Pandora Desktop

I don't think, that this would be as easy as you think...

First of all, a desktop pandora should support a higher resolution - but most applications are made for 800x480. Even with Upscaling, it would still look like a foreign body on a TV. Most TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio, maybe 4:3 (old ones). The pandora has 5:3 (15:9), so the image is strechted or you get bars.

For the higher resolution it would only make sense to use a better cpu, too.

But most better CPUs are not better, because they are much faster, but they have multi cores. Because the "original" pandora only has one cpu, no application is optimized for more than one core.

And how would you implement the input? A gamepad with Nubs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not worth the effort - but it would be cool. Just use narcissus and find a compatible image for (new) board type, add software, download and then try get libPND running (plus whatever other voodoo runs on pandora). But we will lose the SD hot swap. I guess we will have to use USB

Sigh.

The idea, for me at least (and I do think that most guys on here don't think I'm a total dickhead) is this:

A desktop Pandora - an ARM based desktop box that runs the same SZ (or compatible) as the handheld. PNDs you run on the pandora would run on the desktop without modification. Maybe synch your appdata directories with the handheld and vice-versa.

Yes, you can just download the software you want on any linux box and compile. But this isn't aimed at the linux and C/C++ whizzes here; it's for people like Kumaki who can't (and indeed won't) learn to build stuff - they can just hit the synch button and have their games, emulators, utils etc available on the big screen in a large box with a HDD.

Maybe a management app which allows you to choose which PNDs (with appdata etc) you want on the Pandora this particular time, from a library that's too huge to stick on two SD cards.

Who knows? The idea isn't without merit.

D.
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make.  Why do people buy Apple products like crazy?  Because most Apple users are computer illiterate like my f$%^$$%ing boss  :p .  Apple makes it so easy for them.  

I don't think, that this would be as easy as you think...

First of all, a desktop pandora should support a higher resolution - but most applications are made for 800x480. Even with Upscaling, it would still look like a foreign body on a TV. Most TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio, maybe 4:3 (old ones). The pandora has 5:3 (15:9), so the image is strechted or you get bars.

For the higher resolution it would only make sense to use a better cpu, too.

But most better CPUs are not better, because they are much faster, but they have multi cores. Because the "original" pandora only has one cpu, no application is optimized for more than one core.

And how would you implement the input? A gamepad with Nubs?
True all valid points.. I just said it will run PNDs and run Angstrom like the Pandora does..  didn't say it would be ideal..

Game controls seems like something easy to work around though.. video resolution and performance not so much.

Sigh.

The idea, for me at least (and I do think that most guys on here don't think I'm a total dickhead) is this:

A desktop Pandora - an ARM based desktop box that runs the same SZ (or compatible) as the handheld. PNDs you run on the pandora would run on the desktop without modification. Maybe synch your appdata directories with the handheld and vice-versa.

Yes, you can just download the software you want on any linux box and compile. But this isn't aimed at the linux and C/C++ whizzes here; it's for people like Kumaki who can't (and indeed won't) learn to build stuff - they can just hit the synch button and have their games, emulators, utils etc available on the big screen in a large box with a HDD.

Maybe a management app which allows you to choose which PNDs (with appdata etc) you want on the Pandora this particular time, from a library that's too huge to stick on two SD cards.

D.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Why do people buy Apple products like crazy? Because most Apple users are computer illiterate like my f$%^$$%ing boss :p . Apple makes it so easy for them.
Dude... Really?
I use apple computers. MBP and an MBA.

Computer illiterate?

Rude!

VMWARE is great, I run Linux full screen, win 7 full screen and osx. I generally run all 3 at the same time.

Yep - apple does make it simple and honestly they have ruined their OS since 10.5. Blocking the installation of software (unless you go through and go find it and unlock it). But the OSX was fine - Not happy having everything linked. F'ing HATE IT.

Although - I am looking at replacing my MB Air with a Sony vaio duo - but I'm trying to find if Ubuntu has full support for the screen yet.

Sigh.

D.

This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Why do people buy Apple products like crazy? Because most Apple users are computer illiterate like my f$%^$$%ing boss :p . Apple makes it so easy for them.
Dude... Really?
I use apple computers. MBP and an MBA.

Computer illiterate?

Rude!

VMWARE is great, I run Linux full screen, win 7 full screen and osx. I generally run all 3 at the same time.

Yep - apple does make it simple and honestly they have ruined their OS since 10.5. Blocking the installation of software (unless you go through and go find it and unlock it). But the OSX was fine - Not happy having everything linked. F'ing HATE IT.

Although - I am looking at replacing my MB Air with a Sony vaio duo - but I'm trying to find if Ubuntu has full support for the screen yet.
I did say "most Apple users..." didn't I?  I didn't say "all Apple users..."

I have Sony Vaio duo and ubuntu runs perfectly on it.

IMHO, the PND system on the Pandora is a genius idea.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any other OS uses the PND idea.  Just download the PND you need and boom it's installed - no need to go thru installation BS.  Dont' need a program?  Just delete the PND and it's gone.  No need for uninstallation BS.  PND system is clean, and light weight.  For people who cannot even know how to uninstall a PND, just use _wb_'s bzar's PNDManager, it's awesome!  I like the Repo than Apple Store.  All the PNDs are free and are full versions of the applications whereas you have to pay for most of the full applications on Apple Store.  

Nice! Multi touch?

Is the vaio duo 11 (or 13). The slider style?

I have to use eBay to get a better price!

I work with Sony and can't get a decent price (SQL dev and Systems supervisor).

Nice! Multi touch?

Is the vaio duo 11 (or 13). The slider style?

I have to use eBay to get a better price!

I work with Sony and can't get a decent price (SQL dev and Systems supervisor).
OOH Sorry!  I thought you meant Vaio Laptop with Duo Core :D .  Now I feel like one of those computer illiterates  :D

Hahahahahaha!

Nah - it's a groovy convertible/slider style or in reality - a tablet with keyboard.

Why do people buy Apple products like crazy?  Because most Apple users are computer illiterate like my f$%^$$%ing boss  :p .  Apple makes it so easy for them.
Actually seems like bosses buy Apple things to make their employees configure them...

Back