Pandora Heat

cherrycyanide

Website
Visit site
I was just wondering how hot the Pandora would be after playing with it for a couple of hours. Thats a fast Processor how much heat will it generate? (sorry if this has already been covered) :D

Its a fanless, heatless design. Cool enough to keep your hands from sweating and will chill all drinks nearby ;)

Soulkiller said:
Its a fanless, heatless design. Cool enough to keep your hands from sweating and will chill all drinks nearby ;)
I've heard this, but what about the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
To get 10 hours of gameplay I'm pretty sure the developers will make sure as little energy is wasted as heat from the battery.

ingrin said:
Soulkiller said:
I've heard this, but what about the battery?

The battery will also be a fanless, heatless design ;)

Man, I hope id really does release the Tech 4 source code... Then run Doom III on the badboy, and see if this whole "heatless" thing adds up.

Doom III turned my Dell laptop into a supernova back in the day.

Rivus, your Dell laptop would without a doubt have used an x86 processor - those things run hot and were, as I understand it, never designed with efficiency as a primary concern. :p The Pandora uses an ARM processor - ARMs simply don't heat up, and they were generally always designed for efficiency and "embedded" applications. ;)

I beg to differ - the Pandora already has a lot of fans because it's so **** hot.

ashdjones said:
I beg to differ - the Pandora already has a lot of fans because it's so **** hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE...feature=related

Rumour has it that it is so hot could you could fry eggs off it's case!

Also doing the rounds, if you stick a slice of bread between the clamshell, you will indeed have toast.

nb. don't hold me to this though! :D

Rivus said:
Man, I hope id really does release the Tech 4 source code... Then run Doom III on the badboy, and see if this whole "heatless" thing adds up.

Doom III turned my Dell laptop into a supernova back in the day.
My laptop get very, very warm even with the cores turned down to 800mhz and no battery in it (I keep the battery out of the laptop when I'm home so it lasts longer). Granted the laptop is a Turion64x2 and the Pandora is a specialized chip, but it's got to generate some heat.

Chris

All ARM procs are designed to be Fanless. They are not all designed to be able to operate without a heatsink, but in general Procs of this nature whic are also intended for phones have no trouble operating without a heatsink.

You have to remember that unlike an x86 core, ARM cores are designed from the ground up, including instruction set, for the embedded low power realm. You can not compare an x86 core to an ARM core in performance, power draw, or heat dissipation.

atomicthumbs said:
How about the LCD? I remember my old laptop, which apparently used incandescent lights for the backlight. :p
LED backlight.

It won't get hot. Don't use x86 devices as a gauge.

sindbad said:
atomicthumbs said:
How about the LCD? I remember my old laptop, which apparently used incandescent lights for the backlight. :p
LED backlight.

whoosh is the sound of a joke flying over your head

atomicthumbs said:
sindbad said:
atomicthumbs said:
LED backlight.

whoosh is the sound of a joke flying over your head

I think you just got whooshed also. :p

Old MacDonald had a forum
Ee i ee i o
And on his forum were told some jokes
Ee i ee i o
And a whoosh whoosh here
And a whoosh whoosh there...

:p

Its really amazing what you all know about the ARM processors which are made for embedded purpose and don't get hot CAUSE they are designed for fan less designs.

However, THAT was never the question of the OP. :)

Just for the experienced ARM experts here: my cell phone gets really hot after 50 minutes of talking. And... my GP2x (it has an ARM inside) gets hot after 1 or 2 hours of playing.
It is NOT the ARM CPU inside the phone nor the GP2x, its the battery which gets hot. And now reread the question of the OP and reconcinder your answers :)

P.S.: mayb eread teh 3rd post again which clearly asks about teh battery and NOT the CPU.

Creature XL said:
Just for the experienced ARM experts here: my cell phone gets really hot after 50 minutes of talking.
Thats your RADIO, and battery after high drain.

Creature XL said:
And... my GP2x (it has an ARM inside) gets hot after 1 or 2 hours of playing.
Quite unfortunately, I know that one too. It is the mere two AAs being sucked to death in a device type they were never designed for.

ARM CPUs don't get hot before their battery and peripherals, that is for damn sure.
Edit: You may want to consider that the way the author phrased the first post, he was (perhaps unintentionally) eluding to the CPU / GPU (intensive workloads) heating up the unit. He even mentioned "processor".

To answer the "3rd post"- the battery has a very large capacity, so I wouldn't expect it to get warm until near the end of the charge / discharge cycle.

Back