Embedded laser projector

edlee

Recent advances in the miniaturization of green laser diodes from companies such as OSRAM have made possible miniature laser projection systems from a company named MicroVision.  I have used a SHOWWX laser projector from MicroVision to project games like Tempest on the living room wall.  It's fun to play with a giant image of a classic arcade game.  The SHOWWX laser projector is about the size of a cell phone and uses the older green laser technology where an infrared laser is beamed through a nonlinear optical crystal to produce green light and then bounced off a tiny moving mirror.  The new green laser diodes are smaller and would make possible an even smaller laser projector.  MicroVision also has the technology to project lasers with different polarizations so that you can wear polarized glasses and view images in 3D like in some movie theaters, but this technology has not yet been commercialized.  It would be nice to have a laser projector in a future handheld computer.

Sounds good to me too, I'd like to play some of those classics like Asteroids on a projection

I think you're still talking about a 2nd machine that could connect to the HDMI or Dual Mode Display Port (DMDP) connection on a DragonBox (insertnamehere).

What would be cool is a small plastic attachment that allows you to connect one of these projectors to the bottom of the P2. No need to integrate it natively but as an attachment im all for it

Sounds like something you should rely on the USB connector market for.  And if you want the Pandora 2 to be any better equip to use the tiny future USB attached projector, devise a discrete solid USB hub attachment.

If you set a computer that has an embedded laser projector on a table, then that will stabilize the projection.
Then, what's the interest of buying a handheld computer to set it on a table when projecting?
The next device (made by ED) will have a digital video output (probably HDMI or DisplayLink for which exist ~10€ adapter to HDMI or any other system allowing to output HDMI signal via cheap adapter)

There is no interest to inflate the price (showwx projector isn't what I would call cheap : ~$600 on amazon) of the next device for a feature, when people wanting a projector could just buy one…

Moreover, that projector would be useable with any compatible devices.

And since the projector is only linked to the device with an HDMI cable, you'll be able to keep your handheld computer in your hands to play/type/whatever and still enjoying a great image stability.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I am talking about an embedded laser projection module.
I"d like to have an embedded shotgun for hunting during the weekends. Please make it possible.

Any other good idea like that? Oh, I forgot, please include a toaster and a coffee machine in the Pandora, since it would be very useful every morning when I wake up.

And a hair dryer, too.

If you don't see the value of having an embedded laser projector, then you don't have to get one.  Some computer models could have embedded laser projectors, and some might not.  Besides playing games, you can watch movies, potentially 3D movies, with a laser projector, and not have to squint to see small text on a small screen when using the computer for any other task.

If there are any SHOWWX projectors selling for $600, then that demonstrates demand for them, because they were originally sold for about half that price.  Here is an OEM version of the SHOWWX on sale for $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IConnect-Laser-Pico-Projector-for-iPod-iPhone-or-iPad-Microvision-ShowWX-/231093806941?pt=Other_Tablet_eReader_Accessories&hash=item35ce43a75d

The SHOWWX projectors have been discontinued in favor of the newer, smaller laser projector modules which incorporate green laser diodes.  The prices of the components which make up a laser projection module will naturally come down as sales volumes increase.  The new green laser diodes will also contribute to a smaller bill of materials.

Whether or not any of you think it is a bad idea, smaller standalone and embedded laser projection modules are coming, whether or not it is in any successor to the Pandora computer.

Whether or not any of you think it is a bad idea, smaller standalone and embedded laser projection modules are coming, whether or not it is in any successor to the Pandora computer.
The pandora's successor is going to be produced in small quantities - as in ten or twenty thousand -, compared to other devices (probably smartphones produced by foxconn for 100$ and sold for about 600$) - produced by hundred of thousand -.Small quantities equals higher manufacturing and parts prices.

That means that adding an integrated projector is probably going to multiply the price of the device by 1.5 … is it really worth it?

Answer : No since you can get a standalone projector -that you can buy for 150$ from a chinese manufacturer that mass-produce them- that will work with your pandora, phone, laptop, desktop and probably many more devices.

So please, stop asking for gadget like those to be integrated to pandora's successor, thanks

If you don't see the value of having an embedded laser projector, then you don't have to get one.  Some computer models could have embedded laser projectors, and some might not.  Besides playing games, you can watch movies, potentially 3D movies, with a laser projector, and not have to squint to see small text on a small screen when using the computer for any other task.
As said higher pandora's successor is going to be produced in small quantities. That means that making multiple models is not affordable for such a small project. Forget about that integrated projector and buy an standalone one.

This smells like spam.

Obviously building a projector into a handheld does not make sense. It even makes no sense to put it in a laptop, and that's a device that you do actually put on the table.

Having a picoprojector as a separate device of course does make sense - e.g. Linux-SWAT uses that setup to demonstrate the Pandora. But integrated into the handheld itself? No way.

No, I am talking about an embedded laser projection module.

I"d like to have an embedded shotgun for hunting during the weekends. Please make it possible.

Any other good idea like that? Oh, I forgot, please include a toaster and a coffee machine in the Pandora, since it would be very useful every morning when I wake up.

And a hair dryer, too.
You're forgetting that it has to run Windows Server 2003 for the highest performance to cost ratio

No, I am not spamming on behalf of MicroVision.  MicroVision will most likely not do direct business with a small business like OpenPandora.  The CEO stated as much in previous conference calls.  That is why it will take time for the laser projection technology to become common enough that it is not a problem to get extra units that are left over from major production runs of other products.

This forum is for making suggestions, so I made one.  Receiving static from other members telling me to shut up or ridiculing me or telling me that I am wrong or suggesting that I have ulterior motives is not conducive to a rational discussion.

Back