Pandora makes strange sounds.

ChaosWarmech

So I noticed the other night when it was really quiet that my pandora makes small ticking noises. Is this the processor?

And I also noticed that when I start a video in VLC it makes a sound somewhat similar to a degauss when the video first starts, What causes this noise?

Last edited by a moderator:
My unit also gives out those degauss sounds sometimes. I've yet to notice any particular situation that trigger this behaviour. Totally random as far as I have noticed.

I don't know what causes it, but I do know that it seems to only be present in some units - my previous three didn't do this, but my current one does. I can only assume it arises due to some natural variations in manufacturing. :p

Mine can be heard to do this from the moment it's powered on, and it makes sounds whenever the CPU is doing something (it sounds almost like a radiation meter or some other such thing). Other users who have this report only getting it when the WiFi on their unit is on.

Mine can be heard to do this from the moment it's powered on, and it makes sounds whenever the CPU is doing something (it sounds almost like a radiation meter or some other such thing). Other users who have this report only getting it when the WiFi on their unit is on.
I thought it could be the wifi, but didn't turn it off to check. It sounds similar to a Pentium 4 chugging away which is why I assumed it's the processor.

The degauss sound is what really has me confused. :scratches head:

the processor won't make any noise, not even a pentium 4 (you're thinking of the noise a mechanical drive makes :p )

what you're hearing is most probably a capacitor, certain clocks/etc will cause resonances in the things and they'll make noises, usually a sort of high pitched squeal while charging in laptops and such

If Audio is not used for a while, the amp switches itself of which makes a short noise (saves battery :) )

When you start audio playing, it turns itself on again, making a small plop.

The other sound (when accessing SD Cards, for example) happens on some units (mine as well), but I have no idea when and why.

As it's low volume and is off when not accessing the SD Card, I ignore it.

I kinda like it, sounds a bit like a harddisk. You always know if something accesses your SD Card :D

If Audio is not used for a while, the amp switches itself of which makes a short noise (saves battery :) )

When you start audio playing, it turns itself on again, making a small plop.

The other sound (when accessing SD Cards, for example) happens on some units (mine as well), but I have no idea when and why.

As it's low volume and is off when not accessing the SD Card, I ignore it.

I kinda like it, sounds a bit like a harddisk. You always know if something accesses your SD Card :D
Ahh, that makes sense. I don't think I've heard the noise of it switching off, but definitely have heard the 'plop' when it turns back on.

When I get home I'll check if it still makes the noises with SD cards removed and WiFi off.

EDIT: Ticking only happens when WiFi is on.

[…]

EDIT: Ticking only happens when WiFi is on.

IIRC it's the large capacitor used for the wifi chipset that cause those noises. (or something like that)

I remember my first laptop with integrated wifi, I was able to listen to the hard drive, the wifi chipset and the processor activity in the speakers
laugh.gif

The headphone line had a better shielding, the hard drive was the only thing still interfering, but barely audible.

Back