Pandora Logo?

Chip said:
I would, however, suggest against embossing the logo (whichever is chosen) on the cover. No matter how professional the logo looks, nothing is going to be more professional than a slick, clean device.
I suggested at one point that it'd be "etched" into the cover, but how about this: The logo bit is treated to give it a different texture to the rest of the surface, so if the surface is shiny, the logo is matte. No difference in height, just texture. Would be nice. Dunno how easily applied that is, though. It's probably then easier with one of those "stickers" that aren't really stickers, if you know what I mean...

rokdcasbah said:
retro.png
Awesome work on that one. I really like the very very subtle hint at the box theme. A lot of the other box designs are too clunky, but this one stands out to me as very good and with a distinct profile to it. It's looking into the box but it's also kind of like a "check".

Me likey!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a bit of a play, but since i have almost no artistic talent whatsoever, i seem to have just ended up with a scribble :/

logo.jpg

An actual version of this would use blue > white gradients, more 'swishy' movement for the 'jumping' effect.

The V shaped thing at the bottom would be a styalised side view of an open pandora.

The items flying out of the box show some of the functions (game, ebook, mp3 player, and films), more / less could be used.

'open the box' is a tagline that could go with the advertising campaign.

Thank you for all the replies and comments about the logos i produced last night.
Ive read through each of the comments and taken your advice on board.
Ive reduced the embossment on the 6th logo to take away a small amount of the 'femininity' (is that a word?)
Ive also taken on board Tobriand's suggestions regarding fonts and decided that combining the font of the 5th and the symbol of the 6th to create a new design.

Also to give them more of a new look ive tried a new colour scheme and also placed them into the pandora mock up!

The # looking thing is just a small design loosly based on the D-Pad. Obviously a gaming device needs a gaming symbol of some sort :p

07.jpg

Flattened Out

08.jpg

Blue

09.jpg

10.jpg

New Combination 1

11.jpg

New Combination 2

panlayout1.jpg

panlayout2.jpg

And due to boredom i placed the two logos on a mac esque backdrop i created...

biglogo1.jpg

biglogo2.jpg

Cheers again for the feedback!

Adam

I really like some of these, remember to use fonts which are not copyrighted.

I think there are packs of free fonts without any copyright, or maybe GPL fonts although then I suspect we could not stop other people sticking the logo on their product either.

The logo will in turn lead to the final website design too. I like the soft friendly look.

Alex. said:
Here's a little something from me, I tried to incorporate p&|a in

01.png
Very nice. Good compromise between geekness and readability of the logo! :) Maybe you should change the font to something more interesting and maybe you could try to seperate the front and the Back more, the grey shouldnt touch the blue. This way the Logo could be used for an relief to. :)

Cauterize said:
07.jpg

Flattened Out
Adam

To rounded font for my taste. Your other font looks better for the Device. (The Pandora is very "squary" so it needs an more blocky-Font )

rokdcasbah said:
nice one alex.

retro.png

i'll call this "the retro one". i'm trying to remember who it reminds me of. maybe intellivision?

Cool thing. Font maybe too round to but the Idea is good.

I managed to get hold of a copy of photoshop, and whipped up a couple more.

I tried to use a feminine typeface here, to go with the name, but not TOO feminine.

I also tried out a font similar to Adam's.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Added drop shadow, as per private request

craigix said:
I really like some of these, remember to use fonts which are not copyrighted.

I think there are packs of free fonts without any copyright, or maybe GPL fonts although then I suspect we could not stop other people sticking the logo on their product either.

The logo will in turn lead to the final website design too. I like the soft friendly look.
If free fonts won't fit the bill for one reason or another, once a logo design is chosen, how about just creating a slightly different font set containing ONLY the required letters (ex., Pandora or pandora) and then, if desired, copyrighting it? What are the "derivative" precedents in the copyright law with respect to fonts? I have no idea...

As long as the fonts are not copyrighted, surely you can then copyright the design rather than the typeface? Ie, using that font elsewhere is fine, but using it on a product to say the word "Pandora" following by the logo is trademarked.

Squidge said:
As long as the fonts are not copyrighted, surely you can then copyright the design rather than the typeface? Ie, using that font elsewhere is fine, but using it on a product to say the word "Pandora" following by the logo is trademarked.

