: hah, fancy that. I reboot with the power plugged in, and now it connects on the first go! I'll see if I can reproduce THAT bug :D

Tried plugging in again after cold boot, mine definitely charges properly. Strangely (thankfully), wifi is also working this time around. :)

Prometheus said:
To that end, I still don't know whether this is to be expected, or whether I should be reporting it as a bug. :p
I think we have some semantic issues to be cleared up.

A bug is a problem with the software (or hardware) which is related to the design (or code) being bad or incomplete. A bug is not the same as having FAULTY hardware which is not the same as the other hardware. If you find a bug, it should be possible for other people to reproduce it, and it should be logged in the bug tracker so the dev team can fix it when they feel like it.

What you are describing seems not to be a bug, since it is (presumably) just your unit which is faulty. I don't think anyone else has reliably reproduced this yet. I know I have occasionally plugged the charger into my pandora and it has not charged, but I can't reliably confirm that the cause was not that the charger does not fit well in the adaptor I was using at the time.

I do feel a battery logging cron job might be interesting though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the explanation, but I've known what a bug is since I was about six years old and what a fault is since long before that. ;)

What I am trying to ascertain is whether others have also encountered it, as it has not always occurred with either my first unit or my current one. What makes me wonder whether it is software related, is because the hardware is (seemingly) clearly behaving as it should be, since the charging light always comes on and the charging always continues after a reboot when this behaviour occurs. :p

It could be a bug with some rare set of conditions that you seem to have satisfied. Did it do the same right from the start (fresh flash) do you remember? You may have since installed something or set some setting that no one thought would cause a problem but apparently is.

I noticed it only on the day that I originally posted this thread, so it definitely wasn't present since the beginning. It doesn't seem to happen every time, from my testing so far (my battery is fully-charged right now, so I can't try more just yet).

The only differences between mine and a stock flash are that I keep WiFi disabled at boot, I followed a few of SomeGuy99's guides (screenshots, hotkeys, and installing Murrine so I could add a new Xfce theme), and I link to two images on my main SD Card (one 800x480 PNG for my desktop background, and one 512x512 PNG icon for a Firefox launcher that I added to the panel). (EDIT: Also I have the TV-style gamma setting set. :p)

Also worthy of note, is that the battery behaves 100% correctly - it's definitely aligned properly, and it will only lose one-half to one percent if left alone overnight (the battery on my original unit would lose about two to three percent under the same circumstances). I'm aware that others can lose more, and that odd behaviour results from misalignment, which is why I'm making note of this here, pre-emptively. :p

I've been having problems charging too. Just now the charging light would not come on no matter how many times I plugged/unplugged. I eventually got it back by removing the plug, shutting down, removing the battery, reinserting the battery, and plugging in again. Shutting down with the charger plugged in didn't bring it back. We'll see if it actually charges now.

Pro, I never had any such issue with either of my units when using a mains charger. I too have WiFi disabled on boot, and, on my old unit, had a background loading from an SD card.

mali said:
^ Try a PSP charger or charging via USB, maybe the Pandora charger is borked.

Been switching between stock and PSP charger for a while now.

Surely enough though, it did eventually charge up to 100% after enough restarting and putting in low power mode for long enough. Can't really explain it - maybe it was lowering the temperature of the room? It was really hot in this room (heat wave -_- ) until I opened the patio door and turned on the fan. I've heard things from MWeston about keeping the temperature low, and it was probably > 30 C, but surely being that instead of 20-25 doesn't make it unable to charge???

^ That's interesting, maybe the temperature sensing for the battery is not calibrated correctly.
The first step would be to read out the temperature when it refuses to charge.
http://pandorawiki.org/Data_provided_by_Battery_and_Power_driver

Exophase said:
mali said:
^ Try a PSP charger or charging via USB, maybe the Pandora charger is borked.

Been switching between stock and PSP charger for a while now.

Surely enough though, it did eventually charge up to 100% after enough restarting and putting in low power mode for long enough. Can't really explain it - maybe it was lowering the temperature of the room? It was really hot in this room (heat wave -_- ) until I opened the patio door and turned on the fan. I've heard things from MWeston about keeping the temperature low, and it was probably > 30 C, but surely being that instead of 20-25 doesn't make it unable to charge???
I've been having similar charging issues. My P is currently sitting in low power mode, screen off and appears to be charging correctly. I'm got to wait 'til it hits 100% then move back to my other battery & do the same thing. There is deffo a charging 'issue'.

I have charging problem too. I'm not sure if it is related, but before settle new thread I try it here :)

Pandora mine charging good - from bundled charger. But today I try charge it by mobile phone charger (mini USB B plug), but have no response on plug/unplug charger. Phone charger is OK as I use it for charging phone. I is Motorola with output 5 V / 850 mA. This is charger bundled with Motorola BT headset, so maybe too low current?

When I plug it to Pandora, I can't see any response from OS (still time to go displayed), nor charging LED lit. If I use standard (bundled) charger (with round plug) it charging as expected.

I try another one mini USB B charger at home (I have 2 spare - I broke my Motorola phone last week ;( ) as the second one can get more current (it was an original bundled with phone).

Back