Pandora Laser Engraving?

CandidStan

Is it possible to engrave a pandora? I'm wondering since I have no idea how hard the shell is.

(oddly enough I almost wanted to say is it possible to laser engrave a panda :ph34r: )

CandidStan said:
(oddly enough I almost wanted to say is it possible to laser engrave a panda :ph34r: )

that would be fun in google searches by some environmentalists :p

but seriously, i think it would wear off/in after a while. Depends on how much you use it ofcourse ;).
But im not an expert so correct me if i'm wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, in theory yes it would eventually wear down, however that would require the removal of the surface material surrounding the engraved image or what have you. However I plan on having it engraved quite deep, and then fill in the engraved "canals" for lack of a better word, with red paint to make it stand out a bit more. Then I'll cover it with some sort of lacquer.

I am currently doing something like this with a ds lite. I can tell you that paint is not the way to go. What you want is colored resin. Just pour a thin, uniform layer over the entire surface of the Pandora (After the engraving) and let harden. Sand it down until you are really close to the plastic, then start using 600 grit. Once bits of black plastic start showing, switch to 1200 grit. Eventually, you will have sanded away all the resin that is not in the laser engraved grooves. Using a slightly abrasive polish, rub it till it shines. Now using a very fine microfiber cloth, polish it with water for about 5 hours. it helps to watch tv during this stage. Congratulations, you have a Pandora with a stock looking finish, plus an uber cool engraving! You could spray it with enamel at this stage, but that would make it look kind of weird, IMO. If you need help, jsut ask.

palmertech said:
I am currently doing something like this with a ds lite. I can tell you that paint is not the way to go. What you want is colored resin. Just pour a thin, uniform layer over the entire surface of the Pandora (After the engraving) and let harden. Sand it down until you are really close to the plastic, then start using 600 grit. Once bits of black plastic start showing, switch to 1200 grit. Eventually, you will have sanded away all the resin that is not in the laser engraved grooves. Using a slightly abrasive polish, rub it till it shines. Now using a very fine microfiber cloth, polish it with water for about 5 hours. it helps to watch tv during this stage. Congratulations, you have a Pandora with a stock looking finish, plus an uber cool engraving! You could spray it with enamel at this stage, but that would make it look kind of weird, IMO. If you need help, jsut ask.
mmhm... that sounds like a lot of work. I might as well just have it silk screened.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, do it right! :p You don't need to do as many steps as I did, but they way I told you will give optimal results. Silk screening is pretty good, though; But not as good as laser engraving by a long shot. I hope that the Pandora has a blank lid, the molded DS Lite logo is a pain to get perfectly smooth.

you probably wouldn't pour anything, you'd have to brush it on.

Besides, I think I'd rather have a full color image anyway. Now I have to figure out how to print an image on my Pandora :/

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, its like 2 ply paper that peals off to reveal your image. Do they make packets of printable paper that do the same thing?

Back