Agreed, that's why I said "if desired." The primary aim was to allow the use of copyrighted fonts to come up with a logo design, then altering it slightly to a different font. And the only reason I even suggest this is that I _really_ like some of the designs here, but I'll bet they were produced with copyrighted fonts and from my impression of PD fonts via the use of various flavors of linux, they typically aren't very pretty. But, that's just a general impression and a similar enough PD font might be able to be found for any given design initially created using copyrighted fonts. If not, how about just getting the rights to use the copyrighted font in the final logo and then copyrighting the logo?

Found this on the typically confusing issue of copyrights, this time with respect to font derivatives:

http://www.typophile.com/node/4731

Different laws in different countries makes it a very complex issue. This comment is applicable:

"There are many advertising agencies that take their Adobe Type Library fonts and modify them as part of a 'new' corporate typeface identity for their clients.

That is where the real problem lies, not with individual use."

Here's one I've played with. The font is probably copyrighted (Skia) but the point is kind of the logo thingy.

pandoralogo1.jpg

I designed it around the principle of the symbol for chaos (eight "spikes" pointing in different directions) the box (square in the middle) and the variability and versatility of the machine (rounded edges and slightly more aggressive pointed ones alternating as well as the chaos symbol itself, of course).

Now, it's by no means a slick logo, but I think it's a direction worth thinking about for someone who would be able to create something more complete and professional-looking.

Everybody seems to enjoy putting these reflective effects on their pics, so I'm following suit. It should work equally well without the mirrror effect... Here's one of just the logo:

cleanlogo1.jpg

Alex. said:

01.png
This is win. 10. The little cloverleaf thing might go well here, too.

Or maybe you could put that inside an open box?

Alex. said:

01.png
This one, while the best use of p&|a I have seen yet, is kind of drab and corporate-looking. I like the idea, but it lacks "pop", if you know what I mean.

I still haven't seen anything with ovaries. I'm kind of disappointed, lol.

Seriously, though, I did like a lot of those designs with that clover-like logo. I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to be, but it's the best I've seen so far.

Yrx said:
I still haven't seen anything with ovaries. I'm kind of disappointed, lol.

Seriously, though, I did like a lot of those designs with that clover-like logo. I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to be, but it's the best I've seen so far.
The clover-like logo seems to be an abstraction of the hash logo he also explored. Incidentally, it was that clover combined with someone else's comment on it symbolising the openness of the Pandora that gave me the inspiration for the design I posted. Not necessarily an improvement, but a variation. ^_^

I'm interested in your ideas for what the official pandora website should look like too, friendly & simple? Geeky? etc.

Hmmm... friendly is nice (soft colours/design)
I don't wanna sound lame, but a design kinda like your GBAX website would be awesome :)

Can someone do me a favor?

If you go here, there's a list of runes. If someone could make a design incorporating a stylized version of the O rune and P rune, that would be cool. I have no artistic skill whatsoever, or I would do it myself, lol.

My reasoning behind this has a couple layers. First of all, runes by themself will add to the mysterious nature of the name "Pandora." A logo just featuring these two runes (O and P for OpenPandora, if you didn't get it) without any text would be awesome for viral ads. Just picture a black page in a magazine with just those two symbols in white, and a link to openpandora.org at the bottom. I know that would pique my curiousity.

Another reason for this is the dual nature of runes. The O rune means "estate" or "inheritance," which I think is perfect considering how Pandora will inherit from the GP2X. The P rune means "chance" or "fate," and there's another word used caled "orlog." I found a quote on another website that describes the concept.

Orlog
Orlog is described in Nordic mythology as being the external law of the Universe. It seems at times to be a kind of 'Primal Goddess', an entity without beginning or ending, older and superior even than the gods and giants. The decrees of Orlog could not be set aside, and it was the pattern set by Orlog that the Norns wove, themselves bound by powers beyond their control.

'LOG', derived from Old Norwegian LAGU, means 'law', only it is a much broader, more binding, concept than our modern word. It also encompassed the concept of 'lore', knowledge and wisdom of the past, for use in the present. The term 'OR-LOG' means something along the lines of First Law, Primal Law, Ultimate Law (The Law, as in the Law or Word of God). Also, it could be seen as First Principle or Primal Layer. To sum up, and to greatly understate it, Orlog is the ultimate purpose, or great plan, of Creation.

Arrogant? Sure. But it's pretty darned cool. :)

So if someone would like to take my suggestion, the specific runes I was talking about can be found on the Wikipedia article I linked to earlier, and also right here.

Here's something different from my first idea:

02.png

Edit: some variations

03.png

04.png

Back