Pandora Heat

Creature XL said:
Its really amazing what you all know about the ARM processors which are made for embedded purpose and don't get hot CAUSE they are designed for fan less designs.

However, THAT was never the question of the OP. :)
Are you sure...? I read "Thats a fast Processor how much heat will it generate?" as a question about the processor generating heat, myself. ;) Maybe I misunderstood?

(Even though my own earlier post was really in response to Rivus' post. :p)

EDIT: And the third post didn't come from the OP, by the looks of it... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
polkunus said:
mini liquid cooling system anyone? or haul a phase changer with you.

Micro Phase change systems already exist. They are on the order of $10,000 though. Might put a hamper on modding the Pandora... Oh and they are mostly exclusive to research. I don't think the companies that do make them would sell them to anyone else since the actually production is quite low and is basically reserved for research.

polkunus said:
mini liquid cooling system anyone? or haul a phase changer with you.
It's not really needed as the Pandora is already way cool.

The CPU can get warm but there isn't a need for a fan, I think Notaz maxed the Pandora CPU a while back (turning on the L2 Cache I think made the difference) and it was warm to touch but nothing more.

I wonder if the OMAP4 (if it gets made) would need a heat sink. A little radiator grill on the back of your Pandora2, might look quite cool :)

craigix said:
The CPU can get warm but there isn't a need for a fan, I think Notaz maxed the Pandora CPU a while back (turning on the L2 Cache I think made the difference) and it was warm to touch but nothing more.

I wonder if the OMAP4 (if it gets made) would need a heat sink. A little radiator grill on the back of your Pandora2, might look quite cool :)
cool, so there IS going to be a pandora 2? :eek:

craigix said:
...of your Pandora2...
OMG PANDORA 2???
CAN I PLAY XBOX GAMES ON IT?!? WHEN CAN I PREORDER??!!!1
;)
EDIT: Hahahaha....jakshep :rolleyes:

craigix said:

wait the L2 chace is off? on default?

polkunus said:
craigix said:

I think that on boot everything may be off, or at a default setting to ensure safe boot. Then the software devs and firmware/OS people need to find the registers to push to enable the neat features. It probably doesn't really make a big difference in a cellphone or PDA anyway, only people running crazy emulators or games :).

We kind of went through this with the GP2X where the ram was set a certain way in the OS, and we needed to set it for normal access to get a speed boost.

Anybody who has a clue what is going on, feel free to chime in, this is just what I assume is going on.

Edit: See Squidge's post, I was on the right track, but way off :), this is one of the neat parts about having scene devs making the firmware and using NDA tools, we get good software right out of the gate :D.

polkunus said:
The L2 was off by default on the MK0 compatible kernels (getting something working was kinda more important). Of course it is now on by default, and will be the same in production Panda's.

Squidge said:
The L2 was off by default on the MK0 compatible kernels (getting something working was kinda more important). Of course it is now on by default, and will be the same in production Panda's.

Hmmm, I knew there was a reason Craigx was using a Chinese Company for Production. So.... What kind of Bamboo do we have to feed it? Also, I believe all Mammals maintain a body temp of right around ~100 F. So.... it may be slightly warm... and cudly, but not hot. If it is, take it to vet.

PS, Make sure to make up some story about finding it lost on the highway or something.

AireTamStorm said:
Creature XL said:
Just for the experienced ARM experts here: my cell phone gets really hot after 50 minutes of talking.
Thats your RADIO, and battery after high drain.

Creature XL said:
And... my GP2x (it has an ARM inside) gets hot after 1 or 2 hours of playing.
Quite unfortunately, I know that one too. It is the mere two AAs being sucked to death in a device type they were never designed for.

Those 2 AA cells collectively make a 2500mah 2.4v rechargeable battery, indistinguishable from any other nimh battery (which are all made from 1.2v cells). As a matter of fact, if you take apart the average nimh latptop battery, you will find most of them are made out of nimh rechargeable AA cells. Ni-cad cells can discharge their entire charge in less than 15 minutes quite safely and with little heat. NIMH batteries have slightly higher internal resistance, but nevertheless are quite well suited for a device like the gp2x and perform similarly to nicads in this respect (but with longer life). 3 cells would have made a longer lasting battery, but the fact that they are nimh makes them quite suitable for the gp2x. Gamepark has always recomended nimh batteries, even including them in some of the packages.
Lithium Polymer batteries, while generally more energy dense, can not deliver as much energy relative to their capacity as nimh or ni-cad, due to a higher internal resistance. Lithium Polymer batteries, while having higher energy density by weight and by volume are not without their problems. For one, when they fail, it can be quite spectacularly. Fire, smoke, sparks and severe swelling are all potential problems with lithium polymer batteries. They do have their advantages, but they are not perfect. They are really the best available right now. But NIMH rechargeable batteries are fine for the gp2x whether in a proprietary box (with AA or AAA's in them), or as individual AA's.

Chris

snorghot.gif

Back