Pandora Logo?

craigix said:
I really like some of these, remember to use fonts which are not copyrighted.
Usually just the font's code (truetype, postscript, whatever) is copyrighted, but AFAIK there's no copyright on the actual design of a font, so you're free to use them in a design or whatever. Most fonts are still just copied out of old books and digitized anyway :D

so all of those "not for commercial use" notices and the like are really just BS. but you run the risk of pissing off the designer, or the typographic community. so to avoid the inevitable scathing blog post, i would recommend the following:

(a) do more than just use the type...play around with kerning, adjust individual characters, create ligatures (notice what i did with the R and A on mine, not saying it's great but that's the general idea) or just make the thing from scratch. as long as the logo is a design unto itself, more than just a typeface, then no one will complain.

(b ) use a commercial font...they're usually of higher quality anyway.

but yeah all in all it doesn't matter much, using the font in a design is not the same as redistributing the computer file. the laws may have changed recently with the new US & EU copyright directives, i will have to check on that. but generally as long as you didn't steal the font file (you paid for it or it was free) then you're golden.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
I'm interested in your ideas for what the official pandora website should look like too, friendly & simple? Geeky? etc.
Personally I like clean sites with a flash player slide show. Something like the wii.com site. You could also give it a more "indie" look and feel, like the guys from lugradio have done http://www.lugradio.org/.

Alex. said:
Here's something different from my first idea:
03.png

Best one yet.

Nova said:

Can you try doing that in a gothic font?

panlayout1.jpg

panlayout2.jpg

Awesome! The flattened-out look suits these logos much better. I get the feeling 1 of these will "win" :lol:

Evilwallpaper:
That box design is highly enjoyable, I must say. The text looks good, too. Could use a little work on the spacing between the letters, but that's nitpicking.
It reminds me of something I've seen before... I can't remember what, though.

I can't overstate just how impressed I am with what people have been coming up with during the course of this thread so far. Really, people. Awesome work!

Magnulus said:
Evilwallpaper:
That box design is highly enjoyable, I must say. The text looks good, too. Could use a little work on the spacing between the letters, but that's nitpicking.
It reminds me of something I've seen before... I can't remember what, though.

I can't overstate just how impressed I am with what people have been coming up with during the course of this thread so far. Really, people. Awesome work!
I really like the box idea of evilwallpaper too! a great symbol! well done.

My proposals:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/occasiary/PandoraLogoProposals

- I was thinking of using a P which is very square and almost plastic... playing only with black and white of the background (logos 1 and 2)
- also playing with the greek alphabet in the second type (PA) - I am not happy with the lower part of it - maybe I should omit the name pandora as such and leave it with the PA only (logo no. 3)
- the others are just different types of pure pandora name (logos 4, 5, 6)

Feedback is welcome! :)

P.S. Cool... after all these months of lurking in the background... my first message! :)

evilwallpaper said:
something Ive been tinkering about with

pandy878.gif
Now that is impressive! I like it alot!

All of the desings everyone is bringing out now are fantastic :)

craigix said:
I'm interested in your ideas for what the official pandora website should look like too, friendly & simple? Geeky? etc.
Been trying out a possible web layout design etc
Its just a very quick mock up though...

I personally feel that alot of the current gp32x features should be implemented. The news system works great, the new files are easy to access and so on.

websitemockup03.jpg

websitemockup03annotations.jpg

As for this design, dont forget its a single scrren view. The finished page would scroll and feature alot more news reports and the 'recent forum posts' box that were all familiar with!

For those who didnt see my designs earlier today, the ones that are used in this layout. Here is a link to them
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&am...st&p=581728

ill be back shortly ;)

Adam

Cauterize said:
*snip snip*
Looks very nice. However, I think that you should try switching the main "frame" with the menu frame on the left so that the important stuff, the news, comes first. An "about" link at the top would probably be appreciated by new visitors as well.

However, it looks very very promising. The colours are nice and light (could maybe be a LITTLE bit lighter) and the set-up is kind of a tried-and-tested approach that tends to work. Easy to navigate and nice to look at.

evilwallpaper said:
something Ive been tinkering about with

<snip>
I love that logo.

Cauterize said:
<snip>

I personally feel that alot of the current gp32x features should be implemented. The news system works great, the new files are easy to access and so on.

<snip>

As for this design, dont forget its a single scrren view. The finished page would scroll and feature alot more news reports and the 'recent forum posts' box that were all familiar with!

<snip>
Looking great [: (and professional)
My only complaint is that there should be some sort of introduction above the news so people can quickly get an idea of what the site is all about, or a menu button for it.

I cba to set up an image hosting account so I posted my logo in my profile pic :)

I'm more of an old school 2d artist from the c64 and Amiga days so the design, based on an exploding box is very simple and was created on my Amiga as I haven't got any paint packages on my PC.

I've nicked my effort to use as my Avatar. Eye catching maybe, but a bit naff in light of the competition ;)

i like it as well. i'm worried that it's too similar to the sgi logo though.

edit: on second thought, i gave it another look and it's pretty different after all.

My two pence worth.

I like this font the best (from Cauterize):

biglogo2.jpg

And the box logo here the best (from evilwallpaper):

pandy878.gif

And on the similarity to the SGI logo (I knew it reminded me of something), they changed their logo to something _really_ ugly in 1999:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Graphics

They very much needed (but obviously didn't have) talented individuals of the sort found in this forum.

Back